Are case fans supposed to run all the time?

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by winston, Mar 6, 2017.

1. winston

winston Member

Hi, I was wondering if the fan in the back of my case is supposed to run all the time? My psu and cpu fans work with no problem but the case fan is not. Is this normal? The case fan only starts when cooling is necessary?

Thank you

2. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

Case fan should be operating at all times, unless it is controlled by a PWM controller either from a separate pwm controller, or if the fan is connected to the mobo and the bios has the ability to control it.

beers likes this.
  3. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

If it isn't spinning the bearing likely died and the fan needs to be replaced.

Darren likes this.
  4. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

You can usually tell by manually spinning the fan either direction with your finger while it's off. If it doesn't "wiggle" as it comes to a stop then the bearing is bad. Spin a fan you know is good and watch it as it comes to a stop and you'll see what I mean. Hard to explain.

Intel_man and beers like this.
  5. winston

winston Member

The fan is connected to the motherboard in my case but I am not sure if the bios is able to control it.

okay, thank you

I understand, thank you for the tip :p!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  6. winston

winston Member

I changed the exhaust fan and it now works. I also added a new intake fan in the front for extra airflow.

7. _Glitch

_Glitch Active Member

Glad it worked out for ya.
    I have all my fans working in relation to my CPU temps. That way my system is quiet when the CPU isn't stressed out.
    For best result you will need a motherboard that can monitor and adjust the PWM fans connected to it.
    This is why you buy quality motherboards.

winston likes this.
  8. The VCR King

The VCR King Well-Known Member

If anyone knows about dying fan bearings, it's me. I've had 4 case fans burn bearings and get replaced over the years lol.

9. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Most of us around here actually work in the IT field so we've probably got ya beat on how many bad bearings we've seen. :)

10. The VCR King

The VCR King Well-Known Member

True, but for a residential PC owner I've had my fair share too

11. mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles Active Member

I had a bearing go on a Noctua fan and that's supposed to be impossible.

12. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

Thats cause they committed suicide due to the mass amounts of dust bunnies and assorted debris in your case...

13. mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles Active Member

Actually you're correct. That case had no dust filters and I got lazy for about 6 months. I also smoke like a chimney.