9.21 mbps download speed on desktop

JAW91

This might be a stupid question but I'm just curious. I have my desktop plugged directly into the modem at my house and I have Bright House Lightning-70mbps, I was wondering why my desktop is only at 9.21mbps when one of the laptops in the house is at 65mbps and another is at around 28mbps. My computer is the only source plugged directly into the modem. My upload speed and latency are both good (Upload speed is at 6mbps and latency is at around 9). What could be causing this or is it just normal?

JAW91

Can someone move this to the internet discussion sub-section? I didn't see it before I posted, sorry.

Agent Smith

You may want to reset the TCP stack. What OS are you running? Are you running a firewall or anti-virus software.

JAW91

What is the TCP Stack? I am running Windows 7 - 64, and using Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus and the standard firewall.

Last edited:

JAW91

Ok, so I looked up what it was and have reset it now. I am going to reset my computer now and see if it goes up. Does it matter that I have forwarded some ports for APB:Reloaded and set my IP to a static IP or would that not make a diffrence?

Gooberman

If i had to guess I'd say either your network card in your computer or your router is connecting at 10 mbps Open Task manager and go to the networking tab and look at the Link Speed

JAW91

I did it through the modem's website Agent Smith, the one where you put your admin name and password in.

Last edited:

JAW91

And yes I just checked the connection speed like you said Gooberman and it says its at 10 mbps, how do I fix that? o_O

Gooberman

Have you tried connecting your computer with a different Ethernet cable? Otherwise i think something funky is going on with your network port either on your desktop or router. What computer do you have?

JAW91

I have not yet tried connecting with a different cable but I will try that. I am about to put my computer information into my signature.

JAW91

I've been messing with the connection with other things in the house that are connected to the internet and even when downloading a 700MB file online it sucks the internet dry to the point where on the other laptop in the house that was getting 65mbps was slowed all the way down to 2mbps while downloading. Is that normal for downloading one thing so small for it to suck up almost all the download speed?

JAW91

Yes, that is exactly what I have. It's an Arris model # TG852. We are having our ISP send a tech person out tomorrow supposedly so should I ask about doing a separate router and modem?