Amd Processor

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay a few things. One, I've been noticing the lack of crisp performance in adobe photoshop cs. Like it take's the mouse a bit of a lag sometimes to do things. Also, there's some overall performance when just working with 4-5 things on xp at once, that is bugging me. I do lots at once, thats just the way I am. Typically, Im burning/ripping a cd, working on something on photoshop, on dreamweaver to edit my stuff, on firefox for emailing and aim for chatting etc.. all at the same time. I dont know how i do it, but it drives me crazy doing things one at a time. The performance is getting to me. What do i need to focus on, A faster processor, or some more ram? If processor, I need one still compatable with my motherboard (in signature). And, I dont want to go over the big one hundred dollar bill, well, lets make it the best possible AMD processor, for perhaps under 150$. This would make my life so much easier, thanks.

ZER0X

VIP Member
You could try getting a better CPU....but really if you have more RAM it stops things from lagging a total lot, when your burning/ripping something that uses a lot of memory and CPU power....just do a few things at a time even though you dont want to ;)

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay I'll narrow it down to just getting a processor, after all I am running 1gb of ram on dual channel, yet on a 1.8ghz processor (looks like its getting weighed uneven :/). So for a processor, what would you recommend under 130$ (somewhere around there) thats compatible with my motherboard..? Thanks -

TheChef

You can get the XP 3000+ (333fsb) on newegg for for 130 or go with a 400fsbfor 137. Thats pretty good upgrade from a 1.8 Ghz. You could continue using the Polo 735 and it would work just fine.

EMO-TOCROSS

Is upgrading to a XP 3000+ worth that money over my XP 2500+? also, suppose i bought that, what do you think my processor could go for on ebay? It's been used since august..

imjacktoo

Why don't u over clock that processor to 3000+ speed instead of buying one...

Raise that FSB up a little...ur multipliers are locked I gather, at 11.0 on a newer 2500 so all u can do is raise FSB.....Preator, don't u think he could get 200 FSB x 11.0...that puts u at 2.2GHz.....Raise that Vcore a little...Hes got the cooling...

ZER0X

VIP Member

If EMO-TOCROSS got a faster processor instead of overclocking it, it would take of the strain from it overclocked, also in future if he wanted to overclock the faster processor he can to much faster speeds. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
One reason could be that, as much as i love AMD, the AthlonXP is o-b-s-o-l-e-t-e :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
imjacktoo said:
Good point, so why buy another obsolete cpu.....

1. They are affordable.
2. They still work.
3. For the average user, like my mom or someone, her P3 is still too high-tech for her.

When you say "obsolete" you are comparing it to the LATEST and greatest technology. Compared to those yes, it's falling behind fast. But for the typical Dell buyer, or average user, the AthlonXP will meet all there expectations and then some. At least that's the way i see it. I'm stillhanging onto my rig when i go A64, and gonna use the parts to upgrade my GF's computer. For her, at 2.6GHz will be plenty fast enough until she starts video editing and things like that (she's beginning to start digital graphics, and wants to be a professional.)

imjacktoo

Yea, they won't be obsolete in my house for a long long time...Having too much fun trying to burn em up...Have extras in the wings just waiting for thier turn...HeHeHe

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. They are affordable.
2. They still work.
3. For the average user, like my mom or someone, her P3 is still too high-tech for her.
Athlon64s/P4E/Cs are affordable, offer much more performance in general (and definitely a longer lifespan).

When you say "obsolete" you are comparing it to the LATEST and greatest technology.
The AthlonXP is obsolete. The fact that AMD has officially capped the product line with plans to finish off the XP3000 and XP3200 soon is a definite guarantee of that.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Athlon64s/P4Cs are affordable, offer much more performance in general (and definitely a longer lifespan).

how are they affordable? sure you can get the most budget A64 system for around the price of a good A32 setup...but that's the cheapest i would imagine. with $400 you aren't gonna get much of an A64 setup. you are right they offer lots of performance...but it's overkill for alot of people. my mom can't even use her 900MHz computer to it's full capacity. check e-mail, recipes, do bills...what in there would benefit from A64? it's going to be years b4 she even decides to get a faster computer (unless hers fries.) AMD might set the marketing standards of "obsolete" hardware, but that doesn't mean the customer moves just as fast as they do.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
P4
MOBO - ASUS P5P800 ($105CAD)
CPU - Intel Pentium4-520 ($195CAD)
RAM - Kingmax 256MB ($50CAD)
OPTICAL - LiteOn 52x32x52x16 ($50CAD)
HDD - Maxtor 80GB ($60CAD)
VIDEO - MSI GeForceFX5200 ($60CAD)
CASE+PSU - Some case and 400W Enermax ($30CAD)
Net Cost - $555CAD ($460USD)

AMD64
MOBO - ASUS K8V8X-X ($100CAD)
CPU - Newcastle2800+ ($195CAD)
RAM - Kingmax 256MB ($50CAD)
OPTICAL - LiteOn 52x32x52x16 ($50CAD)
HDD - Maxtor 80GB ($60CAD)
VIDEO - MSI GeForceFX5200 ($60CAD)
CASE+PSU - Some case and 400W Enermax ($30CAD)
Net Cost - $550CAD ($460USD)

AMD might set the marketing standards of "obsolete" hardware
Obsolete:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=obsolete ... in the case of AMD they've shelved all but two of the AthlonXPs with the remainder to be ko'd prolly by exmas ... that makes the AthlonXP line obsolete (much to my dismay)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Both pc's are $60 over the estimated budget. (i'm being picky cuz i started of with exactly $400 for my first rig) running 256mb of ram?that hardly seems enough. and that's what...PC2700? $30 for a case and a 400watt enermax...i couldn't find one that cheap. i did find an offbrand cheapy case with a 400watter PSU...but i used it in my gf's rig and the PSU sparks...not a good buy. i wouldn't run a new A64 setup with the risk of the PSU exploding on it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Both pc's are $60 over the estimated budget. (i'm being picky cuz I started of with exactly $400 for my first rig)
Fair enough. You and I both know the system I specd there is far from a baseline budget system. I can open a store flyer and find Athlon64s/P4Es for $500CAD all the time -- which is a pretty damn good indicator that you can build one yourself for under400 no problem. Realize that I too started with a limited budget when i bought my original system (august 26 2002), XP2100, 512MB PC2700, ASUS A7V333, MSI GF4Ti4400-128TVD, Audigy, ASUS 522452, Antec 350W, Case -- $871.16 and for the exchange rate then $670USD -- and thats including a 15% tax -- its NOT that hard to find a budget system. Also note that you said ESTIMATED budget.

running 256mb of ram?that hardly seems enough.
Hardly enough for what? And if I were to sock the mem to 512MB you're complaint would be the video subsystem -- gotta pick what you want -- cant have everything for $400.

and that's what...PC2700?
No its PC3200. 2.5-3-3-7

$30 for a case and a 400watt enermax...i couldn't find one that cheap.
Well im staring at one in the face.

And while we're on the subject of numbers, what did you end up getting for $400? :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
And while we're on the subject of numbers, what did you end up getting for $400? :)

Well this was about 2 yrs. ago..so prices were higher. but i got...

AMD 2400+ desktop
Enermax case and PSU
Soyo kt333 dragon ultra patinum edition
k-byte 512MB PC-3200
MAddog nvidia geforce4 64mb *
Muse sound card *
Hitachi 40GB drive *

* = bought used/from firend/discounted

some were from firends, and i had a coupon at the time for the sound card...it was like %50 off or something. i think that's all i got...

im not meaning to be argumentative. just IMO it wouldn't be worth cheaping on an A64 rig when you could get a "decent" A32 rig for the same price.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
im not meaning to be argumentative. just IMO it wouldn't be worth cheaping on an A64 rig when you could get a "decent" A32 rig for the same price.
LOL no worries man.. its good to be "argumentative" because:
1. Just cuz im the admin doesnt mean im always right
2. It keeps me on my toes

As for the product selection, I'll never fully argue against an AthlonXP platform (now the Sempron) for uber-low budgets because I know that is the only feasible route. My proposals for the P4 and A64 are mostly "proof of concept" type of things again because its just not feasible to cap those more powerful procs with low mem and crummy video cards. What it DOES show however is that it IS possible to build a fairly powerful system easily under $1000USD :) Looking at both system, jacking the memory to 1GB would incurr a $150CAD pricetag and upping the videocard to a 5700LE would add a $60CAD cost so really, to get a decent gaming rig would cost roughly $760CAD ($630USD) -- not a whole lot really when you stop and think about it :)