Almost done!! Just need help connecting some cables

panther05

sorry I'm making another thread about this, it's just that the other thread is pretty much dead and I just need a couple more questions answered.

ok here's what I've done so far:

mobo555.jpg

as you see, I need help finding where to connect those five little wires comming from the front of the case.

also, I have a feeling I might have either the DVDRW or HDD (or both) cables misplaced on the mobo

lastly, I have a Geforce 6600GT pci-e and i thought I needed to connect a cable to it from the PSU (for its own power source), but I can't find one on there.

thanks for all the help...couldnt do this without you guys!!

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Have you read the manual? They usally have a pretty clear diagram of what goes where...

What do you mean you might have them backwards? For one, most motherboards don't care where drives are. You could the boot HD on the 2nd Slave ID and it'll work fine as long as it's set to boot.

My 6800GT used 2 molex(4 pin) connectors from the PS. How large is you're PS? My 450watt had more than enough connectors and I have more in my system than you do... Also, from what I read(but I'm not exactly sure) you can apparently run the card without any more juice going to it. Just might not work in games or something where it really need the power...

panther05

The_Other_One said:
Have you read the manual? They usally have a pretty clear diagram of what goes where...

What do you mean you might have them backwards? For one, most motherboards don't care where drives are. You could the boot HD on the 2nd Slave ID and it'll work fine as long as it's set to boot.

My 6800GT used 2 molex(4 pin) connectors from the PS. How large is you're PS? My 450watt had more than enough connectors and I have more in my system than you do... Also, from what I read(but I'm not exactly sure) you can apparently run the card without any more juice going to it. Just might not work in games or something where it really need the power...

yeah I been reading the manual left and right, it's just that they use a bunch of techincal terms i'm unfamiler with. They do have a diagram, but only to identify each slot on the mobo, and not what to connect to what.

but it seems like i've done everything right, i just need to connect those "Power-On" cables so that I can turn the computer on.

Can anyone help me with that?

Here are some slots on the mobo that seem to fit with the cables (small little 2-4 pin slots)

USBPW56
USBPW78
USB56
USB78
CLRTC
CHASSIS
PANEL
COM2
SPDIF_OUT
AAFP
CHA_FAN

most of which are located at the bottom right

panther05

HA!! I think i've just found them...

ok...getting some butterflies here...let me try to fire it up..

keep u guys posted!

joelkyr

if you would look at the lower right corner of your MOBO, its color coded that is where its ussualy place.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
as you see, I need help finding where to connect those five little wires coming from the front of the case

Firstly you need to be sure what they are :). Should be power button, reset and HD led. It'll tell you in the motherboards manual where to hook these up.

also, I have a feeling I might have either the DVDRW or HDD (or both) cables misplaced on the mobo

I would place the Hard drive as the primary master and the optical drive as secondary master.

lastly, I have a Geforce 6600GT pci-e and i thought I needed to connect a cable to it from the PSU (for its own power source), but I can't find one on there.

I could be wrong and prob am :p but I thought that the pci-express cards never needed to be hooked up to the psu as they pci-express slot gives sufficient enough power. You cannot miss it however as you'll see the connector for the power at the very end of the card (facing pc front) if it requires one.

My 6800GT used 2 molex(4 pin) connectors from the PS.

There's 6800gts that require 2 molex connecters? I never knew that. The ultras I did now however required 2.

panther05

ARRGH!!! :mad:

i tried to turn it on...nothing happened. The psu made a very slight noise...thats it. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
ARRGH!!!

i tried to turn it on...nothing happened. The psu made a very slight noise...thats it. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haste leads to dissasters... Place the PC in a well lit area and set your manual in front of you. read it page for page and check all your connections 3 times over.

panther05

joelkyr said:
check polarity of power switch connector, + to +/ - to -:)

yeah i tried that :(

one thing i'd like to add though....

deep inside where the POWER SW connects the on-switch, i noticed that the wire is a bit cut (the plasitc)

here's a pic i took from my webcam:
Picture26.jpg

you can notice it on the green wire, but there's seems to be damage on the black on as well. I bought the case for $20 open item from tigerdirect (retail location near my house)

Scrat

For one thing... you have your Harddrive & DVD Drive cables pluged into the wrong connectors.... The RED coloured sockets on the MotherBoard are only if you want to set up the HDD in a RAID config.
You need to plug your Harddrive & DVD Drive into the BLUE connector which is for IDE drives!

The shorter black one next to it is for the floppy drive. Remember to plug the connector after the twist into the floppy drive and the other end into the MB.

Scrat

joelkyr said:
check polarity of power switch connector, + to +/ - to -:)

If your talking about the two small wires going to the motherboard from the power button on the case... it doesn't matter which way you connect it as it is only a switch.

Also, with the little lights on the front of the case(these are polarity sensetive) if you are having trouble finding where to plug them in, just leave them disconnected for now as they dont actualy affect the opperation of the system, they only tell you the status.

panther05

Scrat said:
For one thing... you have your Harddrive & DVD Drive cables pluged into the wrong connectors.... The RED coloured sockets on the MotherBoard are only if you want to set up the HDD in a RAID config.
You need to plug your Harddrive & DVD Drive into the BLUE connector which is for IDE drives!

The shorter black one next to it is for the floppy drive. Remember to plug the connector after the twist into the floppy drive and the other end into the MB.

Ok quick question....how do I connect those two different flat cables onto just one socket on the mobo?

also...would that have prevented the computer from starting

Scrat

The cables are usualy called "IDE Ribbon Cables", and normaly they will have 3 connectors on them... 2 of the connectors will be a bit closer to each other, but does not matter which goes where as long as you line up pin1.

If you look at the cable, there should be a stripe(or dotted line) running down one side, this is the "Pin1" side.
Look at the label above the socket the cables plug into on the Harddrive & DVD drives, they will have either a numeral "1" or a little triange/arrow above the "Pin1" end of the socket.
Plug the ribbon cable into these connectors so that the stripe & triangle/arrow lineup.

If you now look at the blue connector on the Motherboard, you should seen a small 1, triangle or arrow at one end... this is the "Pin1" end. Plug cable in so stripe lines up with these.

If it does not have either, then look for a small "24" (i think)... plug the cable in so that the stripe is at the oposite end to this number.

Also look at the stickers on the HDD & DVD, for the details about the jumpers... there should be a little picture on the connectors and jumper pins labeled "Master, Slave & CS".
Set the HDD to be the master, and the DVD to be the Slave.

Its posible that it stopped the PC from turning on, but would prob have just booted and said couldn't detect any Harddrives.

panther05

Scrat said:
The cables are usualy called "IDE Ribbon Cables", and normaly they will have 3 connectors on them... 2 of the connectors will be a bit closer to each other, but does not matter which goes where as long as you line up pin1.

If you look at the cable, there should be a stripe(or dotted line) running down one side, this is the "Pin1" side.
Look at the label above the socket the cables plug into on the Harddrive & DVD drives, they will have either a numeral "1" or a little triange/arrow above the "Pin1" end of the socket.
Plug the ribbon cable into these connectors so that the stripe & triangle/arrow lineup.

If you now look at the blue connector on the Motherboard, you should seen a small 1, triangle or arrow at one end... this is the "Pin1" end. Plug cable in so stripe lines up with these.

If it does not have either, then look for a small "24" (i think)... plug the cable in so that the stripe is at the oposite end to this number.

Also look at the stickers on the HDD & DVD, for the details about the jumpers... there should be a little picture on the connectors and jumper pins labeled "Master, Slave & CS".
Set the HDD to be the master, and the DVD to be the Slave.

Its posible that it stopped the PC from turning on, but would prob have just booted and said couldn't detect any Harddrives.

ok I have a feeling you're gonna help me make this work at last..lol

here, I took a picture of the DVD (top) and hard drive (bottom) with the two flat cables (are those the ribbon cables???)....and drew what I understood from your last post to be the way to connect them, but i'm having doubts

0000harddrive.jpg

i guess just let me know if that's right....then we'll go from there :)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
That cable to the HD is wrong. Flip it around.

Edit:

Actualy switch the cables also :p. Take the one to the optical drive and hook up the hd and vis a versa.

Also, sorry for not reading any of this :p. But if that was your intentions then go ahead and do it.

Edit again:

Took a minute to read just a little, If there are bare wires I would suggest wrapping them with electrical tape. Also was there no manual that came with your motherboard?

Last edited:

panther05

Blue said:
That cable to the HD is wrong. Flip it around.

Edit:

Actualy switch the cables also :p. Take the one to the optical drive and hook up the hd and vis a versa.

Also, sorry for not reading any of this :p. But if that was your intentions then go ahead and do it.

Edit again:

Took a minute to read just a little, If there are bare wires I would suggest wrapping them with electrical tape. Also was there no manual that came with your motherboard?

ok i flipped the cable of the hard drive around.........but you completely lost me with the other part. :confused:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
0000harddrive.jpg

like this.

As for the bare wire part I was talking about the wires that you showed in the one picture running to the front of your pc.

Last edited: