AM2 motherboards

Derik75

Socket 940 includes AMD's Opteron 200s. AM2 also uses 940 pins but refers to their socket as AM2. AM2 and old socket 940 motherboards are not compatible.

fruscai

wate, so does that mean that opterons are am2 compatible? will i be able to pot a opt165 on an AM2 board and then just buy some DDR2 memory? And what about glitches etc, this is first generation stuff, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy, say 939 (with opt if it works) and then simply upgrade the mobo once the technology is more defined (as all other individual components function the same on the AM2 and the 939 socket, ie: VGA, Sound Card, etc)

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
fruscai said:
wate, so does that mean that opterons are am2 compatible? will i be able to pot a opt165 on an AM2 board and then just buy some DDR2 memory? And what about glitches etc, this is first generation stuff, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy, say 939 (with opt if it works) and then simply upgrade the mobo once the technology is more defined (as all other individual components function the same on the AM2 and the 939 socket, ie: VGA, Sound Card, etc)
Socket 940 and AM2 are different. They aren't backwards compatible with each other. If you have 940 cpu it wont work with AM2. Ignore the fact that they both have 940 pins.

fruscai

if i were planning to buy parts to build a computer this july, would am2 or 939 be a better route to travel, im in serious need of help here, i have to decide quick and work out prices, please give advice

fruscai said:
if i were planning to buy parts to build a computer this july, would am2 or 939 be a better route to travel, im in serious need of help here, i have to decide quick and work out prices, please give advice

Probably AM2, becuase it's more upgrade-able.