AMD or Intel can't decide

fmw

The socket on your mainboard is immaterial. Processors are almost never upgraded. Choose whatever you like without worrying about the socket issue. Intels will be a little more powerful and more expensive. Intel to get the last scrap of peformance, AMD for better value. The decision is yours. Don't spend a minute worrying about sockets.

LatinoHeat2007

Ok well if I stick with the AMD processor I have picked out. What is a good, but reasonably priced mobo that is DDR3 and crossfire compatible?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My two cents is to go with AMD. AMD has really good bang for your buck and they are very good for gaming. They overclock very well. They're also good if you want to build a great system on a budget.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The socket on your mainboard is immaterial. Processors are almost never upgraded. Choose whatever you like without worrying about the socket issue. Don't spend a minute worrying about sockets.

Not good advice at all.

fmw

Not good advice at all.

Actually, it is extremely good advice. Worrying about sockets is bad advice. Buy a mainboard with the socket required to fit and run your processor. That's it. It couldn't be more simple. When you decide to upgrade your system in the future, the most important part of the upgrade will be the processor and mainboard together. Then you can match the socket and processor again. After all, they (processors and sockets) change fairly rapidly.

Upgrading processors on the same mainboard is actually very rare. The reason is that is doesn't often provide enough of an improvement in performance to make sense. Normally, a meaningful processor upgrade involves a different socket and mainboard as well. Taking Intel out of the decision making process because they are changing sockets with the new models is senseless. They have been changing sockets with new models since day one.

That is solid advice. Take it from a veteran with tens of thousands of builds and upgrades over 15 years.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Actually, it is extremely good advice. Worrying about sockets is bad advice. Buy a mainboard with the socket required to fit and run your processor. That's it. It couldn't be more simple. When you decide to upgrade your system in the future, the most important part of the upgrade will be the processor and mainboard together. Then you can match the socket and processor again. After all, they (processors and sockets) change fairly rapidly.

Upgrading processors on the same mainboard is actually very rare. The reason is that is doesn't often provide enough of an improvement in performance to make sense. Normally, a meaningful processor upgrade involves a different socket and mainboard as well. Taking Intel out of the decision making process because they are changing sockets with the new models is senseless. They have been changing sockets with new models since day one.

That is solid advice. Take it from a veteran with tens of thousands of builds and upgrades over 15 years.

Might sound good to a person standing in Best Buy from a sales person, or from a Geek Squad tech at someone house. But not here.

That last sentence. I am 50 years old and been doing it longer than 15 years. Thats just a attempt to validate bad advice.

bomberboysk

Thats bad advice, your trying to say that someone with a 680g amd socket AM2 board that one of my friends has and built nearly 2 years ago, with a 5000+ dual core, wont notice an improvement if they bought the Phenom II X4 955 that their motherboard supports? Thats why people buy certain motherboards, is for the backward compatibility of future processors. Take it from someone building rigs since the age of 7/8.

fmw

We just plain flat our disagree. I disagree with both of you completely, totally, thoroughly. Choosing a processor because of its socket is downright nuts. Period.

bomberboysk

We just plain flat our disagree. I disagree with both of you completely, totally, thoroughly. Choosing a processor because of its socket is downright nuts. Period.

What kinda socket/cpu do you have? For computers...upgradeability is key, lets say in 2 years have say a $200 upgrade budget, thats not gonna get you a good mobo+cpu, but it might get you a good cpu if your motherboard supports it.

Last edited:
If somenone buys a PC most of them want it to be futureproof so they buy a good config that will work for long right so if they worry about sockets which they can predict what will up and about 2 years from now and so worrying about sockets for 2years+ is pointless and even an upgrade will be limited to some processors which wont be a significant improvement on the old processors so no point worrying about sockets for long time user its always better to buy a new PC after few years of usage rather than upgrade well it depends to person to person Like I never like upgrading CPUs i have 1366 and even if intel continues the next time i feel my PC is not upto the mark I will buy a new PC which maybe a new socket or not but atleast it will have different PCI interface or 4 channel memory etc or processor embedded GPU chip

StrangleHold

Staff member

To start with, nobody said that they were choosing a processor depending on the socket. Its the other way around. You pick a socket depending on what processor you want. Dont start flip flopping.

Let me ask you something. If you were building a new computer with a Phenom II 955. Would you pick a AM2 or AM2+ or a AM3 board and all three bios support it, and why?

Mitch?

banned

Sir. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's stupid and we'll pick on you for it.

AMD has the AM3 platform, which will be accompanied by the AM3+ platform later. AM3+ upgrades are purely speculative right now, but 4x channel DDR3, full 4xPCIE2.0-16 slots, and pretty colors have been thought of.

Intel will have a possible 3 sockets in the next year or so. They'll have the high end (1366 currently), midrange (i5), and a low end (TBA). That means your processors will by restricted to the socket, and so if you have CPU X and need CPU Y to get smooth framerates, you'll have to get MOBO Y also. Maybe RAM Y too.

RavenPerch

Its never wise to use AMD cpu's for advanced uses, simply because of the fact that they cut down on prices by decreasing cache memory. This is an extremly critical component of a CPU. Look at intel. Its got a whopping 6mb cache and the amd has only a 2mb cache. Thats a colossal difference in performance.

Rawlaw

If u got the extra buck go on intel which has high quality. If not go on AMD because you can get a faster CPU then intel on a budget.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its never wise to use AMD cpu's for advanced uses, simply because of the fact that they cut down on prices by decreasing cache memory. This is an extremly critical component of a CPU. Look at intel. Its got a whopping 6mb cache and the amd has only a 2mb cache. Thats a colossal difference in performance.

What are you talking about? The Phenom II 945 has 2mb. of L2 and 6mb. of L3 for a total of 8mbs. And thats not counting it has twice the amount of L1 then Intel does.

zer0_c00l

i love fanboys. (if you can afford it) i can afford it and still go AMD :D Even when everyone else had a Q6600 :D Couldnt tell the differance useing my e8400 rig and my 5600+ rig(except benchmarks) no real world change even in the athlonx2 vs c2d days :D