April 8,2014...farewell Windows XP...you have been with us for a long time...farewell

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I don't know if it will last 13 years (that'll be 2022), but I think it will certainly still be a very popular OS over the coming years. It's taken off quite well in the business world - much better than Vista did and 8 has.

Yea that's true.

Who knows...maybe Windows 9 will be even better than Windows 7 was. :rolleyes:

But I honestly don't think that Microsoft will ever make an OS which will be used for so many years like XP was and STILL IS!!!

But we'll see...only the time will show...
For now Windows 7 "should" be alive for a long time like XP was AND STILL IS.
Windows 7 might be a replacement for XP in the future.

We'll see I guess...

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Microsoft Windows XP - Goodbye my old and forever friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap I just realized!

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF MICROSOFT SUPPORTING WINDOWS XP!!! :(

Today on midnight we must all get drunk and celebrate this lol! :D

Right now I am sitting in my office and writing this...looking through the windows from my chair...the sky is clear...sun is strong...air is warm...what a nice last day for Windows XP to breath for it's last time...
Goodbye XP...you have been a good friend...

I want you all to throw 1 picture which according to YOU will decently say GOODBYE TO XP on it's last day of life.Here is mine:
windows01-2008-life-without-walls.jpg

And here is a song I chose for the last day of Windows XP's life:
[UT]wtr--EJKAZE[/UT]

CHEERS WINDOWS XP!!!

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
IF SOMEBODY NEEDS XP SUPPORT FROM MICROSOFT YOU BETTER CALL THEM RIGHT NOW BECAUSE MIDNIGHT IS CLOSE!!! :D

Just few more hours!!!

YAY!!! :D

spirit

Staff member
Well I booted up my VM of XP today and I've got messages coming up left right and centre (literally) telling me I need to upgrade.

Microsoft Security Essentials in particular is really going crazy!

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
This is actually a big deal in the business world, since dropping support for it means XP is no longer PCI compliant. All of our customers are having to upgrade the hardware we've sold them, which is good for business, I suppose.

spirit

Staff member
This is actually a big deal in the business world, since dropping support for it means XP is no longer PCI compliant. All of our customers are having to upgrade the hardware we've sold them, which is good for business, I suppose.

It is good for those selling companies new hardware. My father's in the industry and sold 18 new HP desktops with Windows 7 on them to a local business last week. These new desktops replaced old XP machines. They've also got a new server with Windows 2012 R2 on it coming their way. This is all money they're spending on upgrading (and over the past 2 years or so he's done the same with loads of other clients like them).

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Well I booted up my VM of XP today and I've got messages coming up left right and centre (literally) telling me I need to upgrade.

Is that message from MSE or from XP OS itself?
I suppose it's from MSE latest updates...
Kinda hard to believe that it's from XP OS itself because if it is then it would mean Microsoft has programmed XP to show this message on April 8,2014. lol.Like all the way back in 2001. when XP was released they KNEW that this is going to be the DATE when they will fully stop the support lol. :D

Maaaaaaan...this is going to be a crazy night.

One thing is for sure!

I am not sleeping tonight! ^.^

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Haha. We sell our equipment to retail businesses like grocery stores and liquor stores. So, they have to upgrade all of their cashier terminals, back office work stations, hand held terminals, etc.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Kinda hard to believe that it's from XP OS itself because if it is then it would mean Microsoft has programmed XP to show this message on April 8,2014. lol.Like all the way back in 2001. when XP was released they KNEW that this is going to be the DATE when they will fully stop the support lol. :D

Or any number of Windows Updates could have altered that message.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Haha. We sell our equipment to retail businesses like grocery stores and liquor stores. So, they have to upgrade all of their cashier terminals, back office work stations, hand held terminals, etc.

Well they don't have to upgrade their OS...
Why would they care if Microsoft won't support it anymore?

Damn you Microsoft!
This is exactly why I don't install all the updates as soon as they come out!

ROFL I bet that today in midnight on exactly 00:00:00 (hours:minutes:seconds) all the XP machines will turn off automatically.I bet Microsoft has done something like that in their last update(s). :D
That would be just crazy! :rolleyes:

claptonman

Microsoft Security Essentials in particular is really going crazy!

Avast! says they'll have another 3 years of support for XP, so that's what I'm moving to for my VM.

spirit

Staff member
The little one in the centre of the screen is from XP, yes, and the one in the bottom right corner is from MSE.

However, Troncoso is right in saying:

I installed an update on my VM tonight, rebooted, then when I booted back up, bam, that little message was there. It was clearly a Windows Update. Apparently it's going to show up on the 8th of every month too - including tomorrow I presume.

Avast! says they'll have another 3 years of support for XP, so that's what I'm moving to for my VM.

Yeah I just installed MSE on this VM last night because Dad came home from work and told me that a client's machine with XP and MSE was producing these messages and I was intrigued. :)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
The little one in the centre of the screen is from XP, yes, and the one in the bottom right corner is from MSE.

However, Troncoso is right in saying:

I installed an update on my VM tonight, rebooted, then when I booted back up, bam, that little message was there. It was clearly a Windows Update. Apparently it's going to show up on the 8th of every month too - including tomorrow I presume.

Yeah I just installed MSE on this VM last night because Dad came home from work and told me that a client's machine with XP and MSE was producing these messages and I was intrigued. :)

Ohh man this is getting crazier and crazier and crazier!!! :D:D:D

Anyway:

LESS THAN 3 HOURS LEFT!!!

Keep us updated with all the XP messages you are getting tonight! :p

Crap I am so nervous I can't calm down lmao!!

And showing that message every single month is crazy Spirit!
Microsoft is nuts ROFLMAO!!!

spirit

Staff member
Keep us updated with all the XP messages you are getting tonight! :p

And showing that message every single month is crazy Spirit!
Microsoft is nuts ROFLMAO!!!

Yeah looks like they're getting proper serious about this now. Just did a Windows Update and rebooted, to be greeted by this:

(Totally not written in C# by me...)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Yeah looks like they're getting proper serious about this now. Just did a Windows Update and rebooted, to be greeted by this:

(Totally not written in C# by me...)

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("We have changed our mind.XP support will be extended until 2024.","Microsoft Corporation");

:D:D:D

Geoff

VIP Member
It's really not that big of a deal... They haven't had Windows Update support for quite some time, it's not like all of a sudden the world is ending.