Amd Wins. Intel Gets Destroyed

Geoff

VIP Member
Wow! intel got owned! I was thinking about getting a Pentium D but not anymore, seeing that AMD is even better at video! Thanks for that link

bigsaucybob

its really surprising that no longer am i goin to reccomend intel for multitasking and amd for gaming. its AMD all the way

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
AMD may have scored better (they currently have a better desktop CPU, that can't really be argued) but some of the tests are a bit silly. Since when do you consider an 'Office Productivity' test a show stopper? With all of 50 points (however a point is scored in 'SysMark 2004 office productivity rating') between roughly an $800 chip (X2 4800) and a $240 chip (PD 820) I don't care who scored higher the winner is the 820. What's the worst thing that happens without those 50 points? Do you suddenly type slower?
"Damn I'm 50 points short of my max productivity, stupid management wouldn't buy me the best hardware"
MP3 Encoding with iTunes? Honestly, who uses iTunes as a benchmark utility? Certainly not someone wanting performance...
Also how do they just performance on a scale of 7.5 to 10? I don't see how it can be from the tests they ran because since there was 7 and the 820 was last for each one it would make sense for it to score 7 but they have it somewhere around 7.75.

The results should have been expected but shouldn't really influence your decision. An 820 in the office still makes more sense than an X2 3800.

sbeast64

I see your point, buy the band the price performance page shows it all, amd are much better for what your paying. They also proved more capable at the more intensive tasks, gaming ,editing.
Im just glad I'm choosing the Amd route,even if it is an athlon 64 bit 2800 :D

CmoAMD

hypojam said:
Intel Sucks

NICE STATS TO PROVE IT! AWESOME!!

Anyway... yea man Intel even got beat on day-to-day, this boosts AMD out of "gamer only" mode to "all around".

super_xero

wow that verry amazing even in the video ecoding scored intel lost wow i was gona get a pc for christmass and wanted to do a lot of video editing that you cnet :)

See i said b4, intel rushed on the production of the dual core, and theyre hurtin now on benches and stuff..i dotn think itll affect sales all that much though

34erd

I'll always have faith in Intel... I mean c'mon Intel, you cant let that underdog AMD win over you guys :eek:

Intel will come back with Conroe, you'll see, you'll all see!!! MUAHAAAHAAAH!!!!!

Yes I know I'm using an AMD right now, but this is just temporary :rolleyes: ...

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Cromewell said:
Since when do you consider an 'Office Productivity' test a show stopper? With all of 50 points (however a point is scored in 'SysMark 2004 office productivity rating') between roughly an $800 chip (X2 4800) and a $240 chip (PD 820) I don't care who scored higher the winner is the 820. What's the worst thing that happens without those 50 points? Do you suddenly type slower?
"Damn I'm 50 points short of my max productivity, stupid management wouldn't buy me the best hardware"
MP3 Encoding with iTunes? Honestly, who uses iTunes as a benchmark utility? Certainly not someone wanting performance...

lol very good point, but then again, why would a company buy any dualcore chips for word processing, emailing and maybe some exel? I think a normal P4 or amd sempron/64 would do that trick.

Geoff

VIP Member
liuliuboy said:
lol very good point, but then again, why would a company buy any dualcore chips for word processing, emailing and maybe some exel? I think a normal P4 or amd sempron/64 would do that trick.

hell a celeron 1.5Ghz can do that!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed but companies don't build those systems themselves, they goto Dell or IBM and the like. Because of this, they can't exactly get old hardware like that and if Dell is currently selling PDs then that's what they buy.
That is just sale of chips at places like newegg, it doesn't measure OEM sales.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'm just waiting till there both running in 64bit on a 64bit OS, a 64bit program and see how the numbers stack up!
Like to know somebody that has a Athlon64 that got the Beta Vista 64 and see how well these Athlon64 ratings scale held up in 64bit

SD_Ryoko

super_xero said:
wow that verry amazing even in the video ecoding scored intel lost wow i was gona get a pc for christmass and wanted to do a lot of video editing that you cnet :)

Thats a laugh.

Look how much the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 won over the 820.

Not a whole lot.

The difference? $600.

Who buys your comps? I buy my own. Thats MY 600, I'm keeping it :D

And I got Pentium D for digital video editing and ripping. Takes its toll on the comp.

liuliuboy said:

Most of our machines run CAD. Not common, but its one example of why.

Plus word, thunderbird, internet, and all the bells and whistles in the background.

Not to mention, NONE of our CAD platforms (we have three) are compatable with AMD. You can make one compatable with a series of third party patches and software upgrades.

Now to mention, I only get about $3k a system when I buy new ones at work, and half that is monitor and usually $900 for the video card.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Price is all that matters for me, I go wih what I can afford. An Opteron 144 might not be able to run with the top dogs, but it sure as hell isn't an "office computer" and I don't do any video/photo editing, CAD, mp3 ripping, or crazy stuff like that. I game, e-mail, chat, surf, work on my machines. AMD wins in my book any day, they are affordable and great performers for budget minded people like me, along with high rollers that can afford $800+ procesors.

kof2000

my next upgrade is still going to be an intel as i wanted to take advantage of DDR2 for now anyways. i do have an AMD lappy and like it alot but for desktop i'll still stick with an intel. i do game but not alot to warrant and amd cpu.