A Few Issues with Thunderbird Mail Client

Da Mail Man

Greetings all,

Win 7 Ultimate
1 TB SATA HD
2g's ram
2.8 GHZ

I started using Thunderbird e-mail client (V 89.0.1) (TB) about 1-2 weeks ago and have had quite a few problems, mostly due to my limited knowledge of this "new-to-me" program....

1...When I click on any link sent to me and received in/by TB mail client, I get the following displayed error message (see pict)...
2...I somehow found a section that lists the default programs and do not see Mozilla Firefox (FF) displayed....(see pict)...
3...I reset "FF" as some of the directions I have found direct and still, "FF" is not displayed in the default programs.....

Clicking on any received link in e-mail takes me nowhere.

Any assistance as usual is GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Attachments

• 1 ff selected as default.jpg
    1 ff selected as default.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2 selected ff as default.jpg
    2 selected ff as default.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3
  • link error message.jpg
    link error message.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
  • default  a.jpg
    default a.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3
  • default programs slection b.jpg
    default programs slection b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
  • no listing for FireFox c.jpg
    no listing for FireFox c.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Da Mail Man

See picts....

Did as vid instructed and to default programs...Found htm and html and selected "FF" AS DEFAULT......Then, went bck to e-mail link and got same error message....."FF" still not appearing in default program list... Do I need to re-start "TB"?....(EDIT!)..Just re-started "TB and NO CHANGE.

Attachments

• program access defaults list where I just selected  ff.jpg
    program access defaults list where I just selected ff.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3
  • html to ff selected.jpg
    html to ff selected.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
  • change program listing.jpg
    change program listing.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you upgraded the version of Thunderbird email yet? If you open firefox and can can click on links in there and it opens firefox then its set up correctly. The problem most likely comes from an old version of Thunderbird or one of its settings.

For the record, I have windows 10 and just installed thunderbird email and have firefox set as default browser and can click on links in the emails and it opens firefox and opens the website.

Da Mail Man

Have you upgraded the version of Thunderbird email yet?
NO, NOT YET..TRYING TO SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE I HAVE T MAKE THE DECISION TO KEEP OR DUMP "TB".

If you open firefox and can can click on links in there and it opens firefox then its set up correctly.
WILL THIS "UPGRADING" TRASH ALL MY SETTINGS AND TRANSFERED E-MAILS?

The problem most likely comes from an old version of Thunderbird or one of its settings.
I DON'T SEE WHY IT SHOULD BUT, HAVE NO EVIDENCE THAT IT WOULDN'T....I WONDER IF IT DOESN'T WORK, IF I CAN GO BACK TO CURRENT VERSION AS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

For the record, I have windows 10
HAVE THAT IN A LAPTOP AND HATE IT TO BITS.

and just installed thunderbird email and have firefox set as default browser and can click on links in the emails and it opens firefox and opens the website.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
NO, NOT YET..TRYING TO SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE I HAVE T MAKE THE DECISION TO KEEP OR DUMP "TB".
Why don't you download the latest version and see?
WILL THIS "UPGRADING" TRASH ALL MY SETTINGS AND TRANSFERED E-MAILS?
Nope.
I DON'T SEE WHY IT SHOULD BUT, HAVE NO EVIDENCE THAT IT WOULDN'T....I WONDER IF IT DOESN'T WORK, IF I CAN GO BACK TO CURRENT VERSION AS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE.
I'm not even sure where you downloaded this old version of Thunderbird. If you would have went here you would have started with the newest version.

HAVE THAT IN A LAPTOP AND HATE IT TO BITS.
Probably because you are using Windows 10 start menu instead of open shell which gives you the windows 7 type start menu. I also have enabled the quick launch bar down by the start button. There are many ways to make 10 look like windows 7. I don't like the default windows 10 options myself.

Da Mail Man

Why don't you download the latest version and see?

Nope.

I'm not even sure where you downloaded this old version of Thunderbird. If you would have went here you would have started with the newest version.

Probably because you are using Windows 10 start menu instead of open shell which gives you the windows 7 type start menu. I also have enabled the quick launch bar down by the start button. There are many ways to make 10 look like windows 7. I don't like the default windows 10 options myself.

The computer I am using is a desktop computer running WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE...I did upgrade to the latest version(S) and no changes after "rebooting" TB.

Attachments

• TB VERSION.jpg
    TB VERSION.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
  • NEWER VERSION FB.jpg
    NEWER VERSION FB.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Today (03-11-2k23 Saturday),

Got up and again, started looking around.....As you can see, there is no program association listed except for Internet Explorer......No Firefox......Same for both http and https....

Attachments

• no association program.jpg
    no association program.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem lies where it says unknown application for http and https. I don't have a windows 7 test system to verify what is going on with yours. You may have a glitch going on or have somehow messed up file associations/default programs.

When you get to this point

1678539208473.png

Can't you just highlight firefox and then click on set this program as default.

Da Mail Man

Here is the outcome of what I just did...Link in e-mail as a test attempts to open IE instead of FF.

Attachments

• tries to open IE.jpg
    tries to open IE.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5

Da Mail Man

You seem to get frustrated over incredibly basic things. I wouldn't be surprised if some derivative of malware messed up your associations

EASY- EASY!...I don't have the knowledge that many of you have here and so, that is why I come here.....I have been at this for a while and usually come here as a last resort.

Da Mail Man

Have followed the below utube link...and again I say, "Firefox" is not in the left pane...It would be easy if it was...

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible you do have some sort of malware causing this to happen. Download and run Malwarebytes to make sure you aren't infected with something.

Also make sure you have the latest version of firefox installed. I just searched and found out that firefox support for windows 7 and 8 ends this year. You'll need to find another browser that supports windows 7.

If you have the latest version of firefox then try reinstalling it since firefox doesn't show up in that window for you.

Not sure what else to tell you.

Da Mail Man

t's possible you do have some sort of malware causing this to happen.
RAN MALWAREBYTES 4X'S (OVER-KILL I'M SURE)

Download and run Malwarebytes to make sure you aren't infected with something.
SEE ABOVE---FOUND NOTHING.....

Also make sure you have the latest version of firefox installed.
I HAVE - I DO ALONG WITH THUNDERBIRD

I just searched and found out that firefox support for windows 7 and 8 ends this year. You'll need to find another browser that supports windows 7.

If you have the latest version of firefox then try reinstalling it since firefox doesn't show up in that window for you.
THIS WILL BE THE LAST AND ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF DOING....IF I CAN GET "FF" IN THE AFOREMENTIONED "WINDOW", THIS PROBLEM MAY BE SOLVED.

Not sure what else to tell you.
I THINK I STUMPED THE FORUM...

Da Mail Man

You seem to get frustrated over incredibly basic things. I wouldn't be surprised if some derivative of malware messed up your associations.

Hit the below to restore defaults

That's because you set it to IE..................

That's because you set it to IE..................

NO, I DID NOT AND I HAD NO INTENT TO DO SO...I CLICKED ON THE LINK AS STATED AMD THIS WAS THE RESULT...I HAD HOPED IT WOULD GO/OPEN TO "FF" BUT, THIS WAS THE RESULT.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE---
I uninstalled "FF" and put in an older version 45 and links are working..... HOWEVER, sites like facebook do not display pages as it should......Will climb the ladder on versions until I find one that works with all....WILL ADVISE.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE -

"Climbed the ladder" of ascending "FF" versions after uninstalling "V89" and, worked my way up to and reinstalled 89 - the one I was having all the problems with....I saved NOTHING - no bookmarks, profiles, etc......and is working well......

Have attacked Facebook with it as well as other various e-mail links received and all open w/out incident...Have no idea as to why "89" went hay-wire since I never fooled with it until after problems arose.....

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AND ANYONE WHOM CONTRIBUTED (GOOD-BAD-INDIFFERENT) TO THIS AGONIZING PROBLEM....THAT IS WHY I COME HERE - TO LEARN.

Attachments

• 03-11-2k23 FF now default browser.jpg
    03-11-2k23 FF now default browser.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 3