AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

Darren

Staff member
There seem to be a lot of issues with motherboard availability. Amazon hasn't had much of anything and Newegg is struggling somewhat too. Just saw the Asus Crosshair go on sale and then be sold out within an hour. Yesterday the only ones in stock were price gouged by resellers and a Biostar board (lol).

My parts are coming in tomorrow looks like. Saw a review for my mobo hitting 4.0GHz on a 1700 across all cores stable so sounds like I made the right choice.

Okedokey

Good news also is that AMD has seemingly identified an issue with the gaming performance and has major developers working on it. Good to see AMD back in the competition. Rumour of a new chip in Q2 as well.

Darren

Staff member
Good news also is that AMD has seemingly identified an issue with the gaming performance and has major developers working on it. Good to see AMD back in the competition. Rumour of a new chip in Q2 as well.
It's not "rumored" it's all but released and mentioned many times throughout the thread, Ryzen 5.

Surely it can't be as bad as the release of the pascal gpus when they first came out.

This is something I wish a lot of people would understand. AMD hasn't been in any competitive position in many years and thus game devs have all but ignored optimizations for them, particularly in their new SMT technology. SMT that I should point out is considered by many reviewers and benchmarks to work better than Hyper Threading.

A few months time I expect to see noticeably different gaming results and performance. On paper and as demonstrated by numerous benchmarks the Ryzen line are competitive in single thread. They just suffer as games haven't been developed with their architecture in mind and Windows is also having task scheduling issues and the like. It's a brand new platform, architecture, and design in nearly every way. Makes sense stuff won't be smooth sailing day one. They still won't ever clock like Intels do, at least not in this first generation.

MisterEd

I pre-ordered both the AMD Ryzen 1700X and ASUS Prime X370-Pro on February 23rd from Newegg. I received the Ryzen 1700X last Saturday March 4th. I received the ASUS Prime X370-Pro today March 9th.

I have everything I need to build the system except the computer case. Would you believe the seller sent the wrong case? I want to send it back and get a refund but the seller is dragging his feet.

Now I had to reorder a the same computer case from a different seller. I am supposed to get it next Monday (March 13) but don't know for sure because UPS for some reason stopped tracking it.

Deadpool

I pre-ordered both the AMD Ryzen 1700X and ASUS Prime X370-Pro on February 23rd from Newegg. I received the Ryzen 1700X last Saturday March 4th. I received the ASUS Prime X370-Pro today March 9th.

I have everything I need to build the system except the computer case. Would you believe the seller sent the wrong case? I want to send it back and get a refund but the seller is dragging his feet.

Now I had to reorder a the same computer case from a different seller. I am supposed to get it next Monday (March 13) but don't know for sure because UPS for some reason stopped tracking it.

Build it on a piece of cardboard and bench the damn thing till there is no more cardboard left! We are all waiting for this :D

Darren

Staff member
Build it on a piece of cardboard and bench the damn thing till there is no more cardboard left! We are all waiting for this :D
Tomorrow you will see the results. :)

Friggin' FedEx though... It left California Wednesday morning, hit New Mexico around midnight and then at 1:10PM today it literally drives right through my city and up to Kansas City to be sorted. Even registered as being in the suburb I live right next to so it was within a few miles of my house. Tonight/tomorrow it'll be sent back here from KC and delivered. Couldn't they just drop it off while they were already here....? :p

I'll probably go to work right when it gets delivered too since I work at 2pm and that's when FedEx usually comes. I am not a patient man...

enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

Darren

Staff member
In those moments you realise how good Amazon 1 day delivery actually is.
I could have paid for faster delivery but doubling to tripling delivery charges for a day isn't worth it. I've been running AM3(+) for 5 years, I can wait a day.

Deadpool

I could have paid for faster delivery but doubling to tripling delivery charges for a day isn't worth it. I've been running AM3(+) for 5 years, I can wait a day.

Oh but you forget about the Prime membership 30-day free trial :p I even got $70 free from my last (and only) $650 purchase.

Darren

Staff member
Oh but you forget about the Prime membership 30-day free trial :p I even got $70 free from my last (and only) $650 purchase.
I've gotten a year of prime for free. Somehow activated the student 6 month trial two different times on one account.

Darren

Staff member
Student free trial? Man that´s new. And one year is fudging nuts.
Not remotely. If you are a college student, maybe even high school, you can get a student trial for 6 months. Set it up and cancel it instantly and 6 months of free shipping. First one I activated was at least 2+ years ago and it's been around longer than that.

Deadpool

Not remotely. If you are a college student, maybe even high school, you can get a student trial for 6 months. Set it up and cancel it instantly and 6 months of free shipping. First one I activated was at least 2+ years ago and it's been around longer than that.

Oh man that´s awesome. It´s a shame they don´t ship computer parts to Argentina.

lucasbytegenius

Got screwed with Corsair running out of stock with their AM4 brackets. Returning my H110 and ordered the H110i from Amazing that supposedly has the bracket. Will get it on Saturday.