Are you going to get Vista for your laptop?

if one, which one?

• NO damn it!!

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Home basic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home premium

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Biz

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Ultimate (rich basterd)

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Maybe later

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

dhaynes

I purchased a new laptop in November so I get a free copy of the Business edition of Vista, but I will be waiting until more drivers come out and Vista has become more of a standard.

codeman0013

I have been running it for a month now with the business edition i'm just curious though where could i get an upgraded video card for my laptop i have been searching all over. It gets a score of 1.0 because of the video card the next lowest score is 3.5 so it could run aero if i got the better video card which i use to its fullest extent on my pc..

CharmPeddler

i just got a XPS 1710 laptop a month ago, so im getting the free upgrade to the home premium. im planning on waiting untill a week before the experation date to get it and then i will wait until the first service pack is out for it or untill the 64bit stuff has most the bugs worked out...

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];568728 said:
Not easily, but with most laptops you can upgrade the processor easily, I've been looking into a Core 2 Duo for mine.

yes you can but if the FSB is already limited a new processor won't be that much of an upgrade. However, you are right you can change out processors in some laptops.

-gunut-

I also saw that Dell only has the Vista option now. From everyones comments it sounds like all the systems will run and look like crap.

Geoff

VIP Member
I also saw that Dell only has the Vista option now. From everyones comments it sounds like all the systems will run and look like crap.

IMO it will run like crap on the majority of today's systems. But look what kind of computers were out when XP was first released, most people had a P3/Celeron ~1Ghz, 256MB of RAM, and a 64/128MB video card.

-gunut-

A friend of mine just ordered a Desktop from Dell that comes with Vista.

How do you think it will run for him?

He got:

Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB), FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows® Vista™ Home Premium w/1GB memory

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

I am waiting to see how it works on his system before I decide to love it or hate it. Also, what is the difference between Vista x64 and x86? I wonder what kind he got.

Geoff

VIP Member
A friend of mine just ordered a Desktop from Dell that comes with Vista.

How do you think it will run for him?

He got:

Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB), FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows® Vista™ Home Premium w/1GB memory

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

I am waiting to see how it works on his system before I decide to love it or hate it. Also, what is the difference between Vista x64 and x86? I wonder what kind he got.

It will run it very well, except it wont be the best for games (because of the 7300).

-gunut-

[-0MEGA-];569122 said:
It will run it very well, except it wont be the best for games (because of the 7300).

Really? My laptop had a 6800 and it worked very well with any game I tried

jasonz

[-0MEGA-];568111 said:
I doubt that, as of now still the only option is XP but you get the Vista upgrade coupon.

All the computers at Best buy in college station are gone until the new ones with Vista arive. Laptops, desktops, looks kinda wierd in there.

And no Vista for me. Cant afford it, dont feel like waiting for drivers, and i dont thing its worth it without good graphics. XP and ubuntu do just fine for me.

Boomer

got mine yesturday morning from costco. I love it so far! all my programs from XP work so far.

i got the HP dv9000 with t5500, 2 gigs ram and Nvidia go 7600.

takes a long time to boot (about 1min-1min 30secs) dont know y. its the same if i turn off ALL startup processes and services. but onces its up and running, it screams!

computerzgeek

I have an 80 GB hard disk and am dual-booting with XP Pro and Vista Ultimate....Got it like a month ago from MSDN Subscription...my Dad's actually

tlarkin

VIP Member
Vista has some things in it that just do not make any sense to me at all. Like for example SMB2 (server message block) which is what windows uses to file and print share. Now, in SMB, the version that XP uses runs a lot more effecient over the network. For example, in NT/2k/XP and Linux/unix/os x paltforms running SMB or SAMBA, when a user deleted a file it would send one packet to the resource and one packet back for verification. Now in SMB2, the new updated file/print sharing protocol in vista runs a bit different. From the command line, if you delete a file over the network it sends 8 packets to the resource and then 8 back. Not a huge increase, however its like 800% more bandwidth used.

Guess how many packets is sent when you delete a file from the GUI? 10, 30, 50, 150? Guess...answer is in white below this

1500, yup thats right 1500 packets

How many did you guess? LOL that is HUGE increase of network traffic.

Sources:

http://www.twit.tv/floww14
http://www.digg.com/podcasts/FLOSS_Weekly/20337
http://tamgo.wordpress.com/tag/microsoft/(scroll down to the vista review)

Seems that this probably won't happen when a visa box goes to another vista box, and previous versions of windows will use SMB1. So, what does that mean when like 75% of the servers that run the internet/business run Linux or Unix and have to talk to vista boxes? Will the 1500 packets cause bandwidth to be slaughtered? Or is it a ploy to get everyone running MS servers/enterprise solutions?

sorry I went off on a rant...

Last edited: