8 vs 16 gigs of ram in 2012

KevWestBeats

I really need the portability of not using too many external devices. My music work requires that I move from place to place often and quickly

mtb211

If you are running many 64 bit versions of software with a 64 bit operating system it could come in handy...

Upgrading from a 5400 RPM to a SSD makes a HUGE difference.... my work laptop is a 256 SSD and it boots fully in less than 25 seconds but the computer in my signature takes over a minute to load all the background programs and run quickly

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
wolfeking said:
I would agree that a SSD is a good option, but I would have to disagree on your thesis of not being able to use 2 hard drives on a laptop. A good majority of them have the ability to use a HDD mount instead of the optical drive, and this would be the best option. Otherwise a firewire, eSATA, or USB3 external HDD would be a good option.
OK my bad, I was never the laptop geek 'round here! ;) Yeah pick up an external 500GB or 750GB 2.5" HDD and keep it in your laptop carry case if you require the extra space.

mtb211 said:
If you are running many 64 bit versions of software with a 64 bit operating system it could come in handy...
True, but 8GB is more than enough today. I use Premiere Pro CS5.5 on 8GB RAM with no problem, and that's a 64-bit application. I don't think upgrading from 8GB to 16GB RAM would make it run any faster for me.

KevWestBeats said:
I think I am going to get the hard drive and wait for the ram. Do the 7200s come in 1 TB? I really need the space. Speed here is not bad but i am just being greedy lol
I'd recommend the hybrid drive claptonman recommended as it will be faster than a 7200RPM disk and no the fastest 7200RPM drive is 750GB I think. I'd then pick up an external 2.5" drive if you need the storage, or if you want loads of storage pick up a 3.5" WD Caviar Green 2TB drive, put it in an external USB closure, and then you have yourself a 2TB 3.5" external drive. You could keep the drive in your carry-case if it's big enough. I know a 3.5" external drive would be bigger than 2.5", but if you want the space... ;)

KevWestBeats

so if I am understanding correctly the 1TB hard drives only come in 5400/5200 rpm? If that is the case I will stay where I am at and wait until they make bigger hard drives at faster speeds. I can fill a 1TB hard drive quickly if I really want to and since I do so much work away from home and do it on the fly most of the time having any more external devices than my soundcard, keyboard and camera are probably not a good idea for me. Thank you again for the suggestions everyone I really do appreciate it I think I have made my decision. My computer is not slow for me by any stretch of the imagination I was just being greedy.

spirit

Staff member
KevWestBeats said:
so if I am understanding correctly the 1TB hard drives only come in 5400/5200 rpm?
Yeah think so, all the 2.5" 1TB drives I've seen are only 5400RPM.

KevWestBeats said:
If that is the case I will stay where I am at and wait until they make bigger hard drives at faster speeds.
I'd wait until a big 1TB SSD is released, it will be quite soon I reckon, give it a year or two. SSDs are getting bigger and faster, and ultimately one day will overtake the hard drives.

KevWestBeats

I'd wait until a big 1TB SSD is released, it will be quite soon I reckon, give it a year or two. SSDs are getting bigger and faster, and ultimately one day will overtake the hard drives.

thats exactly what I was thinking! It would be better for me to wait rather than buy now and upgrade in 18 months.

KevWestBeats

why is photo rendering so special? its really just editing a still picture and people keep saying this as if it takes more power to edit that still picture than it does to edit a moving picture like video. Am I missing something?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL you people are crazy.You do not need even 8 GB of RAM for so simple tasks not to mention EVEN MORE than 8 GB of RAM lol!

wolfeking

banned
not really. The same could be said of 4GB a couple of years ago. Heck, for the longest time our desktop had 512 MB of DDR RAM, and we never hit top usage, even though it supported 4GB.

RAM usage isn't massive. Most people don't need 4GB, let alone 8. But RAM is cheap. It is like coke or bread. Why buy 20 oz and 2 slices for $2, when you can get a whole loaf and 2 litres for $2.25? Sure you don't need that much, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Gary1

+1 especially as many programs even in this day and age are still only 32-bit which means they can only use up to ~3.5GB RAM.

-1 because some of us don't use only 32 bit programs. AutoCAD can cripple even the best made machines. I would think video editing might be on par with AutoCAD. OP specifically mentioned one part of his computing experience. At this moment please disregard programs like VLC that will fit in "most programs" and consider the one that counts.

FOR THE OP If 16 gigs of ram is in your budget go for it, however finding a computer with professional GPU instead of Gaming GPU will be your best bet. Very hard to do on a laptop!

Geoff

VIP Member
8GB of RAM isn't that much these days, I don't know how I manage with only 6GB still! My MacBook Pro has 8GB of RAM and when I use my wireless site survey tool alone it uses up all available memory down to 10-15MB once I get several data points collected. Heck just having Chrome, Safari, Outlook, and iChat open is taking up almost 4GB of memory.

claptonman

8GB of RAM isn't that much these days, I don't know how I manage with only 6GB still! My MacBook Pro has 8GB of RAM and when I use my wireless site survey tool alone it uses up all available memory down to 10-15MB once I get several data points collected. Heck just having Chrome, Safari, Outlook, and iChat open is taking up almost 4GB of memory.

Kind of different with a mac. OSX uses RAM much more efficiently than windows.

FuryRosewood

...wow. When you can get 16 gigs for less than 100 bucks right now, why the heck do you even argue it? just max the damn board, turn off the page file, unless your worried about crashing for stability's sake, and enjoy the space. overkill is fine when its affordable, and its damn affordable right now.

MineIQ1701

You might not need an entire tank of gas to get to work, but if it's cheap enough, you might as well fill up the tank. Go with the 16 gigs.