Assembly, how long does it take you?

ilovefishsticks

my first build took me about 2-3 hours to build, my bros took me only an hour. takes little time at all once you know what your doing

Geoff

VIP Member
Praetor said:
For sure a couple hours ... factoring in experience i wouldnt be surprised if people could through together a system in about 10 minutes .. depends mostly on how finicky the case is :)

exactly! The cases i've gotten have all had the usb headers single connectors, and there labeled differently then what the motherboard says, so it takes a while to figure it out. And also getting all the wires together and out of the way for improved airflow, all this stuff adds up. So it takes me about 1-2 hours, if i only work on that for that time.

Altanore

I just recently did my first built computer. (the one i have now). Was on an old Pentium 3 machine.. yikes.. was even playing most modern games with it. There was some lag.. but with all settings low.. i managed to get pretty smooth graphics. How did I manage to handle that? I don't know.

Anyway... this computer took me around 3 hours to build.. and I was sweating like crazy since it was so hot in my room. Had a few troubles but now the system is great! Sure is a huge change from what I had before.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Isnt that the truth, and if you ordered all the right parts and they all work
Indeed, i try not to order but rather i handpick my parts so thats usually not an issue

X24

If its a good case (ie few screw or all snap in, and u can open up the side really good and a good fit for all) then aslong as everything works, it don't take more then 30 min to get it all put together, a lil more time installing windows XP, but still, shouldn't take more then 3 hours altogether unless u are trying to get everything perfect and make sure nothing will go wrong and stuff, but chances are, if u just go kinda normal speed and check it out, nothing should go wrong, and if it does, just open up the case and look check everything out quick

Ctcoyote16

Building Time?

I'm just wondering, how long did it take you guys to build your rigs (after you gathered all your parts)?

34erd

My first build took me 3 days because I had no idea what I was doing and didnt look on the CD for my motherboard manual :rolleyes:

NeuromancerWGDD'U

I'd say about 45 minutes to an hour. Nothing big, but you have to be careful not to rush and forget something (like stand-offs, that's a really bad thing to forget). The single thing that took the most time was the thermal interface material application (it was my first time), which took about 15 minutes to get right.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Depends on the hardware.

If you've got alot of harddrives, takes time to get all the wiring hidden. Or if you have alot of case fans, screwing them each in is a pain. Or water cooling, etc.

For a basic computer like mine, about an hour at the most. For a first time builder it can take a day or 2 of course, everyone runs into un-familiar problems mainly with jumper placement, wiring, and trying to find the right plug.

fatal1ty_fan

45-1 hour for mein but i took me a lot longer to get the software cuz my dad wanted to do it and hes an idiot it took him a couple of weeks (no lie)

davie23223

I am going to build my first one, after you put all the parts together you just power up your computer and thats it? How do you install the drivers, I don't get how to install the drivers from the floppy disk drive or cdrom when both the cdrom and floppy drives havent been detected and installed yet.

moneygood

drivers

you just put in the operating systems disk. then you follow the intructions and it will sort it will load it for you.I personally use XP, it was easy enough to load. Once you have got your operating systems working then you just put everything else in the same way. you just put the disk in/floppy then you just follow the intructions. it should detect the cd drive/floppy if it has been connected properly, it should just be a case of putting the disk/floppy in and it will load itself. its so simple. just follow the intructions
good luck

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey

If you really know what you are doing and just get straight to the job, it should not take longer than 1 hour. What always takes me the most time is making the cabling look nice and making sure that everything is tight in its place.

JAN :D

gamerman4

My first build was a socket A AthlonXP, the retention clip was a bi*ch to get on because it took a lot of force and I was afraid to break my mobo. The entire build on that took about an hour.
My second build was an A64 system(in sig) the retention clip was really easy to put on and that build took about 1 and 1/2 hours due to having to hide my wires and plug in all of the fans and stuff. My previous system had no space to hide anything and had few fans. It took me the longest time to get all the wires nicely tucked away because at the time I didn't have rounded IDE cables so I had to move all the wires around the huge wide cable. Thankfully I have SATA HDD so I only had one IDE cable. I also have no need for floppy disk.

Fuzz

Took me about 3 hours for everything (software, hardware, and drivers). If you have any comman sense it shouldnt take long.

34erd

Fuzz said:
Took me about 3 hours for everything (software, hardware, and drivers). If you have any comman sense it shouldnt take long.
Hey I had no manual only a "quick guide" which described the layout of the board so thats not fair ;)