Adding more bass to an already existing digital set up

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Dolby Digital Live is just an acronym for real-time Dolby Digital encoding. You turn discrete channels into compressed 112kbps/channel DD5.1. Not exactly high fidelity.

HDMI of course is the real solution, but since PC surround sound development pretty much died after 2006, you aren't gonna see an HDMI multimedia solution anytime soon.

Wiki says otherwise

Wikipedia said:
Dolby Digital Live (DDL) is a real-time hardware encoding technology for interactive media such as video games. It converts any audio signals on a PC or game console into a 5.1-channel 16-bit/48 KHz Dolby Digital format at 640kbps and transports it via a single S/PDIF cable.[12] A similar technology known as DTS Connect is available from competitor DTS.

PunterCam

Wiki says otherwise

Interesting... I'll have to find someone who really knows. S/PDIF will usually transmit 2 channels of 24bit audio at up to 192khz, so if this dolby encoding option can transmit 6 channels at 48k, although admittedly at 16bit (which never seems to make a drastic change in disk space used, therefore surely 24bit can't use up much more bandwidth), why isn't it more widely used in pro audio? If I could bin those bloody optical cable for a couple of XLRs carrying 8 channels, I probably might. Or maybe not. Perhaps that's why they don't. That and the fact I didn't really read anything about it.

astrallite

Wiki says otherwise

According to your quote on wiki, it's 107kbps/channel, which is even worse than the 112kbps I mentioned.

Did you post because you wanted to point out that I was off by 5kbps?

Well thank you for the clarification, sir. I am indebted to you.

Interesting... I'll have to find someone who really knows. S/PDIF will usually transmit 2 channels of 24bit audio at up to 192khz, so if this dolby encoding option can transmit 6 channels at 48k, although admittedly at 16bit (which never seems to make a drastic change in disk space used, therefore surely 24bit can't use up much more bandwidth), why isn't it more widely used in pro audio? If I could bin those bloody optical cable for a couple of XLRs carrying 8 channels, I probably might. Or maybe not. Perhaps that's why they don't. That and the fact I didn't really read anything about it.

CDs have a bandwidth of 705.5kbps/channel, and CD Redbook is constantly lambasted for low fidelity. 107kbps/channel represents 15% the bitrate of CD quality. I can't imagine WHY it would be used in pro audio.

Last edited:

lunchboxx

My xonar d2 does 192khz/24bits

So which connection should i go with for best sound quality?
gold plated analog?
digital coax?

The z5500 says it can do 96/24 and i use the "DTS interactive" spdif output on my sound card.

PunterCam

So proper 5.1 can't be transmitted down coax. Glad we got back there eventually. Or more to the point, glad I read the thread eventually. Actually, I'm not even glad.

Whoever's asking, just use the analogue outs if you want something resembling 5.1. Or just sell it and go to the pub.

Last edited:

astrallite

Asus HDAV 1.3 sound card running through a receiver would be the optimal setup.

HDMI can pass through 37MBps of audio through 8 channels, or 4.6MBps/channel. This represents over 6.5 times the fidelity of CD redbook. It's also much less susceptible to EMI compared to typical analog outs.

lunchboxx

So proper 5.1 can't be transmitted down coax. Glad we got back there eventually. Or more to the point, glad I read the thread eventually. Actually, I'm not even glad.

Whoever's asking, just use the analogue outs if you want something resembling 5.1. Or just sell it and go to the pub.

DTS digital does 5.1 just fine. So i figure the Digital Coax is what will get me the best sound then?

Zatharus

VIP Member
This thread is devolving into pure comedy.

Oddly enough, yes.

S/PDIF is just a digital audio transport specification. It can be used for many different audio streams. S/PDIF can carry uncompressed PCM audio at high bit and sample rates, such as 24bit/192KHz. It can also carry a multitude of compressed, multichannel audio configurations such as:
- Dolby Digital - Standard 5.1 surround. Typically at a lower bitrate (more compressed) than DTS.
- Dolby Digital Plus - This is extension of Dolby Digital supporting 7.1-channel surround sound.
- Dolby TrueHD - A lossless codec supporting up to 8 channels (7.1 surround) at high bit and sample rates.
- DTS - Higher bitrate 5.1 codec.
- DTS-HD - This is an extension of DTS supporting 7.1-channel surround sound.
- DTS-HD Master Audio - A lossles codec supporting up to 8 channels (7.1 surround) at high bit and sample rates.

Edit: And...if you are familiar with the old ADAT Optical spec, that handles 8 channels PCM 16/48k audio on a single connection.

Last edited:

lunchboxx

You are confusing s/pdif with digital audio in general.

s/pdif does not fulfill the spec to pass HD audio.

I'm using digital coax on my sound card, which says "spdif output: DTS interactive", and runs to my z5500 which says onscreen "DTS digital"

I don't need "4.6MBps/channel HD audio", i just wanted to know which connection would be best for sound quality with what i currently have.

astrallite

I'm using digital coax on my sound card, which says "spdif output: DTS interactive", and runs to my z5500 which says onscreen "DTS digital"

I don't need "4.6MBps/channel HD audio", i just wanted to know which connection would be best for sound quality with what i currently have.

I was talking to someone else.

LOL comedy continues.

Zatharus

VIP Member
You are confusing s/pdif with digital audio in general.

s/pdif does not fulfill the spec to pass HD audio.

Do you actually know what S/PDIF is?

It is a digital audio transport specification - which I did mention. It can handle ALL the bitstreams I mentioned in my prior post. And yes, if you notice, those do include what is commonly considered "HD" audio formats, both compressed and uncompressed. ;)

Lunchboxx: As has been mentioned several times, you have a great audio card that can produce fabulous sound quality in both digital and analog formats. Since you are already using the DTS connect setup, you may not notice any difference switching to analog. Give it a try, though, the analog outputs will not be compressed - as the digital DTS output is. You may like it better.

astrallite

Do you actually know what S/PDIF is?

It is a digital audio transport specification - which I did mention. It can handle ALL the bitstreams I mentioned in my prior post. And yes, if you notice, those do include what is commonly considered "HD" audio formats, both compressed and uncompressed. ;)

From wiki:

s/pdif: Sony Philips Digital Interface

A common use for the S/PDIF interface is to carry compressed digital audio as defined by the standard IEC 61937. This mode is used to connect the output of a DVD player to a home theater receiver that supports Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound. Another common use is to carry uncompressed digital audio from a CD player to a receiver. This specification also allows for the coupling of personal computer digital sound (if equipped) via optical or coax to Dolby or DTS capable receivers. This only supports stereo sound, unless the personal computer supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect

Audio Signal: Digital audio bitstream. Originally limited to 48 kHz at 20 bits. Extended to support all modern formats, except Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS HD audio streams.

Cool Story Bro

P.S. By the way, HDCP is Sony's baby. They exclusively pushed the new standard onto the hdmi format. s/pdif is not a protected audio path which is why they explicitly never allowed development of HD capability (no commercial s/pdif transmitters/receivers meet the spec of HD audio anyway). You also realize Sony is the pioneer of S/PDIF? Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

Zatharus

VIP Member
Ha ha ha - you, sir, are correct about the HD encoded (and copy protected) formats, my bad. Those options should not have been in that prior list. I was wrong. Eh, it happens to us humans.

S/PDIF does carry high resolution stereo PCM and lossy surround audio, though - which some people also consider high definition. Agreeably so, the lossy surround formats are not as good as the newer lossless "HD" surround formats (DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD). I understand now that you were only referring to these encoding options as HD and not options based on high bit and sample rates.

Sorry for the confusion everyone!:):good:

Edit: And, sorry about the rhetorical from my prior post. That was rather out of character.

Last edited:

dark666apoc

all you need to do is a little know how of subs and enclosures
remove the plate amp already installed on the z5500

buy yourself some MDF form home depot lowes w/e
a good quality sub with an rms power of about 150
and a large area for a sub to be placed in your home just one of my subs is 6 cubic feet

if you need any help with finding what you'd want pm me and ill help you get what you need