Applying thermal paste to i7 920

lubo4444

Ok i finally have everything i need to apply new thermal paste on my CPU. I did watch few youtube videos to see how people do it but i see many different ways. Some people i see they either applied a small drop like a grain of rice at the center and then they installed the heatsink. Others did like a line and then with some kind of plastic they applied it evenly on the whole surface. So there are probably other ways but those are the most common that i saw. So my last questions are:

1. What is the most effective way on applying Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to intel i7 920 CPU?
2. Also I'll be using isopropyl alcohol (either 91% or 99%) to clean the old thermal paste. What kind of towel can i use to apply the isopropyl alcohol on and clean it?

That's all i need to know and hopefully i'll be good to go. :)

mihir

VIP Member
Ok i finally have everything i need to apply new thermal paste on my CPU. I did watch few youtube videos to see how people do it but i see many different ways. Some people i see they either applied a small drop like a grain of rice at the center and then they installed the heatsink. Others did like a line and then with some kind of plastic they applied it evenly on the whole surface. So there are probably other ways but those are the most common that i saw. So my last questions are:

1. What is the most effective way on applying Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to intel i7 920 CPU?
2. Also I'll be using isopropyl alcohol (either 91% or 99%) to clean the old thermal paste. What kind of towel can i use to apply the isopropyl alcohol on and clean it?

It depends on you,whether you think you can spread a layer which is uniform enough.
Like I prefer the rice grain drop method.
Use anti-static smooth cloth.
I have used tissues and they worked well.

lubo4444

It depends on you,whether you think you can spread a layer which is uniform enough.
Like I prefer the rice grain drop method.
Use anti-static smooth cloth.
I have used tissues and they worked well.

I'll give it a try. Thank you. :)

Spreading out the thermal paste is the inproper way of doing it. A small rice grain size of paste in the center of the cpu and a little twisting action when placing the heatsink ontop is the best method. When you spread the paste it allows for air pockets to form. When you allow the paste to spread itself it allows the air to be pushed out to the sides.

lubo4444

Spreading out the thermal paste is the inproper way of doing it. A small rice grain size of paste in the center of the cpu and a little twisting action when placing the heatsink ontop is the best method. When you spread the paste it allows for air pockets to form. When you allow the paste to spread itself it allows the air to be pushed out to the sides.

Thank you a lot for explaining it with details. :)

Thank you a lot for explaining it with details. :)

Np, if you are anal about it like me, I do a test fit first. I place it on and see how well it spreads out. I then clean everything and reapply with the now proper amount of paste to cover the cpu die entirely without excess runoff.

lubo4444

Np, if you are anal about it like me, I do a test fit first. I place it on and see how well it spreads out. I then clean everything and reapply with the now proper amount of paste to cover the cpu die entirely without excess runoff.

Yeah i can try that. :)

Motox20

Try coffee filters when cleaning off the old thermal paste, they work great and are lint free so no worries about leaving behind any pieces of lint or paper.

I prefer the grain of rice and install method as well. Trying to spread the paste is a pain in the rear and can cause more problems.

Last edited:

Motox20

Lol that list is ridiculous. If you use my method it was always be the correct amount with the proper spread. With my method more of the processor is coated then the oval shape they suggest.

I have to say I agree, there is always a "correct" way listed by a manufacturer but that doesn't mean other methods are wrong. I've lost count of how many times I've done this, on comps and Xbox 360's and it's never caused me any problems.

Side note, using coffee filters as I suggested is actually listed in Artic Silver 5's instructions.

Okedokey

Lol that list is ridiculous. If you use my method it was always be the correct amount with the proper spread. With my method more of the processor is coated then the oval shape they suggest.

The heatblock is coated then you put the line method over the actual core, have seen a cpu without the cover? Its concentrated in the middle.

Last edited:

hankweed

To clean of the paste what really works is Dip a Q tip in Isoprophyl alcohol and use that to clean your CPU. To clean all of it off it usually takes A LOT of Q tips but it does the job really well and Q tips are cheap. And to apply it just put a drop in the middle.

The heatblock is coated then you put the line method over the actual core, have seen a cpu without the cover? Its concentrated in the middle.

So please tell me what happens when there is thermal paste over an area that doesn't have a core? Now please tell what happens if there isn't any thermal paste over an area that has a core?

Lets agree to disagree here. You continue to have to reference a chart everytime you need to apply thermal paste and I will continue using my tried and true method that works on all CPU's all the time.

Intel_man

VIP Member
It clearly states NOT to spread it. I would go with that given thats all they do - produce tim.

There is nothing from that list that states NOT to spread it.

Do people ever read? I mean... this few sentences are on the top of the page for christ's sake.

There are only four application methods we suggest for Intel® CPU at this time. Look down the list of processors until you locate your processor type. Once you find it, choose the seggested application method on the right.

Okedokey

So please tell me what happens when there is thermal paste over an area that doesn't have a core? Now please tell what happens if there isn't any thermal paste over an area that has a core?

Lets agree to disagree here. You continue to have to reference a chart everytime you need to apply thermal paste and I will continue using my tried and true method that works on all CPU's all the time.

I will continue to reference the people that have tested, tried and manufactured the Arctic Silver 5 on that cpu rather than you.

There is nothing from that list that states NOT to spread it.

Do people ever read? I mean... this few sentences are on the top of the page for christ's sake.

Have either of you read the instructions? Clearly not.

Do NOT spread the line of thermal compound out
(page 5) do you read? And btw, i didn't capitalise the "not" they did. This applies to all i7 chips.

Further more (page 6):

Allowing the mounted heatsink to spread the thermal compound insures proper coverage of the metal cap, minimizes air bubbles and allows an optimum bond
line between the two surfaces.

I will say again, there is a correct way and an incorrect way to apply tim. This has to do with where the thermal intensity is for each cpu as shown in QP2 - 4 in the instructions supplied.

Last edited:

lubo4444

I'm not going to lie but when i first bought my computer, the person who installed all the parts he did exactly as Thermal-Reactor said, and my temperatures were in the 30-32 C, which seems to be pretty good. I did not know that if you remove the heatsink you have to apply thermal paste again and my temperatures now are in the 39-44 C. So i guess his way works too and i guess the instructions on the website are correct too. It all depends on which way you do it. I'll keep checking this thread to see if anyone posts any other reason why you should use one method over the other but i think i understand it now.

Also for the other users that pointed out, yes i'll use coffee filters with isopropyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste. I do have many coffee filters at my house and that would help me.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Yes everytime you remove the HSF you need to re-apply the HSF, because if you don't it will cause formation of air bubbles and air is a bad conductor of heat. :D