April 8,2014...farewell Windows XP...you have been with us for a long time...farewell

Tuffie

Dutch government pays millions to extend Microsoft XP support
http://www.zdnet.com/dutch-government-pays-millions-to-extend-microsoft-xp-support-7000028116/

UK government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/07/uk-government-microsoft-windows-xp-public-sector

I bet Microsoft is thinking they should have done it earlier.. Now what about the smaller companies who can't afford to make agreements with Microsoft such as this? If the work has already been done in supporting these goverments, why not offer a pay-to-delay solution on a pro rata basis to everyone?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Time: 00:00:00 | Date: April,8 2014. | Goodbye Microsoft Windows XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my dear people...the time has come...

Right now it is:

Time: 00:00:00
Date: April,8 2014.

And from this moment and all until we all don't die,Windows XP operating system is completely dead in the eyes of the Microsoft corporation...

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP OPERATING SYSTEM IS FROM THIS MOMENT COMPLETELY:
windows-xp-the-end-is-nigh-survey-says-its-time-to-say-goodbye-v1.jpg

S.T.A.R.S.

Signing off...

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Uhhhhh!!!

NOW I feel relaxed...

Alright folks...I am NOW (yes in midnight) going to take a 2 hours long shower in a super warm water to relax 100%!

Sooo...CYA!!! :)

strollin

Uhhhhh!!!

NOW I feel relaxed...

Alright folks...I am NOW (yes in midnight) going to take a 2 hours long shower in a super warm water to relax 100%!

Sooo...CYA!!! :)
STARS - You actually have another 24 hrs because support doesn't end until 23:59:59 on April 8th! Midnight of the 8th.

Tuffie

Our government wastes enough money as it is, but this is just taking the biscuits... :rolleyes:

They probably did the accounting on the change over pretty extensively.. A lot of hardware could require updating and if they aren't close to a hardware update cycle this could be a sensible cost effective solution.

spirit

Staff member
They probably did the accounting on the change over pretty extensively.. A lot of hardware could require updating and if they aren't close to a hardware update cycle this could be a sensible cost effective solution.

True, but mainstream support for XP ended in 2009. They should have thought about this 5 years ago and taken the appropriate steps over the following years in my opinion.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Hahaha well...I guess I am not the only XP fan. :D

I gotta be honest about one thing...every single computer I see where ever I go,ALMOST EACH ONE OF THEM is on XP.

Exactly.
Besides...if all they do are basic tasks and their hardware works perfectly fine I see no reason to update the hardware AND operating system.
Most of them probably have very big costs about other things anyway so they will do their best to save money where ever they can.
I can understand that...

And as for payed XP support from Microsoft...well...I see no reason why Microsoft would not do that as long as they can STILL earn money on a 13 years old operating system hehehe. ^.^