Alienware? - Is it all that good, or is it just another expensive name?

enthusiast1917

hi, i was browsing the alienware site (www.alienware.com), planning to get a alienware computer for $5000. I had a feeling (although im quite a computer newb) that they charged more for their stuff like motherboard...'all this new cooling - super arctic blue stuff' and cool looking cases stamped with 'alienware' on em with the trademark alien head. I was wondering if you could get better or the same for 5000dollars, or even less?

is alienware actually what they say they are, or just another brand name that charges more?

Vampiric Rouge

Well if you want to build it yourself then for 5000 USD you could get a lot better of a pc. Alienware is there own company and they make nice pcs but they are extremly expencive and overpriced.

computerhakk

VIP Member
all that good? yes.
just another expensive name? yes.

u get a brand called "alienware" as ur system. quality gaming hardwares.. u can opt for something less.. way less..

not trying to offend u in anyway.. since u stated ur a "newb" .. you shouldn't need all those extra cooling, lights, etc.. if u dont handle it right.. there goes $$$ wasted. so start with something around $2500 if u have that MUCH to spend.. or even $2000. u might even be able to get that same setup for those prices..

if u want u can list the model of the alienware or its specs. they can help u out from there.

enthusiast1917

thanks for ur reply, i guess ill be getting a alienware then...altho its expensive im not really in a position to go out and buy everything and assemble it myself lol.

Archangel

VIP Member
but you would have a mucht better pc for less monney if you would do just that ;)

but on the other side.. if you want to play it totally safe, ( means, you dont want to run the rist you screw anything up while assembling) i would stick with the alienware, because it is good quality, way overpriced, but good :)

Shambree

Hey it's not that bad of a brand. Alot of the money that goes into the system goes towards the excellent warranty. And I hope you didn't spend $5000 on an intel based gaming system :eek:

enthusiast1917

lol actually, i was going for a intel dualcore or something, ive always been a intel fan, could anyone give me a good convincing point as to why i shouldnt get it? -> i wanna play games such as fear btw :D

Shambree

AMD systems tend to be better for gaming in overall power, so could somebody please explain why again, im to tired and lazy, night lol :D

Archangel

VIP Member
well.. what grafics will you have in that $5000 setup?
for that price you would get 2 7800GTX's in SLI in a home-build pc :)
with a 4800+ AMD dual core CPU, 2Gb RAM.
so, what are the spec's of the system you want to buy?

( btw, there is really nothing wrong with a intell based gaming system :) )

Geoff

VIP Member
I built a system on newegg, comes with: an AMD X2 4800+, 4GB corsair ddr400, 2x 7800GTX, 2x 250GB SATAII, and more... only costs $2500.

I could never imagine buying a computer from alienware that costs $5000 when you can buy the parts online for only $2500. And you dont need to go to stores to get your parts, just go to www.newegg.com, pick out the stuff, and they ship them to you. Not to mention its fun to build.

And AMD would be much better for a gaming machine than an Intel, i would go with the AMD X2 4800+ (Dualcore). I used to be an intel fan, thought they were really good cpu's for gaming, then i tried amd, and it easily beats intel.

enthusiast1917

i was gonna get 7800 sli'ed i think, dunno if its gt or gtx or gtx 'ko'

thanks for all the info guys, i think i mite build my own pc :) and save up the extra money for future upgrades

Geoff

VIP Member
enthusiast1917 said:
The best out there now is the 7800GTX

enthusiast1917 said:
thanks for all the info guys, i think i mite build my own pc :) and save up the extra money for future upgrades
excellent choice, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask here :)

apj101

VIP Member
as geoff said it's currently the 7800gtx. But getting the gt is one of those price performace drops that everyone make if they are in the 7800 series mood.
Also the 7800gt should be good enough to handle everything without the need for the sli. And by the time games need the 7800gt sli'd the card will be outdated :)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You know there is another method but it still means that you must learn a bit about computers first. You can go into certain shops and have them build you what you want. Basicly buy all parts from one source and pay them usualy around $20. to put it together for you. Or if you dont want to try and understand PC components then goto the alienware site and write down all the components of the PC you like. Take the list to a shop and see what they will charge you (goto a couple shops) Chances are you'll get just as good a PC for much less.

super_xero

its over prriced but if u have a alien wear you get respect you can brag lol its like you can afford to go for it even no your getting ripped of

Last edited: