AMD or Intel can't decide

Bodaggit23

They are comparable, but the Deneb uses more power.

Either would be fine, but you could use DDR3 with the
Phenom II, and you're stuck with DDR2 with the 9400.

LatinoHeat2007

Its just hard to choose and I don't really have a preference since this is my first build. A couple guys said I should try and run DDR3, so should I go for that rather than DDR2?

Bodaggit23

Its just hard to choose and I don't really have a preference since this is my first build. A couple guys said I should try and run DDR3, so should I go for that rather than DDR2?

The 945 is said to be a very good chip, and DDR3 is faster than DDR2.

Most would say, choose the AMD Quad and an AM2+ or AM3 board, with DDR3.

lawson_jl

Alot of people stress about Intel or AMD but fact is with all other thigns being equal thoses same people can't tell the differnce between two chips of the same speed. I just recently built a new system and went with an AMD cCPU since I could get a CPU of the same speed and a mobo with the same features as an Intel mobo/CPU for about $100 less.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have reccomended the Intel but with the way Intel are messing around with the sockets these days im not sure how long 775 will last.

i would go with the AMD this time,At least you know the AM3 socket will be around for some time:)

zer0_c00l

im gonna have to say go for AMD right now :D you know the saying " Once you go green and black you never go Back"

StrangleHold

Staff member
The AMD. With the Intel your buying a almost dead socket. But you do get 6 free issues of CPU magazine.

bomberboysk

AMD is the way to go, socket 775 is end of life for updates as far as new cpu's, so in the future if you wanna upgrade it means new mobo+cpu+memory, while with am3 the new cpu's will be backwards compatible.

Twist86

The 2nd gen P2 are comparable...personally I would go with AMD on this one.

The thing with Intel they keep changing sockets and doing stupid crap to that nature so its a costly upgrade each time. Where AMD actually tries to make their chips backwards compatible.

Example being the Phenom 2s can run on AM2 and AM3 boards. I also would have went AMD had the first gen phenoms not been so below the C2Q line at the time and I didn't get my chip so cheap.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I think AM3 socket will be around for awhile. It already supports up to HT 2600/5200, the fastest Phenoms only support 2000/4000 and DDR3 will be around for awhile.

Dont think they will change the socket much till they start going for a 8/12 core desktop CPUs. Maybe a desktop copy of the G34 socket.

Bodaggit23

The thing with Intel they keep changing sockets and doing stupid crap to that nature so its a costly upgrade each time. Where AMD actually tries to make their chips backwards compatible.
Say what you want, but Intel hasn't changed socket in quite a while, until the Nehalem platform.

Also, backward compatible will become a limitation at some point, so AMD will be forced to change sockets as well. Eventually.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Say what you want, but Intel hasn't changed socket in quite a while, until the Nehalem platform.

Thats sorta true, they were forced with a socket upgrade with i7 because of the memory controller and going QuickPath.

Just like what AMD had to do going from Socket 462 to 754, then 939 for Dual Channel, then AM2 for DDR2. One of the prices you pay for having a onboard memory controller.

Think what Intel people are pissing about is the i5 setup socket. Where right now with a quality AM2+ board they will run the first lowend AM2 Sempron all the way to the Phenom II 955 AM3 processor.

bomberboysk

I agree with this. Having a multiplier helps a lot with overclocking, and it's nice to know you have the highest binned chips.

Actually the black editions arent always the best chips, just like the extremes arent the highest binned intel chips. Some qx intel chips can clock super high, while some can barely clock to 4ghz or less.

Then what makes them extreme? Besides the price. lol

Cause when they were released they were the best I still remeber
Intel core2duo 2.66 GHZ being highest normal dualcore chip for 200+
and then comes along Intel extreme 2.93 999 bucks

they were pretty easily overclockable at that time but now i7 920 at 250 bucks beats the crap out of almost every extreme chip
correct me if i am wrong