8gigs of ram?

Geoff

VIP Member
AM2 said:
more gb's is better, it makes your comp faster!
Not really. Obviously 1GB of ram will be an improvement over 512MB of ram, but for the general user anything over 2GB isnt going to show much (if any) improvement. And when you have 8GB of ram, you will be having 4x 2GB sticks, which will most likely run at 2T, which will slow performance down slightly from 1T.

So you may actually notice a slight performance decrease with 8GB over 4GB of ram.

Dr Studly

banned
some mobos for intel processors supprot up to 16GB... (not server boards)

are there single sticksof 4gb anywhere?

Geoff

VIP Member
way2evil said:
definatley not. it has to be some kind of dual channel ddr2 combination
You cant turn 8GB of memory into 16GB of memory by changing the dual-channel modes, or using DDR2. They dont have any 4GB stick on newegg that i've seen, but i think they will support it when it comes out. So 4x 4GB = 16GB.

SC7

If you fill up all the slots on your motherboard, that's how it will slow it down. Almost all motherboards will downclock the memory if all the slots are filled (on 3x or more slot configurations). So it's a waste there. 2GB sticks of RAM are a waste because they usually loose speed at more than 1 GB per stick.

Someone asked about 4 GB sticks of RAM. Yes, there are certain ones, and they really only got used in the PowerMac G5, and some servers. They are available on newegg, with the title "Approved for use in PowerMac G5", but they will work in any mobo that supports 4 GB sticks.

Doesn't anyone remember that you must have a 64 bit OS to use more than 4 GB of memory. I'm not sure if 32 bit OSes will start or not, but I know they cannot properly adress more than 4 GB of RAM.

8 GB will definitely become a standard, not in VISTA's lifetime, not in any lifetime that still offers backwards compatability. So long as the OS still ships in 32 bit forms, high memory usage will not occur even in the 64 bit version of the OS. However, VISTA should use at least a gig of ram. It's about time, Macs and even linux (commercial distros) started requiring more from machines, I want to see a Windows that can utilize better hardware, instead of holding me back to maintain backwards compatability. I think Windows Blackcomb is where we may start to see substancial memory amounts being ulitized.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Doesn't anyone remember that you must have a 64 bit OS to use more than 4 GB of memory.

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server supports 32 GB and is not 64bit ;)

I give you a hint look up PAE or IA-32

SC7

4GB is the highest stick available. As for Datacenter 2000, I wasn't aware of that, but no desktop OS supports more than 4 GB of RAM, unless it is 64 bits. Datacenter is specifically designed for server based hardware, and hardware that does what it does, which is why it supports more than 4 CPUs (72 I think), as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, sorry for the blunder.