4890 vs 5850

funkysnair

VIP Member
Still, the difference is very small. 2 -10 fps.. That's really not worth the extra 100 buck. On the other side, you'll get DX11.. But, the card wont do any good with tesselation. Try run the card with tesselation in heaven.. I'm just saying that it won't handle upcoming DX11 titles with tesselation good.. You know that.

It won't handle BC2 in 1920x1080 in DX11.. In DX 10 it will struggle, and you'll need to lower either resolution or settings. I'm sorry, but that's a fact.. If this card only performs 3 - 10 fps better than 275 then i can with my own experiences tell you that it wont do any good...

I almost double my fps in this game when i activate my second card. It seems like newer games are taking full advantage of Sli. Even benches such as Heaven doubles my fps.

4xMSAA, 16xAF, HBAO, 1080p etc.. 85 fps average in Sli.. 43-45 with one..

60fps is good in my opinion. I don't consider anything below 60 good even if its playable.

If i get 43-45 fps average with one card, then 5850 will probably get something like 30 fps in DX11 and 55-60 in DX10. So it does a good job in DX10, but not in DX11.. Thats why i'm asking. Is it really worth buying that only for the DX11?

do i have a special card then? mine plays flaweless hmmm never mind, you know best cos your running one lol

Ryeong

take a look at some of those games, good example is street fighter IV, nearly 100% gain over the GTX275. Futher, Left 4 Dead is also almost 75% gain, Enemy Territory quake wars is nearly 100% gain, CoH is 20fps, etc

Yea, but we all know that those games are very ATi-optimized..

The Left4Dead graph for gtx 275 is godly-wrong lmao! I used to play that game with a single 275 before i bought my second. And i had around 50 fps with the exact same settings. :confused: But, i lowered the 8xMSAA to 4xMSAA so i had around 60 fps. :D

do i have a special card then? mine plays flaweless hmmm never mind, you know best cos your running one lol

GTX 275 in sli is better than 5850. But, what so ever both cards can max that game out just fine (but not 5850 in DX11, with DX10 its np) :)

Matthew1990

Matthew1990

Is GTX 275 more expensive than 5850?.. i have two gtx 275's in my rig..:eek:

But, if you have really decided to only buy one of those two, go for 5850. But keep in mind that both those cards DO suck in terms of performance in new games..

I disagree, I play BC2 on med with GTS 250, maxes out MW2 and plays JC2 on high with no problems.

Ryeong

I disagree, I play BC2 on med with GTS 250, maxes out MW2 and plays JC2 on high with no problems.

That must be in a patetic low res' Without 4xAA, 16xAF and HBAO. Because gts 250 is not even close to a GTX 260.. 260 is considered old, and my 275 will be considered old too within one month. (even if i can max games out):eek:

Edit: Medium setttings= no good in my opinion. That's even irrelevant..:rolleyes:

l4d.png

It took 20 mins to read thru the comments

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GV-R585D5-1GD-B-Radeon-HD-5850-1GB-ATX-HDMI-Graphics-Card

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-...MHz-800-Cores-2x-DVI-HDTV-HDCP-plus-Stormrise

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-...GPU-648MHz-Shader-1476MHz-240-Cores-2x-DL-DVI

The prices still haven't gone down, I think this will happen as soon as Fermi hit the shelves....they are due to be in stock on 12th. We will see if the price drop.

If you search some more, you'll see a price difference from 90-120 Dollars around Europe. The prices in American should be MUCH lower, so...:p

Last edited:

bomberboysk

The Left4Dead graph for gtx 275 is godly-wrong lmao! I used to play that game with a single 275 before i bought my second. And i had around 50 fps with the exact same settings. :confused: But, i lowered the 8xMSAA to 4xMSAA so i had around 60 fps. :D

GTX 275 in sli is better than 5850. But, what so ever both cards can max that game out just fine (but not 5850 in DX11, with DX10 its np) :)

That graph is at 2560x1600, i highly doubt you have a display with that resolution, the gtx275's lack of vram is what hurts it at those res's.

funkysnair

VIP Member

at the end of the day im running the 5850 at stock settings on high-dx11 with no notice of lag etc etc!

i think for people to say the 5850 is underpowered dx11 gpu are sadly mistaken

you rock your gtx275's in sli and compare them with one single 5850 its your choice go ahead even though the gtx275's retail for the same if not a little lower price than the 5850 (where i shop)

how about we talk about 5850 in crossfire alongside the gtx275 in sli?

Ryeong

That graph is at 2560x1600, i highly doubt you have a display with that resolution, the gtx275's lack of vram is what hurts it at those res's.

Yes, i do have a display with 2560x1600 in my living room ^^ not mine though. I'm currently using a 1080p 42'' LCD. But, like i said..

I used those settings with that resolution. I ran 2560x1600 with around 50 fps OC'ed! <-- Keep that in mind, also i used the latest nvidia driver at that time as well. :eek:

I've seen many benches that's very innacurate, also they vary a lot from one review to another.. that's why i don't trust them so much any more..:(

at the end of the day im running the 5850 at stock settings on high-dx11 with no notice of lag etc etc!

i think for people to say the 5850 is underpowered dx11 gpu are sadly mistaken

you rock your gtx275's in sli and compare them with one single 5850 its your choice go ahead even though the gtx275's retail for the same if not a little lower price than the 5850 (where i shop)

how about we talk about 5850 in crossfire alongside the gtx275 in sli?

Oh, then i might add that a single-gpu such as GTX 480 GPU beats 5970 under tesselation, why not add two? :)

The reason why i'm comparing two gtx 275's vs one is because 5850 is very new compared to 275. Look at the graphs, they compare the 5850 vs 295, why? because like i said.. 5850 is newer and therefore we can expect more!

Last edited:

Ryeong

Alright people, let's stop it here before we make another 12 pages long thread that's irrelevant compared to the main topic.

Go for 5850 THE END.. Bite me, oh noes"! .:p;)

[Reply to funkysnair that he apparently deleted]

chii_pantsu.gif
<--- Load of pants

heaven2.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/9/

Please, just let it stop here.. :(

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
i vote for the gtx275's in sli...

go for the 5850, dont listen to the people who tell you it wont play new games on high etc, i have it here in my pc running bc2 on high with dx11 no lag no nothing

runs quiet, usses little power!

fair enough what people are saying about dx11, yes it is new and thats why there are not many games using it

but bare in mind people used to say that quad core cpu's where the same (not many games will use the potential)<---my butt

if i was looking at what to buy between the two i would go for the 5850

87dtna

Except for games that dont scale well in crossfire(Flight sim X, GTA IV, etc), as well as more and more DX11 games will be coming out.

I never said anything about crossfired 4890's, I just said a 4890 was half the price and a 5850 was not even close to double the performance. But I can see how you got that.

By the time enough DX11 games come out to actually warrant buying a DX11 card, something better than the 5850 will be out for the same price or less.

Ryeong

I never said anything about crossfired 4890's, I just said a 4890 was half the price and a 5850 was not even close to double the performance. But I can see how you got that.

By the time enough DX11 games come out to actually warrant buying a DX11 card, something better than the 5850 will be out for the same price or less.

Do some search on google. There are tons of DX11-tesselated games coming this summer :D this will be one NICE summer!!

Gabe63

The GTX275 is $220 at Microcenter right now. I would still recomend the 5850 out of all three of these cards.

87dtna

Do some search on google. There are tons of DX11-tesselated games coming this summer :D this will be one NICE summer!!

You really should stop using big words to try to sound smart. And you spelled it wrong anyway too.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

The 5850 also holds other advantages over the 4890, eg- eyefinity, power consumption, etc.

Ryeong

You really should stop using big words to try to sound smart. And you spelled it wrong anyway too.

Haha, cheers for a wee night laugh :D

http://tinyurl.com/yl7vco7

Was a typo. Now let me learn you guys something..

"The DX11 game is tessellated"

"The DX11 game consists of heavy tesselation"

tessellated and tesselation is the same word. But, you must use the word differently depending on the sentence as a whole.

Google em' up and you'll see.

When someone was able to do something you say: He did it, not he do it..

Did and do means the same thing. Did is the past tense of do..