AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

Darren

Staff member
Would advise extreme caution to an early Ryzen owners. I didn't reinstall Windows and I think it's complicating things for me a lot but I did attempt to overclock via Boost clock adjustment and just got continuous black screening for 40 mins. Had to reset CMOS and pull battery numerous times as well as reseat RAM to get it to finally POST again. Also had a couple BSOD's while watching Netflix for memory. Had to downclock that. Running on BIOS out of the box as the upgrade utilities and flash from a flash drive aren't working for me. I'm going to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode tonight or tomorrow and attempt to reflash. Guessing that since I'm running in Legacy mode on an old install for a different chipset it's not terribly happy with me.

Handled GTA like butter though compared to my 8320. Also noticed that my CPU-Z score is higher on single thread than a 6600K while running at a lower stock clock than the Intel. "Bad gaming CPU".

Origin Saint

Would advise extreme caution to an early Ryzen owners. I didn't reinstall Windows and I think it's complicating things for me a lot but I did attempt to overclock via Boost clock adjustment and just got continuous black screening for 40 mins. Had to reset CMOS and pull battery numerous times as well as reseat RAM to get it to finally POST again. Also had a couple BSOD's while watching Netflix for memory. Had to downclock that. Running on BIOS out of the box as the upgrade utilities and flash from a flash drive aren't working for me. I'm going to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode tonight or tomorrow and attempt to reflash. Guessing that since I'm running in Legacy mode on an old install for a different chipset it's not terribly happy with me.

Handled GTA like butter though compared to my 8320. Also noticed that my CPU-Z score is higher on single thread than a 6600K while running at a lower stock clock than the Intel. "Bad gaming CPU".

I'd like to make it clear you are making me want an upgrade really bad and I don't need one and it's frustrating the hell out of me.

But, on that topic, past this Windows issue, you have got it made now son.

lucasbytegenius

I haven't reinstalled Windows since 2010, not looking forward to ending my streak :( This installation has been through 3 hard drives and an SSD, 3 versions of Windows, and 4 different computers. I haven't had any issues with my setups so I never reinstalled.

The cooler I ordered on Amazon that I thought would be here today will actually be here on Wednesday :(

beers

Staff member
not looking forward to ending my streak
giphy.gif

Darren

Staff member
I WinRe once a year. This will be my third time in 6 months now though...

I'd like to make it clear you are making me want an upgrade really bad and I don't need one and it's frustrating the hell out of me.

But, on that topic, past this Windows issue, you have got it made now son.

Doo eeeeiiitttt

Look at that multithreaded score. It calls to you.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
The MicroCenter in Kansas City had dozens of the X370 Asus Prime and the MSI X370 Gaming Carbon as of yesterday. I expect a lot more motherboard availability in the upcoming weeks.

Darren

Staff member
I was about to leave work and go there to pick up this Raspberry Pi Zero W, and you throw this knowledge on me?

RIP wallet.
Do it. Do it. Do it.

They had a full display set up for Ryzen and a banner too.

Jiniix

So my 1800X looks pretty much identical to that at complete stock. Didn't have much time to play with it yesterday :(

But what are the cool kids using to monitor temps? I did a bit of searching, and it appears 1700X and 1800X doesn't have per-core-temp, and all HWMonitor reported were TMPIN1,2 and 3 - which should be socket 56C, mobo overall 32C and northbridge 24C.

But both CPU and DRAM voltage had a spike to 2.790v at some point, according to HWMonitor. Anyone seen something like this?

Darren

Staff member
So my 1800X looks pretty much identical to that at complete stock. Didn't have much time to play with it yesterday :(

But what are the cool kids using to monitor temps? I did a bit of searching, and it appears 1700X and 1800X doesn't have per-core-temp, and all HWMonitor reported were TMPIN1,2 and 3 - which should be socket 56C, mobo overall 32C and northbridge 24C.

But both CPU and DRAM voltage had a spike to 2.790v at some point, according to HWMonitor. Anyone seen something like this?

I'm downloading this.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Edit: Dang this thing is cool. Shows clock speed, temp, voltage, and has controls for core disabling, individual core speeds, and memory control. Matches what I already set in my BIOS even.

Jiniix

Thanks, I'll take a look at it when I get off work. I can't wait to squeeze every bit of performance from this CPU :D