8gigs of ram?

way2evil

how do some mobos have the ability to have 8 gbs of ram when there is only four slots? is it like dual channel or something like that?

Geoff

VIP Member
way2evil said:
how do some mobos have the ability to have 8 gbs of ram when there is only four slots? is it like dual channel or something like that?
If you use 2GB sticks, then 2GBx4 slots = 8GB total :)

i.Angel

I know there is a rich kid here on the forums that has 8 gigs of RAM. Some of ya'll might remember him. I think he also had an SLi setup with 2 7800GTX 512's too.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Why?

Once you get to the point of not using the extra ram, it will start to slow down you system.
Ram only makes your system faster if you are using the ram. If you just have ram sitting idle if could hard the performance of your machine.

I doubt you even use the 4 gigs you have now, but I could be wrong.

tomb08uk

AM2 said:
more gb's is better, it makes your comp faster!
Really...Not really the case for i would say 95% of users...Who realistically uses more than a gig of memory?Apart from the odd occasional person.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
That'll soon change once Vista rears its fat, drooling memory munching head. I plan on having 8 gigs of ram eventually.. i can see that becoming the norm to be honest but its generally unecessary at the present

tomb08uk

Hairy_Lee said:
That'll soon change once Vista rears its fat, drooling memory munching head. I plan on having 8 gigs of ram eventually.. i can see that becoming the norm to be honest but its generally unecessary at the present

Yes, but thats vista. Ill likely get the Ultimate Edition. Did you read my other post about my ACER LCD?

tomb08uk

mrjack said:
Why would extra RAM slow down your computer?
Well i presume its because the system has to detect the memory and power has to be distrubuted to the chips but the memory isnt actually doing anything.

mrjack

VIP Member
You talk as if I was about to buy 8Gb of RAM. Well, I ain't. I was merely commenting on the statement that more RAM will slow down a computer.