AMD FX 62 or Intel Extreme Duo core

Status
Not open for further replies.

stishdr

which core duo would you be buying? personally im an AMD fan all the way...especially for gaming, most people will tell you that on this site if you haven't found that out already.

SirKenin

banned
The best Core2Duo slaughters the best AMD, and for cheaper. It's a no brainer really. This old myth that AMD is better for games is no more, if it ever was.

Kairo

Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 965 Dual-Core CPU w/HT Technology 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB Cache EM64T

or

(Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 FX 62 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MIK3daG33K

The best Core2Duo slaughters the best AMD, and for cheaper. It's a no brainer really. This old myth that AMD is better for games is no more, if it ever was.

Very very true. This used to be the case in the preshot days, but as of right now intel is top dog again and we are waiting for AMD to fire back with something substantial. Intel and AMD round about and I just buy the best processor at the time for the cheapsest price.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 965 Dual-Core CPU w/HT Technology 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB Cache EM64T

or

(Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 FX 62 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
I wouldn't even consider the Pentium EE 965. Look at the superior Core 2 Duo X6800 instead.

Bobo

banned
The best Core2Duo slaughters the best AMD, and for cheaper. It's a no brainer really.
The FX-62 is $700 and the X6800 is $950. I think that the performance per dollar there is pretty even, because the X6800 doesn't totally slaughter the AMD, it's just considerably better.

Archangel

VIP Member
The C2D is by far the better CPU. Absolutely no competition here.

But...but... the casebadge? :D but yes, amd doesnt have anything to compete with the C2D atm, however,.. the AMD chips arnt bad at all, the intel's atm are just faster (i didnt want to say better.. since they are both really good, and quality wise absolutely equal) :)

bigsaucybob

The E6600 out performs the FX-62, so the C2D Extreme basically owns the AMD.

I would still throw out the extra cash to get a C2D.

ceewi1

VIP Member
The FX-62 is $700 and the X6800 is $950. I think that the performance per dollar there is pretty even, because the X6800 doesn't totally slaughter the AMD, it's just considerably better.
Those looking at purchasing the top of the line CPU are rarely concerned with 'performance per dollar'. For those who are, the E6600 and E6700 will outperform the FX-62, with a considerabely lower price-tag.

SirKenin

banned
I've never concerned myself with the price/performance retardedness. That was for fanboys who couldn't afford any better, a way to justify their purchase. That's all that was. The way I buy parts, I buy it because I want it. If I can't afford it, I rob old ladies until I can. :p

apj101

VIP Member
That was for fanboys who couldn't afford any better, a way to justify their purchase...[]... I buy [my parts] because I want it. If I can't afford it, I rob old ladies until I can.

a marketeers dream customer, and interesting given that your signature reads
Wisdom outweighs any wealth.
stop talking bollocks

SirKenin

banned
I have a funny feeling that Sophocles knew nothing about computers, apj101. Call it a hunch. :p

By the way, interesting way of trying to twist my words by adding and removing emphasis with the use of brackets. Do you do that often?

I buy a particular computer part because I have done my research and I know what it is capable of doing. All the fools went the Axp route because they thought "wow! I'm getting something for nothing". When in reality they weren't. It came at a price, whether they want to admit it or not. It is the age old problem that has been around since people thought that Cyrix was giving them something for nothing.

Interestingly enough, I don't have problems. Do you see me posting a ton of problems on this board? Why is that? Because I know what the hell I'm talking about because I've done my homework. Intel offered a superior quality product. The supporting products were of a superior quality. Period. That has changed since the A64 was released, but I haven't bothered upgrading. Good thing I didn't. Now that the C2D is wiping it's ass with the A64, there is no question which route to go. I still don't need a new computer, but when I do it's no contest.

AMD had their chance with my personal business, and they lost it (yes I had an Athlon XP system that I ran for about six months. It was all top of the line hardware.. The best money could buy.. Even the HSF was a $120 unit. The mobo was almost $300. and it was still a piece of shit.) I still want a pair of Opterons for my server though. I will admit that they are awesome CPUs.

EDIT: By the way, a comparable AMD and Intel CPU (A64 vs P4) are roughly the same price. What advantage is there to going to the AMD? If given a choice, what does enterprise buy? Intel.. You see, if AMD doesn't offer a significant price advantage, there really is no reason to go AMD. AMD figured that out the hard way when they had to run in the red for almost a decade. Selling on par with Intel does not gain them marketshare. The market has proven this.

So don't twist my words around, make fun of my sig, and call me a marketeers dream without having the whole story.

Last edited:

Rambo

I've never concerned myself with the price/performance retardedness. That was for fanboys who couldn't afford any better, a way to justify their purchase.

I wanted an E6600, but I can definately justify my E6300 purchase...

SirKenin

banned
I'm not sure which one I want... What I do know is that I have several systems with the P4 in them. One of them is a 2.8 Prescott. It has been running 24/7 since I bought it 3 or so years ago, and never given me one minute's problem. Again, I bought all top of the line gear, and there has never been one game that I've thrown at it that it can't play, so I figure why bother upgrading the dumb thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think I might hold off for a while and see what the quad core CPUs are capable of doing. I'll check out both AMD and Intel offerings and see who has the superior quality product. Then I'll just do a complete rebuild and throw this stuff in another rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.