AMD Motherboard Chipsets

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
When it comes to AMD motherboards, which is a better chipset to go with? nVidia or AMD?

djogoku

AMD will probably tell you to go with the 790. That way you could eventually have a Dragon Platform. AMD’s Dragon platform includes the Phenom II processor, new and revamped 790 series motherboards and Radeon HD4800 series graphics hardware. I actually wanted a Crosshair II Formula motherboard which has a Nvidia chipset for my Phenom II x4 955 I'm planning to buy but I'm not sure if that would be a good move based on what I've told you about the Dragon. So I would love some input on this question as well.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I'm just looking to upgrade my mobo/CPU/memory pretty soon so thats why I'm asking.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well if you want to run C/F or SLI you dont have much choice. If your only going to run a single card, I would still get a ATI/AMD chipset. From what I understand Nvidia is going dead in the motherboard chipset dept. anyway.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well if you want to run C/F or SLI you dont have much choice. If your only going to run a single card, I would still get a ATI/AMD chipset. From what I understand Nvidia is going dead in the motherboard chipset dept. anyway.

Which chipset would I be looking for that is pretty good?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Depends on what you want to spend, just look for solid caps and a good phase power setup. If your running a stand alone video card. A 770/790X or 790FX. If you want one with onboard video a 785 or 790GX. All with atleast a SB710/750

FairDoos

I posted a similer thread yesterday on Chipsets to be honest the best Chipsets on the market are the nVidia 790 or 780a or if you want AMD Chipset go with the 780FX or GX

nVidia Chipset is slightly faster in tests but AMD's is more stable and will be able to give more graphics power just depends what you want it for. Hope this helps:good:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I posted a similer thread yesterday on Chipsets to be honest the best Chipsets on the market are the nVidia 790 or 780a or if you want AMD Chipset go with the 780FX or GX

nVidia Chipset is slightly faster in tests but AMD's is more stable and will be able to give more graphics power just depends what you want it for. Hope this helps:good:

Those were old test using the ATI SB600.

Ethan3.14159

Nvidia chipsets are dead for AMD motherboards. I have a 780a motherboard. That was ridiculously hard to find here. The 980a is out, but again, hard to find. It's basically are carbon copy of the 780a anyway.

No it wasent it was showing you the results on the 780FX Vs. 790a

There is no such thing as the 790a. At least not on nvidia's website. As for the 780a vs. 790FX.... well, thanks to the SB750 it wipes the floor with the 780a.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Nvidia chipsets are dead for AMD motherboards. I have a 780a motherboard. That was ridiculously hard to find here. The 980a is out, but again, hard to find. It's basically are carbon copy of the 780a anyway.

There is no such thing as the 790a. At least not on nvidia's website. As for the 780a vs. 790FX.... well, thanks to the SB750 it wipes the floor with the 780a.

I've got a Machspeed MSNV-939 right now with the nForce4 chipset and it's really quite nice. I have a 5.1 card and an HD4870 so integrated graphics and audio don't matter to me.

StrangleHold

Staff member
No it wasent it was showing you the results on the 780FX Vs. 790a

First of all know what your talking about if you question me. I was talking about the (southbridge) SB600 is what the test was using. AMD uses the SB710 and 750 now. And its 780a and 790FX. Not the 780FX and 790a.

I've got a Machspeed MSNV-939 right now with the nForce4 chipset and it's really quite nice. I have a 5.1 card and an HD4870 so integrated graphics and audio don't matter to me.

In there time the nforce 2/3/4 and 570/590 were the best chipsets for a AMD.

FairDoos

First of all know what your talking about if you question me. I was talking about the (southbridge) SB600 is what the test was using. AMD uses the SB710 and 750 now. And its 780a and 790FX. Not the 780FX and 790a.

Hahaha go sick. Make yourself more clear next time then? And so what i got confused? Its not a life tragedy. Calm your rage.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeap, with socket A/754/939 and when AM2 first came out Nvidia chipsets were the way to go.

Seen a read this morning. Nvidia is going to stop making chipsets. Being pushed out by AMD and Nvidia. Then Nvidia said it wasnt true. But I bet it is, they cant make a Intel chipset and so far AMD has said no to them on there 32nm. Bulldozer.

Intel is releasing there own video card, going to shut nvidia out when that happens. And AMD sure aint going to let SLI run on a AMD chipset and is not going to let nvidia do Bulldozer chipsets.

So if they are going to keep making chipsets, I dont know who they would be for.:p I think they are just saying its untrue to keep the on hand chipset sales from falling through the floor.

FairDoos

Yeap, with socket A/754/939 and when AM2 first came out Nvidia chipsets were the way to go.

Seen a read this morning. Nvidia is going to stop making chipsets. Being pushed out by AMD and Nvidia. Then Nvidia said it wasnt true. But I bet it is, they cant make a Intel chipset and so far AMD has said no to them on there 32nm. Bulldozer.

Intel is releasing there own video card, going to shut nvidia out when that happens. And AMD sure aint going to let SLI run on a AMD chipset and is not going to let nvidia do Bulldozer chipsets.

So if they are going to keep making chipsets, I dont know who they would be for.:p I think they are just saying its untrue to keep the on hand chipset sales from falling through the floor.

Oo Sounds like an interesting read! Where did you read about it?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hahaha go sick. Make yourself more clear next time then? And so what i got confused? Its not a life tragedy. Calm your rage.

Saying it was a old test using the SB600 sounds pretty clear to me.

Oo Sounds like an interesting read! Where did you read about it?

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/8515-nvidia-to-stop-making-chipsets-/

http://ixbtlabs.com/news.html?10/84/48

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5763

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainbo...et_Business_Multi_GPU_SLI_Tech_in_Danger.html