advice on putting a pc together

mad_scientist

hi there,
I need some help from you guys! I need to buy a workstation to use for my work (heavy image processing). I use a specific software that has the following requirements for optimal usage:

CPU: 8 Core Intel with more than 2.6GHz clock speed and 64bit support RAM16GB
2 hard disks ~160GB, seek time 5ms or below
board based on ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 x 1GB on-board memory
monitor 1280x1024 pixels or better
mouse: 3 buttons
DVD, CD-RW
2 external hard disks 500GB

I have asked a couple of online shops and stores to give me some options, but basically they told me I should come up with the specific list of components I want and they will give me a price. Now since I know ZERO about this kind of stuff, I though you guys might help me out. Budget is a minor issue (oh well, I've got no idea how much money we are talking about here, at all), good and lasting material is more important...
please help?

thanks a bunch!

m_s

MacBook

banned
First, don't get Vista, get Windows 7. Second, you should looking into purchasing SSD's that have < 0.1ms seek time. For image processing, I would assume you are going to be dealing with lots of large files, and in that case 1TB of storage probably won't be enough. I would look into multiple 750GB-1TB drives for storage.

PohTayToez

First, don't get Vista, get Windows 7. Second, you should looking into purchasing SSD's that have < 0.1ms seek time. For image processing, I would assume you are going to be dealing with lots of large files, and in that case 1TB of storage probably won't be enough. I would look into multiple 750GB-1TB drives for storage.

Why would he go with Windows 7 when the only thing the computer is going to be used for is running a program that was designed to be specifically used on Windows Vista x64?

MacBook

banned
Why would he go with Windows 7 when the only thing the computer is going to be used for is running a program that was designed to be specifically used on Windows Vista x64?
You seem to enjoy replying to most of my posts with a negative attitude for some reason. The reason I said he should get Windows 7 is because it's whats available now, performs better, better security, more features, easier navigation, and will do anything Vista does. The question is, why wouldn't he get it?

Drenlin

We need some sort of budget limitation. Ballpark it, at least. Workstation hardware varies wildly in costs and performance. The processors alone vary from $200 each, up to $1700. The hard drives go from $50 cheapies, to $600 solid-state disks. Same with everything else. It would be very possible to build a $10,000 monster.

I do have some questions.

1- You said you needed two 160GB hard drives. Are you running them in a RAID array? If not, definitely look into it. It's a very good thing in a workstation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

2- I know you don't know a lot about it, but do you know if you will need error-checking memory? If not, can you ask someone?

3- By 4870 x2, do you mean the double card, or two individual 4870's? It's basically the same thing, but if the program uses specific coding, it'd be good to know.

4- What editing program is being used? Knowing that could help us determine what sort of hardware you need.

That isn't even close to what he's looking for...

I'd go with Win7 too, btw. It's built on the same NT kernel as Vista, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

You seem to enjoy replying to most of my posts with a negative attitude for some reason.

You're absolutely right I am. That's because I don't like most of your posts. You're one of those people who knows a bit about computers, and has been surrounded by people who know nothing about computers. As a result, you're used to being able to say whatever you want, and everyone just buys it because you're "the computer guy".

But then you come here and start posting, and all of sudden you're surrounded by people that actually might know a bit more than you do. Then, when you give dumb advice like:
I just use an old t-shirt to wipe the old thermal compound off
people here actually correct you. And rather than try and learn something you just get defensive and stubbornly fight it.

Seriously man, the point of a forum is to learn and discuss, and most of what I've seen you do is misinform and argue. What you don't seem to get is that if I contradict something that you say, I'm not looking for a fight, I just looking to make sure whoever you're "helping" and anyone else reading is getting the correct information.

MacBook

banned
You're absolutely right I am. That's because I don't like most of your posts. You're one of those people who knows a bit about computers, and has been surrounded by people who know nothing about computers. As a result, you're used to being able to say whatever you want, and everyone just buys it because you're "the computer guy".

But then you come here and start posting, and all of sudden you're surrounded by people that actually might know a bit more than you do. Then, when you give dumb advice like:

people here actually correct you. And rather than try and learn something you just get defensive and stubbornly fight it.

Seriously man, the point of a forum is to learn and discuss, and most of what I've seen you do is misinform and argue. What you don't seem to get is that if I contradict something that you say, I'm not looking for a fight, I just looking to make sure whoever you're "helping" and anyone else reading is getting the correct information.
This is funny, just goes to show that people act totally different to someone who has been here for a while, versus someone who just joined when the posts are identical. You also never responded to some of my posts where you knew I was right, and you were wrong.

PohTayToez

This is funny, just goes to show that people act totally different to someone who has been here for a while, versus someone who just joined when the posts are identical. You also never responded to some of my posts where you knew I was right, and you were wrong.

I stopped responding to your posts when it was clear that you would never concede on anything, ever. I've said what I have to say to you, and you've just passed it off as noob bashing, so at this point I don't see what I could possibly say to convince you otherwise. If you have more to say to me, I'll address it, but I suggest you do it through a visitor message to my profile so we don't continue to hijack this thread.

MacBook

banned
I stopped responding to your posts when it was clear that you would never concede on anything, ever. I've said what I have to say to you, and you've just passed it off as noob bashing, so at this point I don't see what I could possibly say to convince you otherwise. If you have more to say to me, I'll address it, but I suggest you do it through a visitor message to my profile so we don't continue to hijack this thread.
My last post here.

http://www.computerforum.com/1410509-post26.html
http://www.computerforum.com/1410511-post15.html

mad_scientist

We need some sort of budget limitation. Ballpark it, at least. Workstation hardware varies wildly in costs and performance. The processors alone vary from $200 each, up to $1700. The hard drives go from $50 cheapies, to $600 solid-state disks. Same with everything else. It would be very possible to build a $10,000 monster.

I do have some questions.

1- You said you needed two 160GB hard drives. Are you running them in a RAID array? If not, definitely look into it. It's a very good thing in a workstation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

2- I know you don't know a lot about it, but do you know if you will need error-checking memory? If not, can you ask someone?

3- By 4870 x2, do you mean the double card, or two individual 4870's? It's basically the same thing, but if the program uses specific coding, it'd be good to know.

4- What editing program is being used? Knowing that could help us determine what sort of hardware you need.

That isn't even close to what he's looking for...

I'd go with Win7 too, btw. It's built on the same NT kernel as Vista, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Budget: I would be happy with around $10.000, and forever grateful for around $5.000. I'll look into your questions and see if I can make anything out of it... The software I need to use is Imaris 6.4 (www.bitplane.com), so I see it can run on Win2007 as well. Basically I need it to analyze complex images/videos. The files themselves are not that huge (2GB top), but processing and analyzing are extremely demanding. I have a suboptimal workstation right now, it more or less does the job, although it requires geological times for each single image. I want to speed up the process, thus new computer required :D

MacBook

banned

Drenlin

Budget: I would be happy with around $10.000, and forever grateful for around $5.000. I'll look into your questions and see if I can make anything out of it... The software I need to use is Imaris 6.4 (www.bitplane.com), so I see it can run on Win2007 as well. Basically I need it to analyze complex images/videos. The files themselves are not that huge (2GB top), but processing and analyzing are extremely demanding. I have a suboptimal workstation right now, it more or less does the job, although it requires geological times for each single image. I want to speed up the process, thus new computer required :D
Just knowing the program helps a lot. I can't find any HD4870x2 cards, but there is an Nvidia GTX 285 listed in the "tested boards" section, which should serve your purposes admirably.

I'm putting Windows 7 (not 2007) in the build, because Vista doesn't seem to be available. They're based off of the same kernel, so there shouldn't be any problem. If there is a problem, it has an option called XP mode, which runs the program in a virtualized version of windows XP. It's really cool, and should fix any compatibility issues.

I probably won't make it under $5k, but it shouldn't be $10k either. I'm trying for a Nehalem-based Xeon system, which is the server/workstation version of the Core i7. That means this thing will scream. :)

edit: If the GTX 285 isn't ok, I've managed to find some 4870x2's in stock, but it's all at lesser-known retailers...is that ok?

Last edited:

Cams

Holy smokes a 5870 is 50 bones cheaper. Is there something I dont know but need to know about a 4870x2?

And lets cut the E-thugging in here. I havent seen any past posts between you two so I am not picking a side but lets agree to disagree. If you must, go kill eachother in some MW2 or something.