Applying thermal paste to i7 920

linkin

VIP Member
I just applied fresh paste to my new GTS 450, it was idling in the 40's and getting really hot, like 80c under load.

It had the standard stock thermal paste application from the factory, big square of paste with dimples. God knows why they do it that way. Pic:

450paste.png

Cleaned it off and applied a booger-amount (for easily recognisable comparison!) of AS5 on the die (open die) and put the thing back together. Idles at 25c and loads at 68c

Last edited:

lubo4444

I just applied fresh paste to my new GTS 450, it was idling in the 40's and getting really hot, like 80c under load.

It had the standard stock thermal paste application from the factory, big square of paste with dimples. God knows why they do it that way. Pic:

Cleaned it off and applied a booger-amount (for easily recognisable comparison!) of AS5 on the die (open die) and put the thing back together. Idles at 25c and loads at 68c

For some reason i'm confused. Where exactly do you apply the thermal paste? I read somewhere you have to apply it on 4-5 different places. :confused:

linkin

VIP Member
For some reason i'm confused. Where exactly do you apply the thermal paste? I read somewhere you have to apply it on 4-5 different places. :confused:

Just on the GPU die for this card, as the MOSFETS have no additional cooling. Higher end cards either have a separate heatsink or are cooled with one big heatsink or heatblock/spreader plus thermal pads.

the picture is when I took off the cooler, just to show the old crappy paste.

lubo4444

Just on the GPU die for this card, as the MOSFETS have no additional cooling. Higher end cards either have a separate heatsink or are cooled with one big heatsink or heatblock/spreader plus thermal pads.

the picture is when I took off the cooler, just to show the old crappy paste.

Are you referring to your card or my card? I'm new to all this and sorry for the retarded questions. :)