9.21 mbps download speed on desktop

JAW91

Well the guy came today and ran all new wire and gave us a new router/modem combo (I know, you guys said that's garbage) but the new modem is a Motorola Surfboard model #SBG6580. All the other computers except mine now are getting at least 25mbps. The guy said the only reason they arn't getting around 70mbps is because they are older and not compatible with the 70mbps system. Not sure how true that is but I was hoping I could get you guys to speculate more on that. My computer is still getting the same 9mbps, he said he thinks it could be from a virus or something but I just scanned my computer last night and I don't have any virus'. He said he's not sure about the computer side of it though. Also, its not the ethernet cord because they plugged the cord into the newer laptop that we have and it was getting 65mbps through the cord. What do you guys think is wrong with my computer making it stay at around 9mbps download speed?

Geoff

VIP Member
Well the guy came today and ran all new wire and gave us a new router/modem combo (I know, you guys said that's garbage) but the new modem is a Motorola Surfboard model #SBG6580. All the other computers except mine now are getting at least 25mbps. The guy said the only reason they arn't getting around 70mbps is because they are older and not compatible with the 70mbps system. Not sure how true that is but I was hoping I could get you guys to speculate more on that. My computer is still getting the same 9mbps, he said he thinks it could be from a virus or something but I just scanned my computer last night and I don't have any virus'. He said he's not sure about the computer side of it though. Also, its not the ethernet cord because they plugged the cord into the newer laptop that we have and it was getting 65mbps through the cord. What do you guys think is wrong with my computer making it stay at around 9mbps download speed?
Take your laptops and hardwire them in, what do you get?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What web browser are you using? What programs did you use to check for viruses/malware?

Gooberman

Well you could try a live cd of some other operating system or reinstall the network drivers to make sure

AlienMenace

I'd honestly buy a new network card

I'm with "Gooberman", try a new network card, for some reason my on board rj45 jack was not giving the speed I was suppose to be getting. So, I installed a new one in my computer and it fixed the problem. Got my speeds back to where they are suppose to be now.

Agent Smith

Microsoft Security Essentials is just a base line scanner. Try a live CD of Bitdefender or Avira or at least Malwarebytes. I would also run Tdsskiller.

A new network card could be helpful. What type of computer is this?