Adonis Linux *Beta Testers Needed*

NyxCharon

adonislogo.png

As some of you know, I've been working on a Debian based Linux distro.
If you want to try it out, feel free to boot into it as live cd or a VM. Builds are stable enough for day to day use and can be installed.

So, what is Adonis Linux, and why? Well, there's multiple reasons for me starting it. To keep a long story short, I've seen several approaches to distros and there philosophies and I just dont agree with most. I'd like to build a simple distro that caters to users of all types and experience.

The current builds are:
Adonis XFCE DVD
Adonis Server

http://www.adonislinux.com/
Download Page:
*Newest Release*
http://downloads.adonislinux.com/
Older/Misc Releases
http://adonislinux.com/downloads.html
Install Guide:
http://adonislinux.com/doku/doku.php?id=installation
IRC Channel
#AdonisLinux On Freenode
Merch (To help pay for servers)
http://www.cafepress.com/adonislinux

Screenshot:
More available on the website.
XFCE Edition
1.jpg

Server Edition
serversmall.jpg

*Mods: If you don't want me advertising this for whatever reason, just say so and I'll gladly delete the thread*

Last edited:

NyxCharon

so this Adonis linux, are you saying it works with Windows programs?

What Troncoso said. Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'll edit the original post. The lifelong goal is that yes, but for now it's just a debian based linux distro. The only current compatibility is via wine, which is okay at best.

wolfeking

banned
Ill try it later. But one question. The grub setup on it, will it put memtest like Ubuntu? I really don't want too many options in the grub.

either way, getting ready to help you out.

NyxCharon

Ill try it later. But one question. The grub setup on it, will it put memtest like Ubuntu? I really don't want too many options in the grub.

either way, getting ready to help you out.

Yeah, but you can remove them. The installer I use depends on them, so I have to include them, no choice in the matter.
Just do a
sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+
in a terminal.

*Just remembered you have to add user to sudo btw. So do a su and enter root password. Then do a adduser username sudo and you can use sudo like normal*

Last edited:

Risc

The goal sounds really amazing. I would love to see it as well, since I prefer Ubuntu over Windows any day. I wish you massive luck!

If I can't get my Windows 7 to stay installed, I would love to test it out as well. :)

NyxCharon

So, the experimental build is giving me issues on the live boot. I think it has something to do with the kernel, so I'm going to rebuild with a older one tomorrow.

NyxCharon

Started working on the novice build codename "Serdovia"
I'm trying my best to get cinnamon as the WM working right now. Otherwise, I think I'm going to fork gnome 2 into something i like, or use gnome 3.

spynoodle

This sounds pretty epic. I've been using Windows lately, since the Windows 8 developer version is free. Personally, I've grown to dislike Linux due to the fact that some basic things are a lot harder/impossible to do than in Windows, such as monitoring video card temperatures, setting up dual monitors, and playing blu-ray. If you can fix these problems with a combo Linux/Windows kernel, I would definitely be a user. ;)

NyxCharon

This sounds pretty epic. I've been using Windows lately, since the Windows 8 developer version is free. Personally, I've grown to dislike Linux due to the fact that some basic things are a lot harder/impossible to do than in Windows, such as monitoring video card temperatures, setting up dual monitors, and playing blu-ray. If you can fix these problems with a combo Linux/Windows kernel, I would definitely be a user. ;)

I've been reading a lot more into kernels and general OS theory, and well to be frank, to pull off what i want, i have to pretty much design a framework from scratch. It's going to be sort of linux based in theory/principle, but there will be a definite windows feel to it. Still trying to work out the partition formatting, ie ext3/4/ntfs wont work, at least not easily.

As far as the version for novices mentioned above, cinnamon is sadly a no go. At least until the devs work it so it will work on Debian by default, there are some problems at the moment that no one can seem to work out. I'm still going to try to get it to work out, but at the moment it looks like gnome 3 is a go. Cinnamon will probably force me to create my own repo that is a mixture of Debian and mint/ubuntu, which I REALLY want to avoid. So, i'll post results as I get something working.

spynoodle

I've been reading a lot more into kernels and general OS theory, and well to be frank, to pull off what i want, i have to pretty much design a framework from scratch. It's going to be sort of linux based in theory/principle, but there will be a definite windows feel to it. Still trying to work out the partition formatting, ie ext3/4/ntfs wont work, at least not easily.

As far as the version for novices mentioned above, cinnamon is sadly a no go. At least until the devs work it so it will work on Debian by default, there are some problems at the moment that no one can seem to work out. I'm still going to try to get it to work out, but at the moment it looks like gnome 3 is a go. Cinnamon will probably force me to create my own repo that is a mixture of Debian and mint/ubuntu, which I REALLY want to avoid. So, i'll post results as I get something working.
Windows feel is something I really like. :) That's one thing I miss in Crunchbang. You just feel too "out of touch" with the O.S., you know? For me, there's just not enough of a U.I.

EDIT: Btw, I really like the "about" page you have on the Adonis website. Nice writing. ;)

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Downloading it now. Been busy and haven't had the chance. will throw it in a virtual machine soon.

EDIT: That was a hard install. I can partition a system, but I was pretty confused partitioning it.

Also, I didn't set any passwords for anything, but I can't get it to login. I'm going to reformat and try again tomorrow when I can pay attention.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Downloading it now. Been busy and haven't had the chance. will throw it in a virtual machine soon.

EDIT: That was a hard install. I can partition a system, but I was pretty confused partitioning it.

Also, I didn't set any passwords for anything, but I can't get it to login. I'm going to reformat and try again tomorrow when I can pay attention.

Yeah, the installer is something I want to replace, but I can't get any alternatives to function correctly. you HAVE to set a password, for both the root and user account. If you want to set up sudo and lock the root account, you can do that, and i'll gladly show you how.

sudo setup is pretty easy though.
from user terminal
$: su
*enter root password*
#: adduser sudo *usernamehere*

and then it's done. sudo will be setup on the machine. if you want to lock the root account afterwords (make sure sudo works first!)
just do
$:sudo passwd -l root

I'm currently considering adding some of the linux mint repos in a effort to get cinnamon to work, as I really am not a fan of gnome3. Not sure yet.

NyxCharon

Update:
Last couple weeks of work has been lost. I was going to release all the spinoffs at once, but my one of my HDD's have stopped working correctly so i have a lot of lost work to make up. I have some backups, but not anything too recent. So, it's going to be a while before another update. :(

Kesava

Update:
Last couple weeks of work has been lost. I was going to release all the spinoffs at once, but my one of my HDD's have stopped working correctly so i have a lot of lost work to make up. I have some backups, but not anything too recent. So, it's going to be a while before another update. :(

That is terrible :(

I also found the installer confusing. Luckily I was able to get on gtalk while running the Live CD and get Mihir to guide me through it. But if it was nice and user friendly like most of the other installers than that would be great.

I'm loving being back on Windows right now, I just feel so damn comfortable, but once I get sick of it again, hopefully there will be a nice new Adonis release for me to try.

NyxCharon

Because of the recent events, I've begun drafting a new plan.

Spinoffs are going to wait. I'll release one with each new release of the main build as it progresses.
I'm going to build a novice build this weekend and see where I can go with that. Probably going to either go oldschool gnome 2 on debian or strip a linux mint distro down to the bare and then rebuild it my way. Leaning towards the mint one.

I had a talk with a friend about where this project is going and decided that I need to keep my focus on the long term goal, so I'm going to begin coding some parts of the OS this weekend. Stuff like the Kernel, boot loader, etc and start planning out the framework for the entire project.

I'll post more updates this weekend of what I've got done with the current distro however. It will still be maintained the entire time, just to reassure everyone.