AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

beers

Staff member
If it can beat the 6800K at launch
aDIE9sk.png

Okedokey

We've seen all of this before. Bulldozer was the classic. Lets wait and see, but I am sure intel has several options to drop if anything comes close.

Darren

Staff member
We've seen all of this before. Bulldozer was the classic. Lets wait and see, but I am sure intel has several options to drop if anything comes close.

Oh it'll definitely "come close". Benchmarks clearly show that.

Bulldozer performed poorly even in benchmarks before release and received much less coverage and scrutiny than Zen. There's a lot more transparency by AMD with these chips because of Bulldozer being what it was. Also, benchmarks don't lie, there's clearly a massive improvement here in raw power.

Also I'd like to point out that I'm not hoping/expecting AMD to perform better than Intel at the top of the line. And neither are they because they're not trying to with Summit Ridge. What they are focusing on is bringing themselves back into mainstream market. As nice it is to brag that "your" brand has the best doesn't change that the vast majority of sales and thus revenue happen at a 2-300 price point and not 1k. AMD's assets are a fraction of Intel's and have continued to dwindle. They need to reestablish themselves as a functional business before blowing insane research and development myoney on being the best. I'd be flat disappointed if Intel didn't have the top performing chips as they're many magnitudes larger as a company.

What I'm excited about and the most impressive thing here is how much of a jump they're making. Even the 40% increase, let alone double in some applications.

Okedokey

Hmm im not sure I agree with this mate. Bulldozer made outrageous claims at the time, and often, benchmarks are synthetic and are chosen to be advantageous to strengths and avoid weaknesses. There is really no evidence to date that they will match Intel even at the lower price points. It will depend greatly also, on what intel does with binning Kaby Lake. They can easily afford to even make a loss to neuter the AMD release.

I guess we will see.

Darren

Staff member
Now... compete with the 6950X for half the price!

I may jump ship if that ever happens.

I'd be shocked if it did. I still don't understand why you camp out in the super high end market. What do you use your CPU's for that would need that?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Speaking of e-wieners....

I wish I had bought the evga X58 SR2 when I bought my system. Those things are like rare as a unicorn nowadays.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea probably. But you gotta remember, that board was offered during the period evga still offered lifetime warranty. :D

Still... what a sick board that was. Running dual X5690's would destroy everything in it's path even to this day.

spirit

Staff member

spirit

Staff member
Shots fired.

What about the comparatively weak IPC/single thread deficiencies of the x5650 in comparison?

This scenario seems backwards for once..
Hahaha I was joking. :p I honestly have no idea how these old Xeons perform these days, never had to look at benchmarks or anything for them. Pretty sure the country was in recession when X58 was new so nobody could afford any of it anyway. :p

Intel_man

VIP Member
The X5650 is just a lower binned X5690 which is essentially a dual QPI enabled version of what I'm running right now. I'm sure the X5650 can OC to around 4.0 without much problems. Granted though, I'd rather run the X5690 over the X5650.

Intel_man

VIP Member
AMD Zen motherboard chipset design issue may add to costs
http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/93896-amd-zen-motherboard-chipset-design-issue-may-add-costs/
In particular, reports say that the ASMedia chipset's "USB 3.1 transmission speeds drop dramatically as circuit distance increases". To remedy this motherboard makers will have to add retimer and redriver chips, or even an independent USB 3.1 IC chip, or else end-user USB 3.1 connectivity performance will be under par or may even not work properly.

The above complication will add an unwelcome build cost for AMD Zen motherboards of between US$2-5

I wonder how much extra that will actually end up being for the consumers if any at all?