A little help for a computer noob..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if instructions come with the graphic card on how to install it??
If you bought a retail set it will come with a complete manual otherwise it will come with nothing. It's not that hard really, common sense and a screwdriver will get the job done :) (i.e., pop the case, unscrew the card, pop it, put a new on in, screw it down)

Grimulus

don't buy a retail card or at least I wouldn't. You can save a lot of money by buying your parts OEM. Basically it's the card without all the instructions. some cards come with games to so that might be a reason to go retail so yeah....whatever you want to do.
we'll help you learn to install it but yeah, it's common sense.

Grimulus

Praetor said:
No. You can have multiple video outs that way. Also, for workstation machines that double as gamer platforms, you can have a work-card and a gamer-card.

What would you call a work card?

tommy8748

I think what he means by work-card is the graphics don't have to be great and game card graphics are excellant. And is their a cd that come with the card to install it or do you have to do that add new hardware crap??

Grimulus

i also thought about the multiple outs(my version of output) as well but really didn't see to much of a need for it. most cards come with 2 outs but yeah i can sort of see the use of 2 video cards. *shrugs* just never seen anyone do it or need to.

Grimulus

you install the card and windows(i'm assuming that's what you use) will just default it to something so you can see the screen and you will get a cd that has the drivers plus some other software. the drivers will make your card truly what it is suppose to be. The cd will come if you order the OEM version if you are wondering. At least that's my expirences with it.

tommy8748

Grimulus said:
you install the card and windows(i'm assuming that's what you use) will just default it to something so you can see the screen and you will get a cd that has the drivers plus some other software. the drivers will make your card truly what it is suppose to be. The cd will come if you order the OEM version if you are wondering. At least that's my expirences with it.
Oh. Yeh well thanks for all your help Grimulus, Praetor, Riboflavin, 72montecarlo, ZEROX and I may have missed some people so thanks to all of you that have helped me. :)

tommy8748

Oh yeh one more question I need to choose a video card too, here are my 2 final choices Radeon 9200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR or Verto GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR which one is bettter??

Timbo

Hmm.. The 5200 hsa direct X 9.0 support I believe. But it lacks the raw " horsepower" to actually use it efficiently. The 9200 is direct X 8.1 I believe? So.. And I think they are at par.. Personally I would go with a TI 4200. I still use mine, plan on upgrading soon though. But it plays doom 3 fine, and all. From 9200 or 5200.. Cheaper is what your looking for IMO.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
we'll help you learn to install it but yeah, it's common sense.
Really the common sense comes in where your unscrew the card before you unplug it.... i've seen some wierd things.....

What would you call a work card?
FireGL, Parhelia and the Quadro are the light-end cards while cards bearing Oxygen, Wildcat etc are much more hardcore cards

Is their a cd that comes with the card to install it or do you have to do that add new hardware crap??
Default drivers should be enough to get you running so you can get the official drivers :)

Oh yeh one more question I need to choose a video card too, here are my 2 final choices Radeon 9200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR or Verto GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR which one is bettter??
Both cards come in 64bit and 128bit flavors although i find that if you pick an arbitrary 5200, its got a better chance of being the 128bit card but realistically they are neck and neck with each other

tommy8748

And also if the card is DDRAM and I have SDDRAM will it still work??

Do I need a better power supply for the graphic card to work??

Grimulus

tommy8748 said:
And also if the card is DDRAM and I have SDDRAM will it still work??

Yeah dude, there is video ram and system ram.

tommy8748 said:

If it has a fan you will have to plug at least one connector in to the PS. some of the newer cards want you to have a massive PS. It's just kinda what you get.

Grimulus

tommy8748 said:
How can I check how much power I have in my PS?

It should have a sticker on it somewhere saying so on the PS somewhere. Hope you don't have to take it out to see...it should be on the back visible to you though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on the card. For everything up to and including the GF4TI46/Radeon9700, a 300W PSU is probably the minimum requirement. For anything after that, 350W as a minimum with 400W as an adviseably minimum. Not just that -- get a reliable, solid PSU -- not some cheapo PSU somewhere :)

Hope you don't have to take it out to see...it should be on the back visible to you though.
Most cases you'll still have to pop the case :)

Grimulus

Praetor said:
Most cases you'll still have to pop the case :)

Yeah, of course. I'm just saying taking the PS out sucks a whole lot. :p

I'm thinking he should be able to find out easily enough...

Yeah, get a good power supply but order online. Bestbuy and CompUSA will overcharge you heavily.

tommy8748

Are most Agp slots this type AGP 2X (3.3V), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus, I have a Compaq Presario 5000 series, Year 2000, Pentium Celeron, Windows Xp Home Edition