AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

spirit

Staff member
If they want to survive they need to compete on all levels, not just value. This is what killed them in the past few years. From the looks of it they will be.
Definitely. The Phenom II was well-priced and did perform a little worse than the Intels but it was cheaper. Vishera when it was new was OK compared to the 3570K but if they go down the 'it'll do if we sell it a low price' attitude again, they will need to replace their lineup more frequently than every 4 years.

If they're going to be competing on all basis than that sounds great.

Darren

Staff member
Definitely. The Phenom II was well-priced and did perform a little worse than the Intels but it was cheaper. Vishera when it was new was OK compared to the 3570K but if they go down the 'it'll do if we sell it a low price' attitude again, they will need to replace their lineup more frequently than every 4 years.

If they're going to be competing on all basis than that sounds great.
They've made new CPU's in the past 4 years, just nothing on the higher end. The problem was that they invested way too much into Bulldozer in the expectation/hope that applications would make use of numerous cores. This was a very forward thinking approach on their part, just suffered poor execution and things that relied on single core performance suffered greatly. This does make their products age relatively well as stuff makes use of those cores, but the underlying architecture sucked. They didn't have the resources to start from scratch again so you see the 4 year gap on the high end now.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The chipset naming scheme... X300 & X370... why. WHY SO SIMILAR TO INTEL'S NAMING SCHEME. It's just going to get confusing when Intel releases the Z270 replacement (sometime in the future) with the presumed designation Z370.

Other than that... WOOHH! Competition!

Darren

Staff member
The chipset naming scheme... X300 & X370... why. WHY SO SIMILAR TO INTEL'S NAMING SCHEME. It's just going to get confusing when Intel releases the Z270 replacement (sometime in the future) with the presumed designation Z370.

Yeah I'm not a fan either. Kinda like how their chips will be SR3, SR5, and SR7. They're quite clearly trying to mimic Intel to some extent, at least in branding. Probably a good thing because unless you pay close attention to AMD hardware you don't have a damn clue what any of their CPU's are but most people have heard of i3/i5/i7.

beers

Staff member

Seems like a lame ploy to me.

'This chipset is obviously newer/superior because 370 is more than 270'

Intel_man

VIP Member
The SR# designation reminds me of this badboy.

96b.jpg

Darren

Staff member
Updated the OP with some more info. Anybody else around here planning to jump on board once these drop?

Intel_man

VIP Member
I will not be making the jump. :p

Mainly because I'm a broke ass student right now... and because I don't really need the upgrade yet.

Darren

Staff member
I will not be making the jump. :p

Mainly because I'm a broke ass student right now... and because I don't really need the upgrade yet.
Yeah I'm legitimately "hiding" money from myself in my desk so it's not in my bank account. Outta sight, outta mind and won't hurt so much when I drop hundreds on a platform upgrade. :D

Honestly I don't even "need" an upgrade as I don't game very much anymore and most of it is simple stuff like Rocket League. I'm ready for a truly high end CPU.

lucasbytegenius

I'm running an 8320 (kill me pls) and this year is my upgrade year. Waiting on Ryzen and benchmarks to drop, then ultimately it's going to be between Ryzen and Kaby Lake for me. I'd love to go AMD again but I don't want to get screwed like I did with the 8320. Everything I've read about Zen looks really good but man the motherboards look like garbage right now.

Darren

Staff member
I'm running an 8320 (kill me pls) and this year is my upgrade year. Waiting on Ryzen and benchmarks to drop, then ultimately it's going to be between Ryzen and Kaby Lake for me. I'd love to go AMD again but I don't want to get screwed like I did with the 8320. Everything I've read about Zen looks really good but man the motherboards look like garbage right now.
You ever mess with OC'ing? My 8320 was noticeably more viable when I overclocked it, even the overclock you can get from a 212 air cooler is enough to be worth the time and effort. Under water cooling and cranked up to 4.5GHz it feels like a whole different chip.

Still, it's time. My motherboard doesn't even have UEFI it's so old. All legacy stuff with 12 seconds POST time.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new motherboards. Hoping a few more models and color schemes drop because not a whole lot of options as it stands now. I intend to get it as soon as I can but if I have to wait a few weeks for prices to stabilize and maybe a few more motherboard options I'll wait.

lucasbytegenius

I got it up to 4.2GHz stable with my 212, but it's still just not that good these days because of individual core performance I think. My build's nearing 4 years old now too.

I hope Gigabyte or MSI releases something better than the flashy garbage they previewed.

Calin

My prediction is that Ryzen will beat the i7 7700k in CPU intensive tasks like rendering while the 7700k will beat Ryzen in tasks that use up to 4 threads like gaming.
When talking about the 8c/16t Zen CPU