About to replace mobo. H&W dont match case

Thursday146

My intel D955XCS is shipping to my house to replace my dell e510s lakeport-g i945 mobo (e.g D945GCz) and the dell mobo is 10.4 inches x 10.5 inches with one pci x16 slot, one pci x4 slot, 2 pci slots

The Intel D955xcs im replacing it with is 12.80 inches by 10.50 inches with twice the pci slots (One PCI Express x16 ,One PCI Express x4, PCI Express x1 slot, Four PCI slots)

So im thinking the 12.80 inches is the width (just guessing).. heres the inside of the e510:

http://g.imageshack.us/img24/314298032440internal4.gif/1/

So if i take the floppy slot out maybe the mobo will fit with the width of the board but with all of the slots i think the board is gonna be way to big and my psu is gonna get in the way.. what can i do?

yuki953

dont mess with the inside of dells... dells are stupid...
Unless you go with a different case... also see that plastic thing with the dell logo? you gotta keep that in tact, im guessing its what holds the heatsink/fan on... if that breaks, say hello to customer support... then they wont help you because you messed with the product..
seriously... dells arnt fun to mess around with

Thursday146

dude i've replaced the processor on my dell.. the heatsink is the best quality i've ever seen for an oem.. Most atx's cant match it.. the heatsink is over 875g with the cpu fan being 250mm and goes up to 4000rpm and with the airflow?. Imagine if i got this mobo in, with the cooling that is capable of this case? E5400 say hello to 4.2ghz

So Yeah dell sucks, you've established your opinon. Now is there anyway i can modify this case for this to work.. Has anyone on this forum modifed a case or replaced the psu somehow for a mobo to fit?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Dell uses all proprietary parts, so you're going to have to do some major modding. Also even if you manage to fit the motherboard in, you won't be able to use all of it's expansion slots, as the Dell case looks like an half ass attempt at microatx.

The easiest thing to do is to probably completely switch cases. Then buy a good aftermarket cooler (which will put the Dell stock cooler to shame).

Bob692006

Even if you manage to mod out the case to get the new mobo in, it's probably not going to work. I had a similar Dell system before I built my new one and there's two major problems your going to run into. The black 'tunnel' is connected to the front vent, where your cpu fan is, that takes the air pulled in and tunnels it down to the cpu heatsink. You'll have to have the CPU in the same place with the new mobo or your looking at some more modding for CPU cooling. Also, I'm going to venture to say the PSU is not very big (I had the E310 model and it only had a 230W in is) so if you looking to add a new GPU then you'll have to upgrade the PSU. Your SOL at that point since Dell's system's are proprietary and you won't be able to just swap out to a different one. Good luck and post the pictures up if you manage not to decimate your case modding it out.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not going to work. The new board is 2 inches longer. To line up with the I/O ports on the back, where is the extra 2 inches at the bottom going to go. Unless you cut the bottom out of the case and set it on blocks. You would be better off by buying a cheap aftermarket case.

Last edited:

Linux0009

banned
Isnt there also an issue with Dell Power supply burning out non Dell Mother boards because of some proprietary power input? May not even want to try or you may fry your new MB.

Last edited:

Linux0009

banned
My intel D955XCS is shipping to my house to replace my dell e510s lakeport-g i945 mobo (e.g D945GCz) and the dell mobo is 10.4 inches x 10.5 inches with one pci x16 slot, one pci x4 slot, 2 pci slots

The Intel D955xcs im replacing it with is 12.80 inches by 10.50 inches with twice the pci slots (One PCI Express x16 ,One PCI Express x4, PCI Express x1 slot, Four PCI slots)

So im thinking the 12.80 inches is the width (just guessing).. heres the inside of the e510:

http://g.imageshack.us/img24/314298032440internal4.gif/1/

So if i take the floppy slot out maybe the mobo will fit with the width of the board but with all of the slots i think the board is gonna be way to big and my psu is gonna get in the way.. what can i do?

I dont know...Im anxious to see if he can get this to fit in that case...I guess well see on monday (note...images not to scale....:) )

Last edited:

spearlymatt

My dell computer opens like a giant hinge from the back. It kind of sucks actually, I think I may put it in another case.

El DJ

I dont know...Im anxious to see if he can get this to fit in that case...I guess well see on monday (note...images not to scale....:) )

BAHAHA!
Even if he could get it to fit, it'd never work. The CPU's angled which means he'd have to angle the tube coming from the heatsink!
Dude, you can get a new case for $30-40 from Newegg.