AMD FX 8350 vs i5 3550

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmiller

if you're picking up a silver arrow, make sure you take the SB-e, they are the new ones.
Great choice btw, it matches or even ownes a noctua nh-d14 and some water coolers.
I did 5.1ghz with my 2600k and temps were 83°C max, on 4.8ghz I get around 70 degrees.
Now I'm running 4.6ghz daily, 62° max.
The silver arrow sb-e extreme should be awesome though...
I think you'll be able to get 4.6ghz easy for daily with the silver arrow, with the extreme edition maybe 4.7ghz.
The silver arrow should be able to hit 5ghz on a reasonable temp.

Where do you live? Because I don't think they sell them in the US.
Nice, I was looking at some closed-loop liquid coolers (H100i) but they really just don't seem that well built. I already spent a lot on upgrades for this build, and didn't want to shell out for a real quality liquid cooler or custom one. I was between the nh-d14 and the silver arrow, picked the latter. And yeah I ordered the sb-e model, the thing looks amazing!

I live in the US, and found one on amazon.com.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Nice, I was looking at some closed-loop liquid coolers (H100i) but they really just don't seem that well built. I already spent a lot on upgrades for this build, and didn't want to shell out for a real quality liquid cooler or custom one. I was between the nh-d14 and the silver arrow, picked the latter. And yeah I ordered the sb-e model, the thing looks amazing!

I live in the US, and found one on amazon.com.

okey, look at my silver arrow. http://www.computerforum.com/9727-post-pic-your-pc-here-964.html
I like it because it's huge lol.
If you installed it, you have to let the cooling past work in for maximum cooling.

nmiller

okey, look at my silver arrow. http://www.computerforum.com/9727-post-pic-your-pc-here-964.html
I like it because it's huge lol.
If you installed it, you have to let the cooling past work in for maximum cooling.

I'll probably install it vertically in my new case (corsair 550d.) REALLY looking forward to building it. That case has a large top vent that I'll run two 140mm fans in so those and the silver arrow running vertically should be really efficient and benefit from natural convection.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I'll probably install it vertically in my new case (corsair 550d.) REALLY looking forward to building it. That case has a large top vent that I'll run two 140mm fans in so those and the silver arrow running vertically should be really efficient and benefit from natural convection.

your mobo horizontal? Nice! should cool great! Did you get the extreme one?

nmiller

your mobo horizontal? Nice! should cool great! Did you get the extreme one?

Nope haha, I only realized the extreme one existed after I purchased it.

I'm pretty sure the 550d has a standard mobo placement but I've seen a few people run the silver arrow vertically on standard setups in their rigs. If I can't do that I'm sure it will do great horizontally! I'm so glad I picked this, nothing beats the simplicity of air cooling. The reviews for this thing (SB-e) are stellar and the engineering looks very impressive!

Virssagòn

VIP Member
No, you can't I think. There are 2 holes for the screws to lift the heatsink, but you can't turn them. You do have normally a backfan on your case though?
And if it's because of your RAM, no problem, you can lift the first fan high enough. It even got over my ripsjaws with pretty high heatspreaders.

Last edited:

nmiller

Ah okay, yeah I've got a rear case fan. Great, I've got ripjaws as well. I read some reports of the SA clearing ripjaws but I have no problem with hearing it confirmed by someone else!

Okedokey

Since this thread has been hijacked by nmiller and the OP hasn't repsonded, I think we should get back to the OP with actual answers.

The 8350 is a very poor choice...

AMD remains deeply uncompetitive in primarily single threaded applications such as games without offering the significant benefits in multi-threaded applications you’d expect from a chip boasting eight cores. Peak power consumption remains higher than Intel too and it’s these fundamental issues that mean the FX-8350 just isn’t a competitive CPU. Despite the drop in price, there’s almost no reason to opt for the FX-8350 in comparison to the Intel competition; it seems that while AMD’s changed lots of little things about the FX-8350, the end result remains largely the same.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/8

To the OP, at the very least, consider getting a i5 2500K, you will see much better real world result for about the same money.

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Maybe you're right, but still, the new visheras aren't that bad. And in most games they do pretty well.
Also wtf do you say there multithreaded is not good while it beats an i7 2600k in most cases? Still, amd is backed especially because his singlethreaded performance. But most singlethreaded operations are short actions where you don't even see the difference, most more intensive programs are able to use at least 4 threads . Intel beats amd there too though...

jonnyp11

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=551

beats the 3770k in 5 or 6 areas at over 100 dollars cheaper.

going by their price/performance chart the 3770k would be ~0.95 while the 8150 is ~1.06, and the 8350 is a bit more powerful for only 10 or 20 more and should be the same or better price/performance.

and why even compare them? compare it to the more equally priced i5-3570k which still costs 20 or 30 more. Now it wins in 12 of 37 and a good number of those are pretty close. And remember that the 8320 consts considerably less for a slight underclock that can easilly be corrected, or use the 30 or 40 or whatever to get a good cooler and now it's at 4.7GHz and beating the i5 in half those benches while still being 20 or 30 cheaper

Okedokey

The point is, if you're going to get a new motherboard, and cpu, the i5 2500k is slighting cheaper (on newegg) and better. Case closed.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Am3+ mobos are pretty cheap, a cheap 970 will be less then a cheap z77.
You also have the chance to upgrade later, since steamroller and maybe exavator gonna stay AM3+

StrangleHold

Staff member
They are the same price 219 bucks. But you can get a 8320 for 40 cheaper and its unlocked. With both unlocked the 8350 is kinda redundant.

jonnyp11

8350 and 2500k cost the same, 8320 can easilly match the 8350 and cost 40 less than either. And I will agree that the 2500k is better, but not 40 bucks better. Plus, Steamroller will be AM3+ and Excavator may also be, while Haswell is set for LGA1150 from what i'm seeing

Okedokey

The 2500K is significantly better option from a heat, performance, upgradability options, and you can probably get a a platform for cheaper overall. Its a stupid argument, AMD sucks at every level and to suggest that its somehow better is nonsense.

*edit*

On newegg, the motherboards and cpus cost the same (2500k and 8350), and the 2500k is better, by a significant margain in real world computing. Really a no-brainer.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its a stupid argument, AMD sucks at every level and to suggest that its somehow better is nonsense.

I got a FX 8120. Its overclocked to 4.6ghz. with only 1.375V. Paid 160 bucks for it. If its nonsence, tell me a Intel CPU for under (will give you a extra 40 bucks) 200 bucks that can beat it. Even a FX 6300 for 140 will overclock the same. What your saying for a CPU over 200 bucks is true. Your at any level is lacking common sense. Unless your just gullible for Intel fanboy sites.

The upgradeability is not true either. Looks like Haswell will be 1150 where Steamroller will still be AM3+

Okedokey

I got a FX 8120. Its overclocked to 4.6ghz. with only 1.375V. Paid 160 bucks for it. If its nonsence, tell me a Intel CPU for under (will give you a extra 40 bucks) 200 bucks that can beat it. Even a FX 6300 for 140 will overclock the same. What your saying for a CPU over 200 bucks is true. Your at any level is lacking common sense. Unless your just gullible for Intel fanboy sites.

The upgradeability is not true either. Looks like Haswell will be 1150 where Steamroller will still be AM3+

Thats nice mate, but completely not what we're talking about. Secondly, we have no idea what the future will bring, so right now, for the same 250 bucks you can get the 8350 or the 2500k, the later being much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.