AMD FX 8350 vs i5 3550

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostsoul62

The i5 3550 is 22nm, 77 Watts, Ivy Bridge, and 3rd generation, and the FX 8350 is 32nm, 125 Watts, has 8 cores so I don't know which one I should get. I won't be overclocking it. Any suggestions?

spirit

Staff member
If you're not overclocking I have a feeling the i5 has better performance, even though the FX has twice as many cores.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
What are you plans with it? Gaming, video-editing, browsing, rendering,...

If it's pure for gaming and normal use, go for the i5.
If it's more then only gaming, go for the fx8350. (if you don't mind to overclock, go fx8320 and oc it to fx8350 clocks or higher)

jonnyp11

Id go for the 8320 over the 8350 no matter what, the price isnt worth the added speed.

Agreed with above though, normal stuff and gaming would be i5, if you plan to edit videos and do 3d CAD stuff then the 8320

StrangleHold

Staff member
I know you said your not overclocking. But considering the 8320 in unlocked and easy to overclock, myself I would go with it. You should be able to get 4.2/4.3ghz with the stock cooler if you have good case air flow.

tech savvy

I know you said your not overclocking. But considering the 8320 in unlocked and easy to overclock, myself I would go with it. You should be able to get 4.2/4.3ghz with the stock cooler if you have good case air flow.

Hell no! Not trying to be rude, but 4.2/4.3 on stock cooler...I think not.

tech savvy

BS. It will do 4.2 with stock CPU volts. Unless you bump up the voltage it doesnt raise the heat much at all.

Of course it can be clocked to 4.2-4.3 w/stock HSF, but temps will soar. I wouldn't recommend any OC with w/stock HSF. If anything get the CM 212 , it's cheap, but does wonders.

jonnyp11

Of course it can be clocked to 4.2-4.3 w/stock HSF, but temps will soar. I wouldn't recommend any OC with w/stock HSF. If anything get the CM 212 , it's cheap, but does wonders.

8350 uses the same cooler and it has a turbo of 4.2 and stock clock at 4GHz, so if it isn't stable and cool enough at 4.2 then the 8350 wouldn't be there, now would it?

StrangleHold

Staff member

Even though I have done this many times with Zambezi and the Vishera even runs cooler. Lets discuss this.

1. How many Zambezi/Vishera have you overclocked?

2, You do know that the FX 8320/8350 doesnt have the crap heatsinks Intels come with?

3, You do understand that these will do 4.2/4.3 on stock voltage, as in not raising the voltage?

4, You do know that raising the voltage causes most of the temp. increase, not the mhz.?

5, You did see where I said if you have good case air flow?

6. Tell me which one of the above that I am wrong with.

tech savvy

8350 uses the same cooler and it has a turbo of 4.2 and stock clock at 4GHz, so if it isn't stable and cool enough at 4.2 then the 8350 wouldn't be there, now would it?

I don't think that apply's to all cores. When the CPU realizes that an app/game isn't utilizing all the cores it will temporarily shut off like 2/3/4 of them and raise the clock on the remaining ones to boost performance, not all 8 cores boost to 4.2. If you OC to 4.2-4.3 on all 8 cores manually w/stock HSF, heat would be to much.

87dtna

OMG dude 4.2 would be fine on a stock cooler you know nothing.

Anyway, personally the I5 is better at 95% of apps, even with rendering/video editing ETC the I5 isn't slow enough to warrant the AMD purchase when the I5 is much faster at pretty much anything else.

biosx

Hi,

I just signed up to reply to this thread because some people looking for valid information may be mislead by some of the posts.

First of all, I have owned two FX-8320 CPUs and now own an FX-8350. I can tell you the following things:
- stock cooler is good for stock;
- 8320s will (most of the times) NOT clock to 8350 speed (4GHz/4.2turbo) on stock volts. The reason they are being sold as 8320 is that they cannot perform as 8350s at a decent voltage. Both 8320 (batch 1236) had VID (1.4 the first one and 1.3875 the second one) with even higher turbo VID ofc. Neither of them was stable at 4GHz with stock voltage and even so, they were running rather hot (4050 GHz, 1.3875v, LLC set to High - up to 60C on the core) with the FZ-120 (granted, not the best aftermarket cooler, but still keeps the CPU 5-7 degrees lower than the stock cooler). Stock cooler would easily go beyond the 62C recommended on the cores.
- 8350s run 4GHz on lower voltages and thus dissipate less heat, keeping within the 125w TDP, which and overclocked 8320 will most definitely will not (there are some very few golden chips that may do so);
- if you don't want the extra speed (granted in real life there's not THAT much of a difference between 3.5GHz and 4GHz on a PD chip), you can go for the 8320;
- if you want to be past the 4GHz barrier and not put a lot of cash into aftermarket cooling, go for the 8350.

nmiller

Hi,

I just signed up to reply to this thread because some people looking for valid information may be mislead by some of the posts.

First of all, I have owned two FX-8320 CPUs and now own an FX-8350. I can tell you the following things:
- stock cooler is good for stock;
- 8320s will (most of the times) NOT clock to 8350 speed (4GHz/4.2turbo) on stock volts. The reason they are being sold as 8320 is that they cannot perform as 8350s at a decent voltage. Both 8320 (batch 1236) had VID (1.4 the first one and 1.3875 the second one) with even higher turbo VID ofc. Neither of them was stable at 4GHz with stock voltage and even so, they were running rather hot (4050 GHz, 1.3875v, LLC set to High - up to 60C on the core) with the FZ-120 (granted, not the best aftermarket cooler, but still keeps the CPU 5-7 degrees lower than the stock cooler). Stock cooler would easily go beyond the 62C recommended on the cores.
- 8350s run 4GHz on lower voltages and thus dissipate less heat, keeping within the 125w TDP, which and overclocked 8320 will most definitely will not (there are some very few golden chips that may do so);
- if you don't want the extra speed (granted in real life there's not THAT much of a difference between 3.5GHz and 4GHz on a PD chip), you can go for the 8320;
- if you want to be past the 4GHz barrier and not put a lot of cash into aftermarket cooling, go for the 8350.

Good to hear!
I just ordered an 8350 and a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 mobo along with a corsair 550d casesome other upgrades. Looking forward to it even more now!

I have this Zalman cooler currently. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

It cools my x4 965 really well despite the terrible airflow in my ancient case. Does anyone have experience with Zalmans and fx series? specifically the 8350?

I'll probably run the 8350 stock for a while but eventually would like to try oc'ing it. How well should I expect the Zalman to cool it with a much better case/case fans?

biosx

Good to hear!
I just ordered an 8350 and a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 mobo along with a corsair 550d casesome other upgrades. Looking forward to it even more now!

I have this Zalman cooler currently. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

It cools my x4 965 really well despite the terrible airflow in my ancient case. Does anyone have experience with Zalmans and fx series? specifically the 8350?

I'll probably run the 8350 stock for a while but eventually would like to try oc'ing it. How well should I expect the Zalman to cool it with a much better case/case fans?

Don't expect stelar performance from the cooler on the FX, my FZ-120 used to keep the Phenom x4 under 40C and the FX reaches 50+ in prime with the same case/cooling. That's at stock.

You will probably be able to do some mild OC-ing, depending on what stock VID your chip will have and how much can it take with stock voltage (or even a bit of undervolting) but if you want to get 4.5+ GHz out of it, cooling is most likely going to be an issue.

From what I've seen, most people OCing these chips are running either top-of-the-line air coolers or water cooling (either H100i or custom loops).

Have fun with the chip, keep an eye on the temps.

nmiller

Don't expect stelar performance from the cooler on the FX, my FZ-120 used to keep the Phenom x4 under 40C and the FX reaches 50+ in prime with the same case/cooling. That's at stock.

You will probably be able to do some mild OC-ing, depending on what stock VID your chip will have and how much can it take with stock voltage (or even a bit of undervolting) but if you want to get 4.5+ GHz out of it, cooling is most likely going to be an issue.

From what I've seen, most people OCing these chips are running either top-of-the-line air coolers or water cooling (either H100i or custom loops).

Have fun with the chip, keep an eye on the temps.

I'll be picking up a Thermalright Silver Arrow so that should suit it well I think. I'll probably just end up using the stock clock for a while and oc'ing it in a few months if I end up getting a larger psu. I've got a corsair hx850 right now but the fx 8350 seems power hungry, less so than other fx's though.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I'll be picking up a Thermalright Silver Arrow so that should suit it well I think. I'll probably just end up using the stock clock for a while and oc'ing it in a few months if I end up getting a larger psu. I've got a corsair hx850 right now but the fx 8350 seems power hungry, less so than other fx's though.

if you're picking up a silver arrow, make sure you take the SB-e, they are the new ones.
Great choice btw, it matches or even ownes a noctua nh-d14 and some water coolers.
I did 5.1ghz with my 2600k and temps were 83°C max, on 4.8ghz I get around 70 degrees.
Now I'm running 4.6ghz daily, 62° max.
The silver arrow sb-e extreme should be awesome though...
I think you'll be able to get 4.6ghz easy for daily with the silver arrow, with the extreme edition maybe 4.7ghz.
The silver arrow should be able to hit 5ghz on a reasonable temp.

Where do you live? Because I don't think they sell them in the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.