Another rig, for a student/gamer

NinjaYeti

well I would be using a 120 monitor sometimes since thats what you need the mess around with 3d.. but what would the next step up in cpu wise then the one you suggested jonny?

mihir

VIP Member
well I would be using a 120 monitor sometimes since thats what you need the mess around with 3d.. but what would the next step up in cpu wise then the one you suggested jonny?
Even the GTX 570 can handle 3D. :D

And as for processor for gaming the Intel Core i7 2600k has no match (given that price is no bar),
but for applications which use multiple cores the Intel Core i7 980x is there but the Core i7 2600k comes really close second and also the i7 980x is worth a lot lot more than the i7 2600k.

NinjaYeti

so in other words not worth it unless I want to pay a lot more, and what would be better a 570 or 580 with a 120hz monitor?

jonnyp11

nothing really, unless you want to pay the 750 buck pricetag for that 590 or 6990, or even better would be the 3gb asus gtx580x2, which costs 1500, those would all be better but not near worth it.

NinjaYeti

Just got 1 more question, I got most of the parts jonny recommended, is the 950w power supply enough, and can you recommend a blu-ray player too? I don't have any blu-rays but I figured if I got a 3d graphics card I might as well have the option to watch the blu-ray 3d movies from the comp =/

Thanks guys you've really been a lot of help :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
This thread is all over the place. What video card did you decide on? And do you want a Blu ray rom or burner?

NinjaYeti

I know lol, I decided on the 580 anyways, and only a rom, unless the price difference isnt to big, then I might just get one to have one =/ might use it once in a while, or in the future idk.

NinjaYeti

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

These are in my "shopping cart" I havn't bought anything yet, Im still deciding on a blu-ray rom/burner, and a case.. it comes out to something like 1670 without the case, rom, and monitor, but I never really included the monitor to begin with so idk, the threads 6 pages so I figured those where the best for what I want to do? Any suggestions on other parts? Im not TRYING to spend all my money but I do have a little extra if theres anything worth it.

all the links are on page 1, thanks :p

jonnyp11

you will need a normal dvd drive too to install the os, which the cases almost all have combos with the os so do that, if you'd like to save money go down to like a 650w psu and you shouldn't need more than 12gb's ram max, 8 should be plenty but for the stuff you want 1 might be a little better i guess.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I know lol, I decided on the 580 anyways, and only a rom, unless the price difference isnt to big, then I might just get one to have one =/ might use it once in a while, or in the future idk.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply

These are in my "shopping cart" I havn't bought anything yet, Im still deciding on a blu-ray rom/burner, and a case.. it comes out to something like 1670 without the case, rom, and monitor, but I never really included the monitor to begin with so idk, the threads 6 pages so I figured those where the best for what I want to do? Any suggestions on other parts? Im not TRYING to spend all my money but I do have a little extra if theres anything worth it.

all the links are on page 1, thanks :p

Where are you getting the parts? And are you planning on running SLI.

you will need a normal dvd drive too to install the os, which the cases almost all have combos with the os so do that, if you'd like to save money go down to like a 650w psu and you shouldn't need more than 12gb's ram max, 8 should be plenty but for the stuff you want 1 might be a little better i guess.

blue ray drives also play dvds and cds, just sayin lol

NinjaYeti

ok, im at about 1500, though my budget is around 2500, I assume I don't need to spend that much to get what I want? If its fine with gaming is there a cpu upgrade that would boost my modeling/animation renderings and what not? I'm just looking at performance over budget, id rather go a little over my estimated budget and not have to wait for renders, or heavy modeling scenes slow me down, than trying to save money and find out later in the year that saving that money is going to end up costing me time, to wait for renders or what not.

Idk maybe im looking at this wrong or trying to get ahead of myself by going over the top, im not sure. This isn't my first build but its been a long while, so maybe my budgets bigger than my needs =/

Anyways thanks for all your help guys

mihir

VIP Member

+1

And for HSF - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049

And TIM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154012

ok, im at about 1500, though my budget is around 2500, I assume I don't need to spend that much to get what I want? If its fine with gaming is there a cpu upgrade that would boost my modeling/animation renderings and what not? I'm just looking at performance over budget, id rather go a little over my estimated budget and not have to wait for renders, or heavy modeling scenes slow me down, than trying to save money and find out later in the year that saving that money is going to end up costing me time, to wait for renders or what not.

Idk maybe im looking at this wrong or trying to get ahead of myself by going over the top, im not sure. This isn't my first build but its been a long while, so maybe my budgets bigger than my needs =/

Anyways thanks for all your help guys
Overclocking will help. :D