64 bit processor, 32 bit Windows?

jshpik1

Hello,

I have the AMD FX-60 processor which is 64 bit. I'm pretty sure I'm using the standard Windows Home Edition Service Pack 2. I'm getting lots of problems, the system is very unstable (1 crash a day keeps the gaming away). It was unstable with a NEW installation of this. I also did ctrl alt delete and under processes the CPU usage is very high (around 30 - 50%, 30% with nothing going on...). I also noticed there's a 64 bit version of Windows.

Would this fix my issues? How do I find out if this is in fact the problem?

Last edited:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
No, you dont want 64bit XP. Try running CCleaner, virus scans, adware scans. Also to into start/run/msconfig/startup and uncheck everything you don't need running on startup. And the ones you are unsure of, google them. This may help.

jshpik1

But it would freeze before I even had anything installed on the system, it just freezes more now.... It tends to freeze while playing games, I've placed a new graphics card (nVidia 8800 GTS) in there because I thought that might be it. I've also tried taking out a stick of RAM (Corsair DDR-SDRAM 2 X 1GB) to see if one was broke.

So you're saying a 64 bit processor shouldn't matter on Windows Home?

jshpik1

I read in another post that someone was having heat issues when things like this happened, so I'm going to download coretemp and see what it is, and get a better cpu cooler and put thermal paste on it if that's it. But until then... anyone have anything else that might cause issues like this? Thanks.

Geoff

VIP Member
The issue isn't related to using a 64 bit processor on a 32 bit OS. XP Home SP2 can handle dual-core 64 bit processors, your issue is with something else.

Could a faulty power supply cause a CPU temp to be high? Mine is showing 127 C.
Thats not correct, your CPU would be in flames if it was that hot. Are you using SpeedFan? There are a lot of issues with that and reporting 127C on certain devices.

2048Megabytes

127 degrees celsius is a very dangerous temperature for an AMD 64-bit FX-60 processor. Don't run your system anymore except for tests to see if the issue is resolved until you can get the heat way down. Your processor should be running at around 40 degrees celsius or lower. Hopefully it isn't damaged already, but heat like that will certainly destroy any processor. I'm surprised that the CPU can get that hot and still run.

Geoff

VIP Member
127 degrees celsius is a very dangerous temperature for an AMD 64-bit FX-60 processor. Don't run your system anymore except for tests to see if the issue is resolved until you can get the heat way down. Your processor should be running at around 40 degrees celsius or lower. Hopefully it isn't damaged already, but heat like that will certainly destroy any processor. I'm surprised that the CPU can get that hot and still run.
Obviously you didn't read my post, but it's an error. If his processor was 127C then it would melt extremely quickly. This is a common error in speed fan.

lovely?

oh no! the attack of the flaming processors! just kiddin there is an error causing those readings, not at all anywhere near the problem lol

EDIT: [-OMEGA-] beat me to it :)

jshpik1

LOL so how do I fix it? I'm using Motherboard Monitor.

Assuming my processor is over heating... I've applied the thermal paste, a thin layer. The fan / heat sink is clean, it's not a factory one but it's larger and supposedly cooler. What's another cause of it over heating? Could the mobo BIOS settings be wrong or something?

What else would cause the computer to freeze? Especially during games or when there's more load.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
LOL so how do I fix it? I'm using Motherboard Monitor.

Assuming my processor is over heating... I've applied the thermal paste, a thin layer. The fan / heat sink is clean, it's not a factory one but it's larger and supposedly cooler. What's another cause of it over heating? Could the mobo BIOS settings be wrong or something?

What else would cause the computer to freeze? Especially during games or when there's more load.

What are you full specs? Can you look in bios to see what the temps read? If the cpu is in fact overheating that can very well be the problem. To fix it you would need to purchase some new thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink, or purchase a better after market heatsink.

jshpik1

Hello,

Here's what BIOS had to say about temps and voltage:

System Temp 39C
CPU Temp 44C
System Fan Speed 0 RPM
CPU Fan Speed 2410 RPM
Northbridge Fan Speed 6000 RPM
CPU Vcore 1.30V
+3.3V / 3.34V
+12.0V / 12.13V
+5.0V / 5.18V
Battery / 3.00V
+5VSB / 5.13V

And here's my complete system specs:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Model # MS-7185 939 Socket
Processor: AMD Athlon64 FX-60
RAM: 2 X 1GB Corsair XMS CMX1024-3200C2 DDR-SDRAM
Power Supply: I forget, it's 600W or 550W
Graphics Card: nVidia 8800 GTS
Hard Drive 1: Maxtor Raptor 75GB 10K RPM
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 250GB 7200 RPM

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Your CPU temp is fine according to BIOS. Have you downloaded SpeedFan?

How long has this install of XP been on your system and how was it installed? For your CPU to be running at 30-50% at Idle means something is running hidden in the background. Do a Spyware and Virus Scan and see what the results are.

jshpik1

CPU usage is fine now at idle (like 2%). While playing games it's 50% or so. I'll reinstall windows and get back... unless anyone has any other ideas? Sigh it's such a pain to reinstall everything.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
If it 44 idle, it is possible that under load it is overheating.. but with stock cooler i dont think the temp is the problem, when i had a stock cooler i idled at about 44*c. Can you check to see the name brand of that power supply? the wattage doesn't matter, its the amperage on the 12v rail and even the brand. If its not producing enough power this can cause it to crash.

That cpu temp isn't that bad, but if you can't resovle this you could try a aftermarket heatsink.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Its possible that the power supply it insufficiant for your system. The 8800 alone wants about 26amps, that power supply puts out 23amps, so it could be struggling. Have you tried something like PC Wizard or even Core temp and see what says the closest to 44 idle since thats what your bios say, and then check the temps on load? you can run orthos (prime 95) on the cpu stress test to see what your load temp is.

2048Megabytes

[-0MEGA-];809147 said:
Obviously you didn't read my post, but it's an error. If his processor was 127C then it would melt extremely quickly. This is a common error in speed fan.

That is funny. That's what I get for not reading your post before adding my own post. :eek: