A little help for a computer noob..

Riboflavin

Hey guys,

I just bought a Compaq Presario Desktop. It has integrated video and I was wondering if it is possible to still buy an aftermarket video card. The reason I am doing this is that when I play Counter-strike (Or any steam game) it lags on and off. The only reason I can think of that would cause it do that is the video. Thanks in advance for the help.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought a Compaq Presario Desktop. It has integrated video and I was wondering if it is possible to still buy an aftermarket video card.
Yes.

Also, what card would you recomend?
Depends on the budget:
Small Budget: GFX5200 or better yet the GF4TI
Medium Budget: Radeon9600/GFX5700
Large Budget: 6800GT
:)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well I guess it depends on the rest of the computer as well as the game settings but it is a definite "yes" that having a non-integrated video processor is a benifical step (although this realistically only applies to the much older S3 and Intel based video chips; newer onboard ATi/NVidia chips can handle basic gaming).

72montecarlo

You should see a huge difference. i was unfortunate enough to own a 1.2ghz celeron emachine before which i wont say was unreliable just not fast. it has onboard video which was horrible. would not play games worth anything. had horrible lag. i only upgraded it to a radeon 7500 64mb PCI bus for lack of AGP port believe that and i saw a major improvement. was able to play max payne 1 and 2 well and gta 3 and vice city. Even if your budget isnt large a moderate card will give you much more gaming power.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I recently got a Compaq Presario and it had intergrated GFX 64mb it's bad it can't run games for crap and diddn't come with a AGP slot to put good GFX cards in so i had to buy a Radeon9200 64mb PCI version and it's a pretty good GFX card can run many games smooth.

All i need now is more RAM...

ZER0X

VIP Member
Yer i was going to buy a Radeon 9200 128mb AGP but i had to cancel it because when i took a look inside it wasn't there...

Very dodgy

Grimulus

yeah man, integrated video sucks for anything other than desktop use.

I'm sure you have an AGP slot. 8x?

That could help the cause to decide what kinda card you want. But a lower budget card should work regardless. I'll sell you mine for 1000 bucks. :p Interested? I paid 100 bucks for it but the centimental value is off the hook. :p

tommy8748

Yup, I have an integrated video card too, suck for the newer games but for counter-strike or steam games the graphics can't get better because counter-strike was made in 1991 graphics were shity back then, and I am planning on getting a new video card as well for vice city/Flight simulator. Does anyone know what is wrong with my Vice city :confused: it seems to lag/skip whenever it rains or cops are after me plz help me im a computer noob lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know what is wrong with my Vice city it seems to lag/skip whenever it rains or cops are after me plz help me im a computer noob lol.
Integrated video :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Will this graphic card do me any good GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB DDR PCI Graphics Card
It will be a massive improvement from what you've got :) But yeah, if you've got an AGP slot, try and get the AGP version of that card or better yet, the Ti series :)