8800GTX and dual core 3.0ghz

Nutter

hi,
im wanting to buy a new gaming computer, i just want to know if i buy a 8800GTX and dual core 3.0ghz they will give me the performance i want for up coming games, and i will get 2 or 4 gigs of ram.

i was thinking of buying a computer from alienware.com, they have got great systems.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
What dual core processor are you referring to? As for ram, 2gigs would be enough for now, but if you are thinking of going SLI, then 4gigs of ram would be nice.

ADE

banned
Dude, GHz doesnt matter any more. Now a days speed is deturmind by the CPU's pipelines, in other words, the shorter the pipe lines, the less speed you need to get data to get through them. Like a Core 2 Duo E6300 1.84GHz, can easily out preform a P4 3Ghz.

dmw2692004

Build a comp yourself, its really easy nowadays.

No, no, no. They suck. I hear bad things about them all the time. Way overpriced.

erm, were do you hear these bad things about them, or is this just another way to get your post count up?

ADE

banned
Build a comp yourself, its really easy nowadays.

erm, were do you hear these bad things about them, or is this just another way to get your post count up?

OH poo poo and your silly ways of getting you post counts up. Just ask a few people here who have delt with them. Most say their horrible.

liquidshadow

Who said that? And due to what causes?
Alienware does make decent machines but just not for their price.

And the e6600 at default is 2.4Ghz by the way, not 2.6. Just a heads up.
Even if we compared the Core 2 to a Pentium D (which is a dual-core), the e6300 at default clock frequency would crush a Pentium D at 3.0Ghz and even over.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=8

Here, you can see that the e6300 defeats all of the Pentium series, even the extreme edition most of the time.

ADE

banned
Well, like a thread I made before (A while ago) "Would YOU buy an Alienware Computer?" One guy even talked on how his laptop actually falls apart!

Nope, you should build your own PC, save you some $$$. Alienware wanted $5500 for what I could build for $2800. I was looking for the family's business and that's what I came up with. I heard Alienware's liquid cooling absolutely sucked, what do you expect squeezing all of those parts into what seems like a mATX mid-tower case. Alienware laptops are cool though, they are the next best option after Toshiba & Sony