Alienware gaming laptop: worth the price for gaming on the go?

Would you buy an Alienware gaming laptop if you had the money?

• Yes

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Forget Alienware, I'd just get the XPS from Dell....

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters

ADE

banned
Well, those Alienware laptops for gaming look kinds cool. One con I can think of already is possible power sucktion when not pluged in playing gamesl...but still, would you buy one if you had the money?

jp198780

i would never buy a Alienware, reason: their sooo expensive...

but compared 2 the XPS, their probrably around the same price range...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The XPS was once the best gaming laptop, even outperforming the Alienwares machines. However, I still don't think "portable" and "gaming" should mix. Even lower-end laptops get way too hot. And the price/performace ratio is nothing compared to a desktop. Even if you get something like a 7900 in a laptop, it's around the same level as a 7600 in a desktop.

_simon_

I've heard nothing but bad reviews from people who own alienware machines.

Apparently if you ever need technical support / have a hardware issue then you will have to jump through burning hoops to get anywhere with them.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
i currently have an older alienware gaming laptop and it hasn't held up well at all, the monitor has had problems, dvd drive doesn't really work anymore, half the ram went bad, the overall case is falling appart as well as the keyboard. It just isn't worth the money.

ckfordy

banned
[-0MEGA-];531902 said:
I will never buy an Alienware PC, they are so overpriced it's not even funny.

Same here i will never buy one they are way over priced and i have heard from alot of people that they have had problems with them.

dmw2692004

my freind bought a alienware ALX when they first came out, it was like 5 gand total the thing was amazing but sounded like a jumbo jet. I set it up for him and everything the night that he got it. The nexst morning he calls me at like 6am and is almost crying because the dam thing wount even start. Turns out his mobo was defective and i was blamed for it. For that reason im never buying an alienware pc, They are way overpriced to.

lhstud10

my freind bought a alienware ALX when they first came out, it was like 5 gand total the thing was amazing but sounded like a jumbo jet. I set it up for him and everything the night that he got it. The nexst morning he calls me at like 6am and is almost crying because the dam thing wount even start. Turns out his mobo was defective and i was blamed for it. For that reason im never buying an alienware pc, They are way overpriced to.
yea 5 grand??? just build your own!!!!!

lovely?

yea 5 grand??? just build your own!!!!!

lol for 5 grand you could almost hire your own team of little asian people who are good at computers and ask them to come up with a super-computer lap-top. they're so good, they would finish before you left. jk

AdmnPower

VIP Member
It is so worth the money. I have never seen a better laptop. Adminpower is just fussy.

Well i wouldn't be so fussy if the one i have were durable. Shal i list what has gone wrong with it, i don't hear anyone saying no.

Video connector problem (loose video connection from factory caused random colored lines on the monitor)
Motherboard went bad (replaced under warranty)
512 meg of ram went bad, no warranty
dvd drive won't read anything but dvd's
monitor has random dark places on it
case is cracking

For over 3000 dollars i shouldn't have those types of problems, but don't get me wrong if you want something fast alienware is the way to go. Just beware and make sure you buy an extended warranty.

topramenisyummy

Yah, I would never pay that much for an alienware... your paying $2000+ extra for a name brand...
Look at this Dell Inspiron I configured for $1460 (including tax)

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center, CD and Ext USB TV Tuner, Remote
LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Combo or DVD+RW Drive 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

kof2000

if you're going to game might as well game on a desktop. laptop gaming, unless plugged in at all times you're not going to get good performance playing something like oblivion on battery :)

softe

i agree with kof2000, its pretty much pointless to play games on a laptop, unless your up in the air going from LA to Boston and need an hour of Half Life :p

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope i wouldnt buy one.

Even if i did have the HIGH amount of cash they price their laptops at i would rather build a sweet desktop machine.

HumanMage

What about the college kids, desktops are not very good due to the fact they are not portable. I am in the market for a laptop just for that reason, portability for college. And for those who play games while at college, its a nice thing to have. Yeah it doesn't play the games maybe at full resolution etc etc but you dont need all the eye candy to play the game (although it is nice). And with a "gaming" laptop, you get the best of both worlds, in one package. Although with a desktop you can only have one, and be tethered to your dorm room for papers and such.