Armada RAM

Bobo

banned
I have a Compaq Armada E500 laptop with a pIII 1GHz processor and 128MB of RAM. It supports 512 MB of PC100 RAM in 2 slots. I cannot mix PC100 and PC133, but can I use just PC133? It has PC100 right now, and I think that is what it supports, but is PC133 backwards compatible?

Bobo

256MB of PC133 retail is $38 from newegg, 256MB of PC100 is $70. Why is that? And why is PC100 so hard to find?

Last edited:

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Bobo said:
And why is PC100 so hard to find?
because not many people need it now. the manufacturers realised, a while ago, and decided to stop making it/make not so many. thus, if you do need it, it will be more expensive to buy becuase its harder to find

X24

i believe that you can run pc133 if it fits........but really i am not completely sure.

Bobo

banned
Ku-sama said:
it will run, just at PC100 speeds

Are you positive? I really want to be sure about this, because I had seen some issues about HP laptops and compatible RAM

Ku-sama

banned
wait, i forgot it was a propitary machiene... you want PC100 SDRAM in the full size, or is it for a laptop?

Bobo

banned
Does anybody have an actual answer? I would like to be confident that the PC133 will work before I order it, which I was planning to do today.

MadModder

First of all, what he means by full-size RAM modules is most laptops have smaller modules called SODIMM, modern desktops use DDR SDRAM. Yes, you can buy a PC133 module and use it in a PC100 system safely.

Bobo

banned
Lord Anthrax said:
Either way though PC100 or PC133 should work with the machine
madmodder said:
Yes, you can buy a PC133 module and use it in a PC100 system safely.
Ku-sama said:
it will run, just at PC100 speeds
x24 said:
i believe that you can run pc133 if it fits

Where exactly did you guys get these replies?

It doesn't work! I put it in, turn it on, and the scrool lock, num lock, and caps lock lights come on like it will go through the POST, but nothing happens except for a little static from the speakers.

When I try a different type of RAM that fits, it makes a repeated beeping. Is this significant at all?

Is there anything I can do to make it work? I really don't want to RMA it and waste the money.

BrandonL

ok what you have to do is check the details on your computer and make sure that the two products are similar in manufacturing. idk how to put this into a broad concept... ah ok i got one

ie: you can't play a ninteno game on a playstation 2... kinda like that

and also... do a test run with the new MB card to see if it works... if it doesn't then remove it and go back to the older one... can't hurt to try.

Bobo

banned
BrandonL said:
ok what you have to do is check the details on your computer and make sure that the two products are similar in manufacturing.
How?

and also... do a test run with the new MB card to see if it works... if it doesn't then remove it and go back to the older one... can't hurt to try.
they work, just not in my computer. You didin't read the thread, did you:p

Lax

VIP Member
If no type of RAM has worked so far then there's a problem somewhere else. The 3 beeps signifies it's something with the RAM (card or slot) so you could have a broken memory slot.

BrandonL

well... that's a good question. i agree w/ Lord AnthraX. if none of the RAM models are working then there must be a problem within it that you need to fix. I guess it couldn't hurt though to try other models

(preferably, use a model that is made by the same company that makes the system, if possible)

Bobo

banned
Lord AnthraX said:
If no type of RAM has worked so far then there's a problem somewhere else. The 3 beeps signifies it's something with the RAM (card or slot) so you could have a broken memory slot.
Nonono, the ram I had in there worked fine (128MB.) When there was no ram, it beeped. WIth the new ram (pc133 2 x 256) it did nothing except a little static from the speakers.

BTW, something tells me that neither of you read the whole thread.:rolleyes:

BrandonL

no i have read the whole thread... it's just that i've taken a part in so many threads that i might be a little slow with the uptake lol.

do you think the static in the speakers could be because of your sound system or ur audio diagnostics?

Bobo

banned
BrandonL said:
do you think the static in the speakers could be because of your sound system or ur audio diagnostics?
What difference would that make? I don't think that the static is anything of importance, all I took it to mean is that the laptop had power. Which I already knew, actually, cause the num lock/scroll lock/caps lock lights come on and stay on. Does this mean anything to you?