Antec 900, OCZ PSU, and WC

tuxify

Nah...at that point, the setup gets pretty complicated. Up to you, though. :)

Yeah, I guess the more tubes I use, the better the chance of a leak. If I have a big problem with keeping those parts cool, I'll think about it, but for now (not really not, but my future plans) I'll stick to radiator, reservoir, pump, CPU, and GPU.

Wow... that looks like it would work, would look good too.

If that would work, it would change my thoughts about the antec 900 :p

lol, too bad we'll have to wait until January (if I ever get my current PC sold) for me to try it.

Still waiting on the PSU question, may have to have a post set only about the PSU.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yeah, I guess the more tubes I use, the better the chance of a leak. If I have a big problem with keeping those parts cool, I'll think about it, but for now (not really not, but my future plans) I'll stick to radiator, reservoir, pump, CPU, and GPU.

lol, too bad we'll have to wait until January (if I ever get my current PC sold) for me to try it.

Still waiting on the PSU question, may have to have a post set only about the PSU.

The gamexstream has a neon fan and has more connectors. But for the price im sure the stealthxstream would be fine. I think the gamexstream might be made with more durable parts

But i don't know what EPS12V is, Ceewi1 should know :D

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I've read that you need two radiators to support the NB/RAM configuration. You know, in addition to the CPU/GPU. Keep researching. :)

tuxify

The gamexstream has a neon fan and has more connectors. But for the price im sure the stealthxstream would be fine. I think the gamexstream might be made with more durable parts

But i don't know what EPS12V is, Ceewi1 should know :D

Plus, the StealthXStream is $20 cheaper, has a +$5 MIR, and free shipping. I guess we should wait until Ceewi1 checks it out. Should I PM him to check this thread?

I've read that you need two radiators to support the NB/RAM configuration. You know, in addition to the CPU/GPU. Keep researching. :)

Well I'll do the research if I have a problem with NB/RAM cooling.

tuxify

*Sigh* me too. Too bad I can't start it until a) I get my new build and b) get enough cash for WC. Could be next summer :(

taylormsj

tuxify, just a little tip, its spelt Athlon not Athalon when listing on ebay, you moght not get as many people looking for athalons :)
good luck with acution

tuxify

tuxify, just a little tip, its spelt Athlon not Athalon when listing on ebay, you moght not get as many people looking for athalons :)
good luck with acution

Omg... Thank you so much for pointing this out. I totally wouldnt've noticed this. I owe you one.

ceewi1

VIP Member
EPS12V refers to the presence of an 8pin CPU power connector, which is used on quite a few highend motherboards. Don't look at the ATX/EPS compatibility section on a newegg listing, it's not useful. Instead look at the Connectors section - something with a 4+4 or 4/8pin (or, at the higher end 4pin + 8pin) 12V connector is preferable, as such a PSU is well suited irrespective of whether your board uses a 4pin CPU connector or an 8pin CPU connector.

The GameXStream and the StealthXStream are very, very similar units, both based on the same FSP Epsilon platform. The differences basically come down to:
  • Fewer connectors on the StealthXStream
  • Different +12V regulators
  • A quieter fan on the StealthXStream, which also moves less air

Of the two, I consider the StealthXStream to be the better value unit. The GameXStream 600W really isn't well priced, there are a lot of better units available for the money (the GameXStream 700W is the same price after rebate, for example).

You may have seen my list of recommendations at http://www.computerforum.com/90117-ceewi1s-psu-recommendations.html. The Corsair VX550 or anything listed after it will be fine for your system, and I'd easily take that unit over a StealthXStream 600W. The Coolermaster and better yet Etasis 750W units listed there are, IMO, much better in terms of quality and value than the GameXStream 600W/700W.

tuxify

Thanks for the reply. I have the Corsair 520W, which I assume is only a little bit lower than the VX550. I am looking for a quiet PSU, because that will probably be the loudest thing in my computer. It also needs to be able to support the 8800GTS, which I'm sure all those you pointed out will. Since the corsair VX550 is one of the cheapest you suggested, and I really like the one I have now, that would probably be the one I pick. Thanks!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
The gamextreme puts out 50a as does the corsair 620w. The reason i got mine was with a promo wich made it $99 :D

i agree with ceewi, if your not doing and SLI or anything i would get another corsair 520w like you have now... and its modular, the GameXStream has hella lots of cables

ceewi1

VIP Member
If you hadn't already listed the system for sale, I would have suggested keeping the HX520 you have, and putting selling your system with a cheaper PSU :D.

There's not much difference between the VX550 and HX520 from a quality/power output point of view, the main advantage of the HX series is the very nice modular cabling. The VX550 has a much more attractive pricetag, though.

tuxify

Yeah, plus the Antec Nine Hundred is pretty small...
Problem with picking out products now, is that in January, there will be new, better products out. I guess I should pick everything out, and if I find something better, swap it out until the Q9645 comes out, when I'll buy my rig.
The 520HX then?

ceewi1

VIP Member
Both the HX520 and VX550 are great PSUs, and I would say roughly equivalent in quality. The main difference is that the HX520 is modular - you can take out whichever cables you don't want. On the downside, it's ~$30 more expensive.

The real question is whether or not this feature is worth $30 to you. If so, go for the HX520. If not, stick with the VX550.