*8800gt* Now On Newegg!

spanky

No, I don't think so. From what I can tell, all the benchmarks were done without pci-e 2 mobos. I would think that the performance might increase if it was used on such a mobo.

MatrixEVO

Why is this nipping at the GTX's heels, when the GTX takes up 2 PCI slots, is long enough to make a guy remove his upper HDD cage, and have a giant heatsink?

There were no new chemical elements introduced, where there? No large scientific breakthroughs, if you ask me, the early 8800's are a bit 'slapped-together'. And my obnoxious and over-eager self landed one for twice the price of the 8800GT.

It has a more up-to-date core processor, the G92 as opposed to the G80 in the other 8 series. You are somewhat right about "slapped together", because the 8*** series cards were the first DX10 cards from nVidia.

[-0MEGA-];801561 said:
So are you going to buy this Ryan?

If I make a new build it will be included, unless ATI comes out with a HD9*** card that beats it for the same price (which those are coming in the next few weeks).

EEthanShire

Not familiar how price trends fluctuate but I'm curious to know if the price of the 8800gt will drop during Christmas season through January as suggested or would it be wise to buy the opening sale price now before stock runs dry?

MatrixEVO

My roomate is doing the EVGA step-up from the 8800GTS 320 to the 8800GT this weekend.

I don't know the details of the "step-up" program, but I think it may not be possible for him to do that. Reason being that EVGA would say "it is not an upgrade solely because 'GT' is lower rank than 'GTS'". Even thought it performs better it is ranked lower. Hopefully they allow it though.

spanky

I don't know the details of the "step-up" program, but I think it may not be possible for him to do that. Reason being that EVGA would say "it is not an upgrade solely because 'GT' is lower rank than 'GTS'". Even thought it performs better it is ranked lower. Hopefully they allow it though.

We already checked, He can.

Reneki

It is possible to step up to any card really, i talked to a rep and they said that price isn't an issue. I would have also done this, but i don;t live in the us, and it would have cost me around $90 for shipping and tax, not to mention waiting 2-3 weeks.

So i decided to put it up on ebay now, hopefully some people who are still left in the dark can take it off my hands....

And then i bought the 8800gt 512mb from ncix for $280, shipping and tax included!

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26778

Jabes

banned
wats the step up program?

Edit: is the bfg 8800 gt oc better then the 8800 gtx?

Last edited:

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Step-up is an EVGA program, that allow one to trade in any evga card, within 90 days, to get full purchase credit towards any other card. useful.

I dunno, maybe if the OC is high enough, probably not though.

Geoff

VIP Member
8800GT 256MB start from $199. Not released yet.
Newegg had it listed, but they are taken down now and show "auto notify". And $199 is not what they will sell for, many companies including Newegg will raise the price when it's first released, probably to $250-$290.

Reneki

Apparently the new 8800gts 640 will be based on the g92 core, the one which is coming out in a few weeks, wonder how much better it'll be over the gt, and how far it'll outperform the current top cards. (gtx,ultra)