9600gt vs 8800gt vs HD 4850

linkin

VIP Member
then get the 4850. it blows the vanilla 9800gt out of the water. the GTX and GTX+ were designed to take on the 4850 but they failed a bit on that. they are still great cards.

StrangleHold

Staff member
then get the 4850. it blows the vanilla 9800gt out of the water. the GTX and GTX+ were designed to take on the 4850 but they failed a bit on that. they are still great cards.

There was no 4850 when the 9800GTX was released. The GTX+/ GTS 250 really overall out performes the 4850 by a small margin.

how about 4850 vs 4870

The 4870 is the better card

Last edited:

87dtna

Out of the cards you listed, the 4850 is the best. Now that you aren't even talking about that card anymore, I vote the the gts250. My EVGA gts250 is an extreme overclocker as well. I can overclock to 825 core, over 2k shaders, and 1350 memory.

The gts250 is slightly better than a 4850. 4870 is better, but not really that much better.

As far as crysis goes, you really need a quad core over 3ghz and atleast a gtx260 to run crysis ''smoothly''. You need faster memory and more of it. Look into getting a 2x2gb dual channel kit of DDR2-1066 ram with 5-5-5-15 timings. That will be a worthwhile upgrade for you. Thats if your board supports it, some older 775 boards will only support ddr2-800 ram. If thats the case, look for 2x2gb of 800 ram with 4-4-4-12 timings.

But, with a 4770, and the rest of your setup you should be able to run crysis on medium settings.

starlitjoker

ok well before we starts shooting cards out at this guy can we get ur mobo? ur psu? and your processor? we dont want to bottle neck him or give him something that wont work out good for his system..

please post us your other parts :D

and to the above poster.... you sir havnt played crysis...

if you want to play the origional crysis, the 9800 GTX+ OC can run on everything very high except some shadows and effects... which dont take away from the look so..... and for crysis warhead... im playing that right now on verything enthusiast with anti aliasing of 4X 1280X1024 and 1360X768... around 45-50 FPS and around 25-40 when big things start happening.. but the 9800 GTX+ Oc is my choice... but tell us your other specs..
oh and also to the above poster
a quadcore processor is totaly worthless for PC gaming... you want to invest in a high frequency dual core, i recomend the wolfdale E8500 LG 775 as far as RAM goes, i got 32 bit windows vista 2X2 GB XMS, at 1336 DDR3 but these things depend on your motherboard so please like i said post your other parts :D

Last edited:

gimmigzgy

My PSU is a generic 500w mATX that comes with the casing
and my board is a ECS g31t-m7, =)

my monitor size is 17"(not widescreen).

my ram/memory can only support ddr2 pc800 4gb max (2gb per slot).

Aastii

VIP Member
can you take the side off your case and type in the nubmers that are on the side of your Power supply please?

Specifically, the +12V if that is the only one you can see on the label.

You will need that to be atleast 24A to have a chance of running any of the cards stated stabley, and as it is a cheap, generic PSU, it could throw up some issues with it being that high, even though it says it is 500W, which it almost certainly isn't.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Pretty lowend power supply. Looks as if it has most of its amps. on the 3.3/5V rails. And 20 amps. on the 12V

mx344

what vid cards can I use with my PSU?
can it support a 4770?

Would it run the 4770? I would say yes, but your power supply is pretty low for your specs. I would upgrade, spend 40 bucks or 50 and get a corsair 400watt or antec with a high amperage 12v rail or 2 12v rails.

starlitjoker

ok so if you really serious about this here are the steps.

1. can you take out the power supply? if you can go to step 2
2. buy this www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...cm_re=antec_earthwatts-_-17-371-015-_-Product
reason: your PSU is low end, although you have a micro ATX MOBO a high end PCI-E GPU will drag alot of power out. those 12V rails prob wont have a PCI-E 2.0 6pin plug on it so you wont even be able to run a high end GPU and if it did you would be dragging power from other utilities. after this go to step 3
3. buy the graphics card, now with the new PSU and you PCIE slot on your MOBO we can get some work done, do you have a price range because if you really want to stay future proof i would go with the 9800 GTX+ but there are other cards out there now that we know your specs that could really up your performance, got a price limit? btw the cards we are debatting are around 120-150 US dollars i think i may be wrong.

87dtna

Well, although it's not a known brand, I have an HEC 650w and it powers my backup rig just fine. And 4870's take a lot of juice. It has all the connectors you need and the cables are great length's for a mid atx tower, which is what most people have.

It has 76 amps total on the 12v rails. Here's the link-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=hec_power_supply-_-17-339-024-_-Product

HEC has a somewhat bad reputation but I believe they are gonna turn it around with the X-power line of power supplies.
There's also a 600w verison, but only 52 amps on the 12v rails so I opted to pay a little extra and I'm happy I did. It's also very efficient, almost never gets hot even while gaming.

When I buy a PSU I look at efficiency. Not just because of my electric bill, but the fact that you have to use quality components when building a power supply to make it efficient.

Last edited:

gimmigzgy

so i would really need a new PSU if I'm gonna buy a 4770?

I got here a 350watt GMC platinum power PSU,
it's AC input - 100v-120v 10A 50/60Hz -200v-240 6A 50/60hz
DC output - +3.3v +5V +12V -5V -12V +5vsb
26A 30A 22A 0.5A 2A 2A

Last edited: