7950gt - 8800

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Hey man.
Don't buy any card until the new releases are out.
From Nvidia, they are rumored to be in November, I don't know about AMD/ ATI.
Prices are bound to drop and you'll be able to get much better bang for your buck, then spending 'top' dollar for last years tech.

As far as cpus go. Intel is doing a revision of their quad cores. I don't know much about it, haven't bothered to read up on it. Probably already happened, but makes sure to do your research before you throw money down for an inferior product.

Just wanted to give you some FYI's

Bob

Kornowski

VIP Member
The 8900's you mean? I don't plan on getting it till maybe Christmas, or February :)
So you think I should get an 8800 then, or one of the new cards?

Thanks for the heads up Bob :D

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I'm sure lots of us feel the same way. Q1 of 2008 the 9800's are supposed to be released, according to an article I read somewhere around here..

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well I just don't want you to waste your money, when new tech is right around the corner.

Ok, sure, Thanks a lot for the help Bob! :D

If the 8900's did come out, I think I'd still maybe get an 8800 as they'd come down in price, and still be pretty sweet... Agreed?

Archangel

VIP Member
to be honest, I'm not sure weither it'd be worth it or not. I mean, DX10 is nica and all, but does anyone have some(reliable) in game info about how a 8800GTS for example performs in DX10 mode for games? I mean, in 3dmark06 (yea, I know, it doesnt say much) my pc gets a score of almost 8900, wich would be about the same as a 8800GTS on stock speeds(in the same system) if I'm not mistaken. now, My pc cant handle Bioshock fully maxed out, not to mention rainbow six vegas for example. now, how could a 8800GTS run it maxed out in DX10 mode I wonder?

I could be completely wrong ofcourse, but I think its worth looking at it that way. I'm not sure weither getting a 8800GTS (or anything lower) would be worth it when upgrading from a 7800gtx or higher (like your card) simply because you have a card that runs the games pretty good still, and you'd be upgrading to a card that still runs a game pretty good, but then in DX10 mode (probably it'll even run less good than in DX9 mode on your current card.)

but like said, does anyone have some reliable numbers on this matter?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I see your point, makes sense... I think once more DX10 games are made, it'll be overall better, I think.

Apparently, using Vista 64bit in Crysis will give a 10% increase in performance per core...

taylormsj

to be honest, I'm not sure weither it'd be worth it or not. I mean, DX10 is nica and all, but does anyone have some(reliable) in game info about how a 8800GTS for example performs in DX10 mode for games? I mean, in 3dmark06 (yea, I know, it doesnt say much) my pc gets a score of almost 8900, wich would be about the same as a 8800GTS on stock speeds(in the same system) if I'm not mistaken. now, My pc cant handle Bioshock fully maxed out, not to mention rainbow six vegas for example. now, how could a 8800GTS run it maxed out in DX10 mode I wonder?

I could be completely wrong ofcourse, but I think its worth looking at it that way. I'm not sure weither getting a 8800GTS (or anything lower) would be worth it when upgrading from a 7800gtx or higher (like your card) simply because you have a card that runs the games pretty good still, and you'd be upgrading to a card that still runs a game pretty good, but then in DX10 mode (probably it'll even run less good than in DX9 mode on your current card.)

but like said, does anyone have some reliable numbers on this matter?

Well in my custom pc mag a while back they had a call of heros dx 10patch, and maxed out a GTX couldnt get more than 15 fps

Archangel

VIP Member
Well in my custom pc mag a while back they had a call of heros dx 10patch, and maxed out a GTX couldnt get more than 15 fps

I have 2 GTX's running atm, and in the tests of that vs a 8800gts the gts is just slightly better.

what I'm saying is, you'll have to look for yourself if you want to spend the money on what you get. the games will run maybe slightly better and in DX10 mode (at best), but most likely they will run at the same settings just with DX10 turned on)

like said, I dont know how it is with the 'newer' games or so, and how heavy DX10 is actually to run.. but i think its something you might want to consider when making the decission :)

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, thanks for the insight, I don't want to go and waste money on something I wouldn't notice a difference with :)