4GB Ram installed by 3.5 usable.

Amplified

Hey guys, I was wondering if I am able to get full 4.00 GB ram on my system. (in my sig) I've been running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate, but anything I do its always 3.5 usable.

My Windows index is 5.0
CPU: 5
RAM: 5
Graphics: 6.9
Gaming Graphics: 6.9
Primary Hard disk 5.7

On my computer specs from HP, the specs said I can use up to 4GB, 1 GB per slot.

Under task manager in performance,
Total: 3582
Cache: 835
Available: 2339
Free: 1588

claptonman

It says 3.5 usable because your system is already using 0.5 of the RAM. It's the best performance you can get out of that RAM. Can your board support either DDR3 or a faster speed RAM?

Aastii

VIP Member
What model of HP is it?

It may be being reserved by your GPU if it has integrated graphics

@Claptoman, no, he isn't. It should be showing Total: 4048 (or around that)

Amplified

What model of HP is it?

It may be being reserved by your GPU if it has integrated graphics

@Claptoman, no, he isn't. It should be showing Total: 4048 (or around that)

Pavilion a6120n Desktop,

When I went into my BIOS I couldn't find memory mapping.. sort of lost when it comes to BIOS.

Aastii

VIP Member
The integrated will only take up to 256MB system memory, so it isn't that.

I would take a guess that StrangleHold is right and it is because of memory remapping settings. How you would get to that in the BIOS, I can't say exactly because most BIOS's are different to each other in the way of layout, so you are better off just looking through

Amplified

The integrated will only take up to 256MB system memory, so it isn't that.

I would take a guess that StrangleHold is right and it is because of memory remapping settings. How you would get to that in the BIOS, I can't say exactly because most BIOS's are different to each other in the way of layout, so you are better off just looking through

I will explore the BIOS, will update in a bit. Thanks

UPDATE: Alot of the things in my BIOS are locked. Couldn't find memory mapping.

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

I wouldn't worry about what your Windows is stating about your computer performance. Microsoft's way of measuring system performance is not accurate. There are much better ways of measuring the processing power of your system.

Amplified

I wouldn't worry about what your Windows is stating about your computer performance. Microsoft's way of measuring system performance is not accurate. There are much better ways of measuring the processing power of your system.

Oh, but pretty much I'm looking to get the most out of my parts, but I only get 3.50 GB usable memory.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You could email HP about the reason its not allowing the full memory since your running 64 bit OS. Those HP bios are pretty much lame.

2048Megabytes

You could email HP about the reason its not allowing the full memory since your running 64 bit operating system. Those HP bios are pretty much lame.

Most original equipment manufacturers have poor quality parts and firmware. But we both know that. Once you know how to build your own, you will never go back.

What original equipment manufacturers warranty their parts for three years? If someone buys the parts, and builds on their own, they usually get a three year warranty on most of their parts and they get a better quality machine.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
...but I only get 3.50 GB usable memory.

Only?! Shut up rofl.I have 512 MB of RAM only and I have to torture sometimes to get my work done.Only 3.5 GB...loooool xD xD xD
I would be super happy if I have so much like you do lol.
Anyway...when users usually have 3.5 GB showed on 64-bit systems instead 4,don't worry about it.Windows uses other 0.5 for something they need such as system itself,integrated GPU and so on.If you will ever use things that reguire 4.0 GB to run (and that will probably never happen unless if you are running newest 3 3D games at once like crazy),then Windows WILL use all 4.0 GB of RAM when neccessary even if they show 3.5.
Still it can be that your motherboard does not support more than 3.5 GB of RAM,but I doubt it.

Amplified

Only?! Shut up rofl.I have 512 MB of RAM only and I have to torture sometimes to get my work done.Only 3.5 GB...loooool xD xD xD
I would be super happy if I have so much like you do lol.
Anyway...when users usually have 3.5 GB showed on 64-bit systems instead 4,don't worry about it.Windows uses other 0.5 for something they need such as system itself,integrated GPU and so on.If you will ever use things that reguire 4.0 GB to run (and that will probably never happen unless if you are running newest 3 3D games at once like crazy),then Windows WILL use all 4.0 GB of RAM when neccessary even if they show 3.5.
Still it can be that your motherboard does not support more than 3.5 GB of RAM,but I doubt it.

Haha woops, didn't mean to say only. :)

I use a dedicated GPU so my integrated GPU is disabled. But you guys mentioned something about memory mapping which I cannot find in my BIOS.

EDIT: I will email HP Support

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say you are limited by the hardware since its an oem machine, and not much you can do about it. Do you really use 3.5 gb of memory?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Do you really use 3.5 gb of memory?

I doubt he needs so much unless if he is performing some crazy programming 3D graphics lol.

That's the main problem with people.They have 4 GB of RAM,but NEVER use even 1.5,but STILL they want more.
What the hell lol?! xD

Amplified

I would say you are limited by the hardware since its an oem machine, and not much you can do about it. Do you really use 3.5 gb of memory?

Eh sometimes, could help my games run a bit better, and as for running Win7, it takes a bit more memory as well, I'm gonna contact Asus or HP to see if they can release a BIOS update.