8700k or 9700k for VR?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Anotherguynamedmike810, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Anotherguynamedmike810

Anotherguynamedmike810 New Member

Hello, I'm new to computer building but I've been debating with friends and researching this topic for the past few days nonstop and can't seem to get an answer. My debate is wether to buy the multithreaded i7-8700k with 6 cores and 12 threads or the i7-9700k with 8 cores but only 8 threads.

On one hand, it seems logical that HTC Vive will run a large amount of processes at once so I am leaning towards the 8700k but on the other hand, it seems that the VR wireless adapter (which I plan on getting later down the line) will require additional cores so maybe the 9700k is the way to go. What is everyone else's opinion on this topic?

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

What's your total budget?

Prioritize gpu over CPU

3. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

I agree with @beers but also, I have tried a bunch of VR stuff on my 8700K/1080Ti rig and it works great,.

beers likes this.
  4. Anotherguynamedmike810

I know it’s all about gpu in this situation but I still got to choose a CPU when building. I’m just stuck between these two options and (although it will barely have any effect in comparison to the GPU) I’m trying to understand when 8 cores with 8 threads would outperform 6 multithreaded cores.

5. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

They're probably about equal but it depends on the workload. Most games only use a couple primary threads so you wouldn't see much of a difference outside of frequency/IPC.

I'd probably save the $ and put the difference into the GPU if you aren't already going full 2080Ti or something. It's usually a budgetary decision against your full build budget though.

6. Anotherguynamedmike810

Budget isn't much of an issue considering the two are only around $30 or so apart. I plan on using an RTX 2700 GPU and will spend money on a decent cooler if overclocking will increase performance. The rest of my build is set up and comes in around $1,500 but I'm just debating on this last decision between CPU's. Considering the price difference is negligible, would you personally go for the multithreaded 6 core or single threaded 8 core when building specifically for VR?