8 vs 16 gigs of ram in 2012

KevWestBeats

I am sorry if this question has been asked a billion times but I had trouble finding anything worth while on google besides a link to this forum. But what are the real benefits right now of running 16 gigs of ram over 8? I just bought a new laptop from best buy and I hear that there are no benefits to 16 if a program doesn't read it but why make a system if current software cannot support it? Idk I am rambling I guess the real thing here is will I see any real benefit now for 16 gigs of ram over 8? I am not gaming on this laptop I am a console gamer but I am doing some video editing for my youtube channel and making music on it as well.

Ischinel

I don't think there's any reason to run 16 gigs ram unless you're doing photo editing any anything else involving major rendering etc.

spirit

Staff member
I'm on 8GB at the moment and it's more than enough, so I'd save the money and wait a few years then upgrade to 16GB.

KevWestBeats

16 GB is over kill, 8 GB for any program right is more then enough.

how far off are we until more programs are able to use that much do you think? I want to improve load times. This computer is good but I would like to make it better and I always thought that meant getting more ram. Are you saying that most software will simply ignore the new ram?

claptonman

Best thing to do is use the programs you plan to use at full blast, and see how much RAM it uses. If it uses more than 8GB, then you'll need some more.

spirit

Staff member
KevWestBeats said:
how far off are we until more programs are able to use that much do you think?
Not until all mainstream programs go from 32- to 64-bit are we going to see programs make use of more than ~3.5GB RAM. Of course, the programs which are already 64-bit will already be able to take advantage of much more than 3.5GB RAM, theoretically they will take advantage of up to 128GB RAM. I'm going to guess that it will take perhaps 1-2 years, we see more 64-bit applications before then though, or some applications may take longer to migrate. Already Microsoft Office 2010 can be purchased as a 64-bit application, and most of the Adobe suite is slowly moving to 64-bit. At the moment it tends to be the higher-end programs, you know the photo editing and video editing, designing, archiving and CAD design programs that make use of 64-bit technology.

KevWestBeats said:
I want to improve load times.
If you want to make things load faster the first place I'd start is your hard disk, you can only load as fast as you can read. An SSD would really improve load times, so if you have the money I would spend it on a 128GB or 256GB SSD (I recommend the Crucial M4, it's very stable) and then replace your hard drive with an SSD and install Windows or whatever OS you use on it. I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, and even though I am running it on a SATA II connection than the SATA III it is optimised for, it's still very fast! Things load pretty much instantly. RAM doesn't tend to make things load faster, it makes rendering things faster though and if you're doing HD video editing then 8Gb RAM will do you fine. What editor do you use?

Last edited:

claptonman

If you want to make things load faster the first place I'd start is your hard disk, you can only load as fast as you can read. An SSD would really improve load times, so if you have the money I would spend it on a 128GB or 256GB SSD (I recommend the Crucial M4, it's very stable) and then replace your hard drive with an SSD and install Windows or whatever OS you use on it. I have a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, and even though I am running it on a SATA II connection than the SATA III it is optimised for, it's still very fast! Things load pretty much instantly. RAM doesn't tend to make things load faster, it makes rendering things faster though and if you're doing HD video editing then 8Gb RAM will do you fine. What editor do you use?

Even a 7200rpm drive would be quicker, as I'm guessing it only has a 5400rpm drive.

The obvious culprit for slow loading is either your hard drive is fragmented, or your computer has a ton of unnecessary programs loading since it is a laptop, and would have a lot of bloatware from Samsung. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.computerforum.com/188636-how-speed-up-windows.html

Has some good suggestions, especially Soluto.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
claptonman said:
Even a 7200rpm drive would be quicker, as I'm guessing it only has a 5400rpm drive.
True but the difference between a 7200RPM HDD and an SSD even when the SSD is running on SATA II is massive. With the prices of HDDs still rather high, and the prices of SSDs slowly dropping, it makes more sense to buy an SSD these days, even though the capacities of hard drives are larger. I have a 128GB SSD for my boot drive which has programs and Windows installed on it, and then a 2TB drive for storage. It's a great configuration but the OP having a laptop it probably isn't possible to have 2 drives... and I don't think 2.5" HDDs come in sizes of 2TB do they? I think 1TB is the max?

KevWestBeats

Not until all mainstream programs go from 32- to 64-bit are we going to see programs make use of more than ~3.5GB RAM. Of course, the programs which are already 64-bit will already be able to take advantage of much more than 3.5GB RAM, theoretically they will take advantage of up to 128GB RAM. I'm going to guess that it will take perhaps 1-2 years, we see more 64-bit applications before then though, or some applications may take longer to migrate. Already Microsoft Office 2010 can be purchased as a 64-bit application, and most of the Adobe suite is slowly moving to 64-bit. At the moment it tends to be the higher-end programs, you know the photo editing and video editing, designing, archiving and CAD design programs that make use of 64-bit technology.

Hmm good to know. All of my software that I am using or going to use will be 64 bit. I do music and video is new for me. All of my music making software is 64 bit which is what makes me consider getting the extra ram in the first place. But if a faster hard drive may help Ill do that. My speed does not suck I just figure the faster the better. This is honestly the fastest computer I have ever owned.

spirit

Staff member
KevWestBeats said:
Hmm good to know. All of my software that I am using or going to use will be 64 bit. I do music and video is new for me. All of my music making software is 64 bit which is what makes me consider getting the extra ram in the first place. But if a faster hard drive may help Ill do that.
I would get 8GB of RAM and then buy an SSD or a faster hard drive, and then upgrade to 16GB of RAM when it's cheaper in a year or two, or buy the 16GB of RAM now and buy an SSD or a faster HDD in a year or two when they're cheaper too. The choice is your's.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
8 GB of RAM is a LOT MORE THAN ENOUGH for what you are doing believe me.You mentioned you will be doing HD video editing.Believe me you do NOT need more than 8 GB of RAM memory for that.UNLESS if you are nuts and perform tons of video conversions and editings at the SAME time lol.But no one does that anyway :p

Besides if the software you are using needs 8 GB of RAM memory just to be able to even work then that software sucks and it's not optimized at all!It just sucks and you should not be using those kind of programs and especially buy them! ;)

Cheers!

wolfeking

banned
True but the difference between a 7200RPM HDD and an SSD even when the SSD is running on SATA II is massive. With the prices of HDDs still rather high, and the prices of SSDs slowly dropping, it makes more sense to buy an SSD these days, even though the capacities of hard drives are larger. I have a 128GB SSD for my boot drive which has programs and Windows installed on it, and then a 2TB drive for storage. It's a great configuration but the OP having a laptop it probably isn't possible to have 2 drives... and I don't think 2.5" HDDs come in sizes of 2TB do they? I think 1TB is the max?
The max 2.5 HDD size is 1TB I think. And even then, it is a 5400 RPM drive.

I would agree that a SSD is a good option, but I would have to disagree on your thesis of not being able to use 2 hard drives on a laptop. A good majority of them have the ability to use a HDD mount instead of the optical drive, and this would be the best option. Otherwise a firewire, eSATA, or USB3 external HDD would be a good option.

KevWestBeats

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I am going to get the hard drive and wait for the ram. Do the 7200s come in 1 TB? I really need the space. Speed here is not bad but i am just being greedy lol