advice on new compy

mgoldb2

VIP Member
diroga said:
im not sure how compadability is looking for mac PC in the future. it would be nice to get one but i doubt it will happen.

how about a package deal like this?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-135-184&depa=0

If that all you want to spend fine but my point was trying to avoid using a socket A motherboard and use a socket 754 instead. You get better performance and options out of a socket 754. Also I just not a big fan of ECS. I usually avoid the budget motherboard company they tend to give me trouble from personal experience.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
are you sure I cant step down the bus or something for the AGP? it wont automaticaly do it or anything?
If you mean something like AGP8X or AGP4X then yes, if you mean the voltage than nope

heck it's not my money....754 it is.
Good call :)

diroga

Last edited:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
diroga said:
so what is the differance between these boards? they are basicaly the same except for the chipset. how do you tell which is the better chipset? the $10 differance?

Gigabyte
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-262&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

ECS
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-135-170&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Those are the same chipset. both are VIA K8M800. If you ment to say company then gigbyte definally the better company. I am a little bias against ECS due to extremly bad luck I have always had with them.

Up to you which one you go with. It possiable you would have better luck then me with ecs.

diroga

i havent heard much of ESC. all i hear is good complements about gigabyte. how much wattage to i need?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
diroga said:
all i hear is good complements about gigabyte. how much wattage to i need?

Yeah Gigabyte motherboards have always worked great for me.

I would recommend around a 400 watt psu of decent quility.

for your system something like this would proberly be fine.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-006&depa=0
Some people would say the 12v line is a little weak at 18A but I think it would be plenty to handle this system.

diroga

i found in one of those small desktop compaq's a 230 watt psu. it was very small. hard to think that could power 3 drive and a mobo

anyways, i plan on buying the case+psu at a local computer store so i avoid the shipping. is 400W a bit much? 300 good?

18 Amps? on a computer??

mgoldb2

VIP Member
diroga said:
anyways, i plan on buying the case+psu at a local computer store so i avoid the shipping. is 400W a bit much? 300 good?

300 watts might be fine for this computer. You cant go wrong with a 400watt one thoe. I usually stick with 400watt power supplies to be on the safe side. You really cant have too powerful of a powersupply. I would see how much a good 300watt psu cost compare to the 400watt one I showed. If the price not much differenct then just go with the 400watt one.

edit: just to point out the PSU I showed on newegg says that it free shipping for this particular item.

Last edited:

diroga

my dad wants a new case that isnt as big as our curnet one. i'll check localy first then consult the internet.

question about the gigabyte mobo. it looks like there is a second power plug on it, a 4 pin conector. it is between the usb/aduio and the heat sink. do i need a specal psu for that?

will the cpu stock heat sink and fan fit into the slot wiht that black clamp thing on the board there?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
diroga said:
my dad wants a new case that isnt as big as our curnet one. i'll check localy first then consult the internet.

Just make sure the case you choose can fit a ATX motherboard and PSU.

diroga said:
question about the gigabyte mobo. it looks like there is a second power plug on it, a 4 pin conector. it is between the usb/aduio and the heat sink. do i need a specal psu for that?

Yeah most motherboards these days have 2 powerconnectors to the motherboard. Most of todays PSU comes with connections for both.

diroga said:
will the cpu stock heat sink and fan fit into the slot wiht that black clamp thing on the board there?

I am pretty sure it will. The heatsink it comes with is ment for skt 754 motherboards.

diroga

Yeah most motherboards these days have 2 powerconnectors to the motherboard. Most of todays PSU comes with connections for both.

so i have to check the psu for this power plug? will the computer work wiht out the second power plug?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
will the computer work wiht out the second power plug?
There are very few exceptions (actually i can only think of one ... and its only a potential cuz im too lazy to check) ... so no it wont work without the ATX12 :)

diroga

my computer teacher said that those 4 pin connectors are for P4's not AMD's. is he right? the picture for the mobo shows the 4 pin connector but the specs say it is an AMD.