A question about compatibility?

LambentTyto

Oh and another thing, shorting out isn't really a problem. Usually if it's shorts out all you have to do is adjust the component to make sure it's not touching bare metal and it will work again.

So how do you keep the motherboard from touching the tower case when it's hanging from the thing? Is there a rubber sheet in between or something?

spirit

Staff member
Well, since you don't like laptops too much, I would really advise you get the desktop then.

Read my post, I've already answered your question about how to keep the board away from the case. You use the brass standoffs which come with the case.

PCunicorn

I understand. But after getting 20 components, I never got a broken one. Not once. Don't worry.

He didn't. Computer components are surprisingly durable if you take care of them.

It sure is.

So how do you keep the motherboard from touching the tower case when it's hanging from the thing? Is there a rubber sheet in between or something?

As Spirit said, the motherboard goes on standoffs. The standoffs are metal, but not bare metal, which means they won't short out the board.

Last edited:

LambentTyto

I understand. But after getting 20 components, I never got a broken one. Not once. Don't worry.

He didn't. Computer components are surprisingly durable if you take care of them.

It sure is.

As Spirit said, the motherboard goes on standoffs. The standoffs are metal, but not bare metal, which means they won't short out the board.

Alright, thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the desktop. I just need to get some of my Xbox friends to defect with me.

WeatherMan

Why won't you use DVI? It would be stupid to use a VGA to HDMI when you have DVI. DVI is better then VGA, worse then HDMI. For GPU compatibility, yes. The GPU is PCIe, and notice how your motherboard says it has 2 PCIe slots (make sure to use the top one though).

Can I ask why DVI is better than HDMI?

Minus the audio and HDCP what is the difference? :D

PCunicorn

Can I ask why DVI is better than HDMI?

Minus the audio and HDCP what is the difference? :D

Great, OP :D

Weatherman, I never said DVI is better then HDMI :confused: I said HDMI is better, in fact, because of HDCP and they are easier to use IMHO. Less bulky and easier to connect (no screwing in the screws). Other then that, picture quality from what I hear is the same, never actually used DVI before but VGA is very similar in the design of the cables.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
He's asking why HDMI is better than DVI when the picture quality is the same, but you've just explained why you prefer it now. :)

LambentTyto

You know, speaking of DVI, I can't figure out if this monitor my bro wants to sell me is male of female. The connection isn't sticking out, but it also looks like a male that's housed inside the monitor.

I hate DVI, lol.

spirit

Staff member
You know, speaking of DVI, I can't figure out if this monitor my bro wants to sell me is male of female. The connection isn't sticking out, but it also looks like a male that's housed inside the monitor.

I hate DVI, lol.

It only only works one way. The connection on the back of the monitor will always be the opposite one to the one on the back of your graphics card so that you can use any DVI cable.

spirit

Staff member
I think if I remember correctly, the DVI port on your monitor is the same as the one on your graphics card, so yeah, male to male makes sense.

spirit

Staff member
Usually better gaming performance, but one high-end GPU is better in most ways than two weaker ones.

LambentTyto

Usually better gaming performance, but one high-end GPU is better in most ways than two weaker ones.

So for instance, if I were to put in another Radeon R9 270x my rig would perform twice as well? Or does it not work like that. Would we be talking like a 10% increase in performance or something?

Darren

Staff member
So for instance, if I were to put in another Radeon R9 270x my rig would perform twice as well? Or does it not work like that. Would we be talking like a 10% increase in performance or something?

They don't scale to 100%. Some cards scale better than others but it will be a sizeable increase. You can google the scaling of a 270x and find out what kind of performance gains you'll see. I agree with Spirit though, one stronger card is almost always better than two weaker ones.

spirit

Staff member

It wouldn't be twice as fast, you are probably looking in the region from maybe 50-70% but that's my best guess and every card scales differently. Some work better in SLI/Crossfire than others.

I would recommend sticking to one card. Less heat produced, less power consumed, less space taken up, cheaper, less chance of driver instabilities, and some games don't really take advantage of multiple GPUs, but more and more are.

But either way, I'd get one powerful single card.