About to replace mobo. H&W dont match case

Backwoods166

Even if you manage to mod out the case to get the new mobo in, it's probably not going to work. I had a similar Dell system before I built my new one and there's two major problems your going to run into. The black 'tunnel' is connected to the front vent, where your cpu fan is, that takes the air pulled in and tunnels it down to the cpu heatsink. You'll have to have the CPU in the same place with the new mobo or your looking at some more modding for CPU cooling. Also, I'm going to venture to say the PSU is not very big (I had the E310 model and it only had a 230W in is) so if you looking to add a new GPU then you'll have to upgrade the PSU. Your SOL at that point since Dell's system's are proprietary and you won't be able to just swap out to a different one. Good luck and post the pictures up if you manage not to decimate your case modding it out.

Yup. Sounds like fun though, GL!

Thursday146

Well guys, i decided to just go amd.. pulled the psu (codegen 400watt), 140mm intel stock fan, and 2x1 pc2-5300 ram from the dell...

Proc is stable at 15x stock cooling 55C avg core temp (prime95 7 hours large ftt test, orthos gromatics core 4 hours, hyper pi 16M 11 minutes 55 seconds)

Thursday146

Hey man I see you got the asus m4a78-e, I love mine so far how about you?

i cant really say man, i mean i came from a P4 630 3.0ghz dell computer. i've always known how to build my own but i was never interested into spending money to get one.

Basically this motherboard is epic for me, just an amazing amount of overclocking options and its overclock-noob-proof because once the mobo posts it tells me right away 'Overclock Failed!' (big plus for me).. The only problem for me was q-fan doesnt do anything.. but the speedfan program works perfectly with the mobo (im now able to slow down the intel fan i got from my dell from 4200rpm to 1800rpm.. its a 140mm fan so you can imagine how loud it was at 4200rpm xD)

Sean89

i cant really say man, i mean i came from a P4 630 3.0ghz dell computer. i've always known how to build my own but i was never interested into spending money to get one.

Basically this motherboard is epic for me, just an amazing amount of overclocking options and its overclock-noob-proof because once the mobo posts it tells me right away 'Overclock Failed!' (big plus for me).. The only problem for me was q-fan doesnt do anything.. but the speedfan program works perfectly with the mobo (im now able to slow down the intel fan i got from my dell from 4200rpm to 1800rpm.. its a 140mm fan so you can imagine how loud it was at 4200rpm xD)

I didnt bother installing that lol. just installed express gate since it was annoying everytime i booted up it reminded me

Linux0009

banned
Well guys, i decided to just go amd.. pulled the psu (codegen 400watt), 140mm intel stock fan, and 2x1 pc2-5300 ram from the dell...

Proc is stable at 15x stock cooling 55C avg core temp (prime95 7 hours large ftt test, orthos gromatics core 4 hours, hyper pi 16M 11 minutes 55 seconds)

So just to be clear, you got the motherboard on that Monday and you said OH F#@$ this thing doesnt fit, and decided to get a new case and build your own. :D:eek::D

Thursday146

So just to be clear, you got the motherboard on that Monday and you said OH F#@$ this thing doesnt fit, and decided to get a new case and build your own. :D:eek::D

i actually did make it fit, there was enough holes for it to stay up but then i needed to rewire the power button i totally warped the wires in the process.. so i went with get an Asus 790gx board paired with a Kuma 7750+ combo on newegg $40 dollars off... $160 total. And my friend gave me his antec 300. So yeah i didnt make the dell work. Darn :rolleyes: